Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My New Konica 50 1.7 EE early version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: My New Konica 50 1.7 EE early version Reply with quote

Hi !

Yesterday I received Konica 50 1.7 EE version.
I think that tomorrow I'll decently test it ...Hoping in a sun- day Razz
This morning, while I gone to work, I shooted these few pics ....without sun, only clouds Mad

First (f1.7) and second ( f2.8 ) pics have focus on tree/plant .
The Third, f 9/10 ? ...half stop between 8 and 11.

My considerations:

- I don't like contrast at f1.7, It's not clarity in my opinion. (you watch the passage from the plant- focus at out of focus, It don't cut Sad )
- This lens is very severe for manual focus, I have very little tollerance about focus: the 24mm and 40mm are easiest, most immediate, many tollerance !

I'm sure that tomorrow I'll be able to have a real and complete idea about this 50 mm 1.7

Give me you suggestion / impressions
Do you think that this lens is more difficult than 40 mm? my mistake ?

f1.7
BIG SIZE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92799124@N07/8475191893/sizes/k/in/photostream/

f2.8
BIG SIZE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8528/8476280010_134aad24cc_k.jpg

f half stop between 8 and 11
BIG SIZE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8475190387_b4db7918ae_k.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old lens with weaker coating fix contrast , color and sharpness and you will love it, just auto color, contrast works well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Old lens with weaker coating fix contrast , color and sharpness and you will love it, just auto color, contrast works well.

Hi Attila,

thx for support.

You spoke about auto color. Is it a setting that I have to put in camera ?

At last, even your 50 mm lenses are sensitive to the focus? little tolerance ?

Regards

Pasquale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, my pics about today:

Last edited by versanteest on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Acdsee pro 6.0 to fix color issues. Put into google , maker website will come, inexpensive software with great batch process feature.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I use Acdsee pro 6.0 to fix color issues. Put into google , maker website will come, inexpensive software with great batch process feature.

Hi Attila,

Thx 4 suggestion.

I know Acdsee, I use It from many years, It's my photo manager.
So, are you speaking about "auto levels" button by Editor ?
Another question, these colour issues, is a problem about my lens or is it tipically about konica 50 1.7 / old lenses ?

Regards

Pasquale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indoor shots:

BIG SIZE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8487552467_7e2ff6c769_k.jpg

BIG SIZE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8488639632_3366e3cf23_k.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm I'm confused...do you like the lens or not Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
H'mm I'm confused...do you like the lens or not Wink

I don't know.
I expected more sharpness and better performance about color.
The focus peaking range it's very short than 40mm and 24mm. Crying or Very sad large margin of error.
If you check my topics about 24mm and 40mm, all my photo was published without editing by software... this is an important aspect.
Maybe, I think that I didn't use it well, I need other experience time with this lens.

At last, I think that I'll try 50mm 1.4

Pasquale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a clear cut case of too high expectations not matching reality here. That's why I've argued against overhyping these lenses in the Hexanon thread. http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-t56504,start,60.html The hype creates unrealistic expectations and ultimately leads to frustration.

I've looked through the samples, and to my eyes the lens performs more or less how it should. Some people will go all poetic and write "razor sharp", "so sharp that you can cut stones with it right from wide open" and similar nonsense, but you should not buy into that. The key is to understand that this is a good lens and it will take great pictures if you use it wisely. For that you need to learn the lens.

For example, there is always a penalty associated with wide open use, stop it down a couple of stops and the sharpness and bite increases a couple of notches. There are some pictures in your samples taken wide open that shouldn't have been taken wide open (e.g. street in broad daylight or the swan in the pond). That does not mean that the lens shouldn't be used wide open, but learn when such use is called for (e.g. some portraits, especially in low light).

I don't think 50mm f1.4 will solve your issues. In my experience it's a slightly better lens, with slightly nicer colors, but it's not going to give you bitingly sharp wide open landscapes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I think we have a clear cut case of too high expectations not matching reality here. That's why I've argued against overhyping these lenses in the Hexanon thread. http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-t56504,start,60.html The hype creates unrealistic expectations and ultimately leads to frustration.

I've looked through the samples, and to my eyes the lens performs more or less how it should. Some people will go all poetic and write "razor sharp", "so sharp that you can cut stones with it right from wide open" and similar nonsense, but you should not buy into that. The key is to understand that this is a good lens and it will take great pictures if you use it wisely. For that you need to learn the lens.

For example, there is always a penalty associated with wide open use, stop it down a couple of stops and the sharpness and bite increases a couple of notches. There are some pictures in your samples taken wide open that shouldn't have been taken wide open (e.g. street in broad daylight or the swan in the pond). That does not mean that the lens shouldn't be used wide open, but learn when such use is called for (e.g. some portraits, especially in low light).

I don't think 50mm f1.4 will solve your issues. In my experience it's a slightly better lens, with slightly nicer colors, but it's not going to give you bitingly sharp wide open landscapes.

I think,

you're right !

I'll try to understand and to learn this lens but without high aspectative.
A question, someone to known if this lens is superior ?

If is possible, I prefer direct experience from comparision

Regards

Pasquale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeated indoor shots about yesterday.
Finally a decent out-focus cut Smile

shots were in RAW mode