Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My M42 to 4/3rds adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

i treated myself to a M42 screw to 4/3rds Digital adapter for my Olympus E-500 from SRB Photographic (UK)
It was just over £20 with postage and tax on TOP of the Postage !
I have tried it with a couple of lenses at the moment -- my 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar and my £1 Camera Club Auction Bargain lens the Russian Jupiter 85mm f2 which becomes a 170mm f2 !
When I have got some more interesting results i can show you some.
Here it is with the Russian Jupiter 85mm f2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you didn't go for a PK adapter, (such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTAX-K-PK-LENS-TO-OLYMPUS-4-3-FOUR-THIRDS-ADAPTER-PANASONIC-DMC-L10-LEICA-3/262008592519?hash=item3d00edd887:g:Fo8AAOxywOtSXfHf)
Then you'd have been able to use your collection of K mount lenses as well as the M42 ones.

My 4/3 adapters are all MICRO four thirds ones which leaves room for some extra toys (helicoid/tilt etc) Friends

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
Auction Bargain lens the Russian Jupiter 85mm f2 which becomes a 170mm f2 !

Just in case you notice something odd Pete, I'm not sure you're getting a 170mm f2. From what I remember, you still have an 85mm f2, but it is projecting on to a cropped sensor which leaves you a field of view equivalent to a 170mm. There's no 2x magnification as such, so you'll notice the perspective stays at 85mm.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
pentaxpete wrote:

Just in case you notice something odd Pete, I'm not sure you're getting a 170mm f2. From what I remember, you still have an 85mm f2, but it is projecting on to a cropped sensor which leaves you a field of view equivalent to a 170mm. There's no 2x magnification as such, so you'll notice the perspective stays at 85mm.

You're not wrong in that it's still an 85mm but it's cropped to give the same FOV as a 170mm.
Perspective is actually a feature of subject distance not focal length. The narrower FOV from the cropped image will encourage a position similar to that chosen with a 170 so the perspective will reflect that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I screwed the Jupiter onto my Asahi Pentax S3 and had a look at my boy's Tropical Fish Tank here indoors -- how large it was in viewfinder , THEN screwed it into E-500 and looked and fish tank looked the SAME SIZE but less area around it -- so I understand now, the circle of lens coverage for 4/3rds digital is smaller than the 'Full Frame FILM camera lens' BUT the sizes are the same of objects.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
pentaxpete wrote:

You're not wrong in that it's still an 85mm but it's cropped to give the same FOV as a 170mm.
Perspective is actually a feature of subject distance not focal length. The narrower FOV from the cropped image will encourage a position similar to that chosen with a 170 so the perspective will reflect that.

Do you mean the photographer will stand further from the object? If so, I get you. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
DConvert wrote:

Do you mean the photographer will stand further from the object? If so, I get you. Thanks.

Like Dog
That's right. FOV often determines where the photographer stands giving rise to the misconception that focal length itself affects perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to see some results. Hope it goes good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
DConvert wrote:

Like Dog
That's right. FOV often determines where the photographer stands giving rise to the misconception that focal length itself affects perspective.

Cheers Like 1 small .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My M42 to 4/3rds adapter Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
pentaxpete wrote:

Absolutely correct imho.

Any 170mm lens on FF will give the same field of view and framing as any 85mm lens gives on 4/3. Of course, lenses from smaller format may vignette on larger format camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put some Test Results in a picture area of the Forum -- maybe photos should NOT be added HERE ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice I think.

I think they could go here for reasons the topic fits, and, the photos take the same disk space no matter where posted, and, there's no need for a pointer from this thread to a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/tests-m42-lenses-on-olympus-4-3rds-with-adapter-t78575.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well -- I did a Video on all my 'Adapters' and showed M42 Screw lenses on various Camera Bodies -- you can see it here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAkStTNqh84&lc=z232v50z2ou4zfitjacdp43ainvwxytlvqkg20n05d5w03c010c&feature=em-comments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete!

I think you could get a Nikon to Tamron adapter to compare with the adapter combination with the added element.