Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My very first manual lenses - what to buy
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
I would suggest the Steinheil Auto D Tele Quinar 2.8/135 plus some tubes.. The colour rendition for butterflies would be 1st class

Admittedly an uncommon lens,
sometimes expensive
but if you are patient you can get a bargain like €100 for a mint condition like I did Smile

I will prefer the chrome VL version. Build quality is far superior of later Auto D version and focus down to 1.1M. It may not be as sharp as the later version but it have the signature color of Steinheil with 1st class bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree yours is a very nice lens Smile and as you say the best lens is the one you have with you.

These Steinheils would be excellent for colourful butterflies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Yes I agree yours is a very nice lens Smile and as you say the best lens is the one you have with you.

Yes. This is my extra copy. It goes to a new home today.

There are some enlargers in 100-135mm have very nice bokeh. Triplets, Tessars, Dialyts, Plasmats, Heliars......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Annoying Czech wrote:
As I've red this many times, what about Primotar 135, or Diaplan 80/100?

Might that be a clever, better move to reach another sexy circles (made with lens almost no one actually owns) FOR REAL BARGAIN or am I out of major brain functions for the rest of the night?

I found out that the Diaplan or Pentacon AV 100/2.8 is a copy of the Trioplan 100, and I found up to now no differences in image quality to the Trioplan 100 wideopen. Those projection lenses need some simple DIY when you have the outer focus tube. And they have no iris and don´t look as good as the Trioplan.
But they work very well and are cheap!
In Germany several people use the Diaplan lenses now.
I prefer the 100mm/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I say "life's a risk!" to myself and made two bids on ebay.de shortly before leaving to work. To my surprise (and buttloads of luck), I won all of them Shocked.

Both auctions ended up very close. Both are sold singificantly higher here in Czech Rep.

I'm waiting for Tair 133 too. But that might be all for some time - my wallet/credit card cries heavily.

Also, this is todays' Anthocharis cardamines male with Triotar 135/4. It may not be perfect, but finally the work is leading somewhere Very Happy.

(EDIT: PP included.)

Have a fine Easter!

Marek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, a question: I want to buy an extension rings (tubes) for macro/closeup photos.

The problem is, what will I need? Not complicating my photo-life, I mostly buy M42s (the discussed Tair 133 will probably be M39); my camera is Canon EOS 60d.

Do I need a special rings/tubes for all systems (M42, M39, later probably EXA) or is there any better solution (like one and only tubes/rings made exactly for EOS and compatible with all systems)?

What about, lets say, this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentacon-Plunger-Ring-Set-Set-Extension-Tubes-M42-42mm-Photo-Kruger-5480-/191109806957?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item2c7f083b6d

What's good price? Or average price?

Thanks in advance,

Marek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Annoying Czech wrote:
Guys, a question: I want to buy an extension rings (tubes) for macro/closeup photos.

The problem is, what will I need? Not complicating my photo-life, I mostly buy M42s (the discussed Tair 133 will probably be M39); my camera is Canon EOS 60d.

Do I need a special rings/tubes for all systems (M42, M39, later probably EXA) or is there any better solution (like one and only tubes/rings made exactly for EOS and compatible with all systems)?

What about, lets say, this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentacon-Plunger-Ring-Set-Set-Extension-Tubes-M42-42mm-Photo-Kruger-5480-/191109806957?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item2c7f083b6d

What's good price? Or average price?

Thanks in advance,

Marek

It doesn't really matter where you put the tubes optically - between the camera and the adapter, or between the adapter and the lens. EOS tubes are probably quicker to use, M42 tubes will take an age to screw together. Also, if you get EOS tubes, there is a chance they will also be useful with your EOS lenses and other adapters, possibly giving you auto functions if you get electronic coupling (someone else maybe able to confirm, that is the way they work on Nikon)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Please, guys, is this Exacta mount? I am not 100% sure (Trioplan 100 from ebay.de with wrong item and mount description, otherwise the lens is very well-preserved)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Exakta

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys, please:

If winning st. like this once
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zeiss-Sonnar-4-13-5-cm-135-mm-fur-Contax-II-III-u-a-/111352768881?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item19ed246971 Zeiss Sonnar 4 / 13,5 cm (135 mm) für Contax II, III u.a.

are those right adapters I'd eventually need for my EOS?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Y-Contax-Yashica-Lens-to-CANON-EOS-EF-Mount-adapter-/230445455549?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item35a79e98bd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Mount-Adapter-with-Program-AF-Confirm-for-CY-Contax-Lens-To-Canon-EOS-DC136-/141293708174?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item20e5c2e38e

Dekuji mnohokrat Very Happy

Marek

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Hi, guys, please:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zeiss-Sonnar-4-13-5-cm-135-mm-fur-Contax-II-III-u-a-/111352768881?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item19ed246971 Zeiss Sonnar 4 / 13,5 cm (135 mm) für Contax II, III u.a.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Y-Contax-Yashica-Lens-to-CANON-EOS-EF-Mount-adapter-/230445455549?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item35a79e98bd
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Mount-Adapter-with-Program-AF-Confirm-for-CY-Contax-Lens-To-Canon-EOS-DC136-/141293708174?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item20e5c2e38e

Marek

No. The lens is in Contax rangefinder mount, the adapters are for Contax/Yashica mount for SLR lenses. Contax rangefinder lenses can't be adapted to EOS, not with infinity focus at least. The flange distange for Contax RF is 35mm, for Canon EF it is 44mm.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Marek wrote:
Hi, guys, please:

Marek

No. The lens is in Contax rangefinder mount, the adapters are for Contax/Yashica mount for SLR lenses. Contax rangefinder lenses can't be adapted to EOS, not with infinity focus at least. The flange distange for Contax RF is 35mm, for Canon EF it is 44mm.

Thanks

*Avoiding the item with broken heart*

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots!

This might not be quite your cup of tea, but my favorite vintage macro lens is the 40mm f3.5 Kilfitt Macro-Kilar shown on one of my Exas on the right:

There is an Exakta lens to Canon Eos adapter available (about 25 bucks on evilbay) that works well with my Rebel. It allows me to use my dozen or so Exakta lenses digitally, and the Exakta to Olympus Pen F adapter allows me to use them on my Pen F SLRs

I normally shoot Pentax digitally, because the backwards compatibility of the system allows for just thousands of Kmount lenses directly, as well as the M42 screwmount lenses with the adapter. Great fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
JohnBar wrote:

Yes. This is my extra copy. It goes to a new home today.

There are some enlargers in 100-135mm have very nice bokeh. Triplets, Tessars, Dialyts, Plasmats, Heliars......

First off, Marek, great job with the Triotar! Next, as Calvin mentioned in his post, check out some enlarging lenses. I have had great luck with old Kodak Enlarging Ektars (very inexpensive, under $20 US, usually). Here is one of my old posts with samples and how to adapt to Canon EOS: http://forum.mflenses.com/90mm-f-4-5-enlarging-ektar-t41717,highlight,%2Bektar.html

Another of my favorite macros, which, with some patience can be had for reasonable price is the 100mm f/4.0 Bellows Takumar. You use it on a bellows or with a helcoid tube, since it has no native provision for focusing.

Keep up the great work!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
I would start with this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

It might help avoid unnecessary expenses.

True, but this is a gear thread. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
On the other hand, the M39 ext. tubes and so forth look damn sexy Very Happy (aluminium)

You can get anodized aluminium extension tubes for Canon and without the electronic contacts (since for MF you don't need them) for pennies on eBay.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was just curious what can be red from the serial numbers "tattooed" on my silver (sometimes black) darlings?

Code:
Helios 44-2 - 78148082
Tair 133 - N024965
Tair 300 PhS - 4557 (?!)
Telemegor 180 - 1653960
Trioplan 100 - 2529542
Triotar 135 - 4732709

What I'm interested in is obviously its "date of birth"!

Are last two numbers on Russian lens year of production or am I just far too tired and getting paranoid?

Marek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, respecting my strong butterfly focus, I assumed Volna-9 macro might be a good pick for me for its market value - any thoughts?

Is IQ good enough to do a really solid macro? Any known problems tied to this ugly small lens? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for an old manual lens type I've never done much research about - wide angle (the wider, the better).

Any recommendations? I want to shoot both indoor finished interior scenes for my stepfathers' business and butterflies Smile The only wide angle I've ever messed with was Flektogon 35 my friend has.

Must go for a reasonably good price, since I'm unemployed again Very Happy

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the suggestions so far are admirable but rather exotic for a beginner and quite expensive. Why not get a Minolta 35 -70mm f3.5 macro . It would suit your butterfly interest, is of very high quality and still amazingly cheap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Minolta 35-70 is a good choice. Another choice would be the Vivitar 28-90 Series 1. Do some searches on here, that lens really is nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Minolta looks sharp and super-cheap. Vivitar looks rather soft.

What I forgot to mention in my first post - any silver German, Russian alternative? Very Happy

(And wider than 35mm?)

What about Primagon or Flek 35?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older f/2.8 Flek is better built than f/2.4 version. Primagon very good, but slow. Then there is MIR 20mm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, just thought... have you considered Lydith?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
AH, just thought... have you considered Lydith?

+1. Good but cheap lens.