Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first try here...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: My first try here... Reply with quote

... to post something about a lens and their sample shoots.

I bought this lens from a well known photodealer in Duesseldorf, Germany. I'm not sure what I have to think about this lens, special about the optical properties, because I have never made experience with known good tele-lenses. So I will post here some pictures or links.
The lens is in a good condition and well build. But optical it has CA-problems wide open. I don't much about this lens but perhabs someone here can say more about it.

A 100% crop of the pic:

A 100% crop of the pic:

A 100% crop of the pic:

at last two notes:

- you can find more sample-shoots here
    -I mad every pic in the picturestyle mode "neutral" that means there was not any sharpening process in the picture, neither in photoshop nor in the camera itself. Idon't know if that the right way to take sample shots - what did think you about?

cheers
belba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Belba,

what aperture was used for the last shot? Seems to be full open and looks more awful than my worst Helios 44 wide open in the edges.
First one is much better - but I think this is the result from good composition and the shorter distance of the object.

Well known dealer in Düsseldorf? Sounds like Koch...

Michael

P.S.: Nice wordpress theme you have on your site. Which gallery plugin do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Belba!

This lens' results look pretty much like the typical "cheap" tele lens.
I've got a Super Varexon 3.5/200 which produces quite similar pictures.
Can be very nice (as in your first examples) but also can show some CAs (like in your last picture).

But actually, I think it is not too bad. You can remove CAs (they are not that strong here) and resharpen the pics so that you get pretty good results with this lens!

If you don't shoot tele shots often, that's really good enough.

For me a very good wide angle lens is also much more important than a good tele lens.

Maybe you should keep your eyes open for a Pentacon 4/200 or a TAIR-3S 4.5/300.
I hope I can recommend a Jupiter-21 4/200 soon. Wink

These lenses are not too expensive either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ looks similar to my Hanimex 80-200 - i.e. a bit hit and miss. As such I'd agree with Carsten's comments.

The Meyer Orestegor/Pentacon 4/200 is very good when used wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Michael:
Borges wrote:
Hi Belba,
what aperture was used for the last shot? Seems to be full open and looks more awful than my worst Helios 44 wide open in the edges.

As I remember, it was wide open

Borges wrote:
First one is much better - but I think this is the result from good composition and the shorter distance of the object.

The object was much more nearer. Thats correct. Also I have chosen a aperature of f4 or f5,6 for this picture.

Borges wrote:
Well known dealer in Düsseldorf? Sounds like Koch...

Yes you have right, it was Koch. At my last visit, all lenses with M42 mount was solded out, the nearly same at another two photodealers in Köln, there was few or solded out M42 lenses. I ask me if are the M42 lenses so much pupular currently?

Borges wrote:
P.S.: Nice wordpress theme you have on your site. Which gallery plugin do you use?

I'm using the Wordpress-DE edition with the "Dark 3Chemical DE" theme. I have modified it slightly for my needs

cheers

belba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucis,

I think same like you. As I have not found a better tele-lens I will use this one with an aperature of f4 or higer.

A wide angle is important for me too and this is currently the onliest lens wich I want to buy new and as AF lens. So I will buy the Tokina 12-24.

Cheers

belba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The Tokina 12-24 is an almost perfect choice! Excellent lens! I like mine very much and would never give it away again.