Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first roll with the YashicaMat...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

This afternoon I went to the lab. I expected them to ask me for something around 8€, but the old woman there said something like:" It has to be done manually everything and show me the bill for 20,15€. Just to develop and scan to CD... (It's becoming an expensive hobby... Wink )

Here you have some of the pictures, taken on Reala 100 film using the F16/sunshine rule:

Promising, but I was expecting something more... (That's the photographer, not the equipment).

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Promising, but I was expecting something more

On the contrary, I think these are very good samples.
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Jesito, Particularly like 2 and No3
you might try these guys for the processing cards ?2.29 each for slide film developing if you buy 10
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1210&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

developed by these guys,
http://www.dlab7.com/dlab7_site/web/

based in the chanel islands

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Jes!
#3 is Laurence style

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
and show me the bill for 20,15€. Just to develop and scan to CD...

Ouch ! I'm not so sure I will finish the roll in my Zeiss Nettar Confused

Quote:
Promising, but I was expecting something more... (That's the photographer, not the equipment).

Yeah, sure Laughing

Really nice pictures, Jes ! I'm jealous ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Jes! Scanning also not bad at all! Please share more! I love all of them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Looking good Jesito, Particularly like 2 and No3
you might try these guys for the processing cards ?2.29 each for slide film developing if you buy 10
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1210&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

developed by these guys,
http://www.dlab7.com/dlab7_site/web/

based in the chanel islands

Thanks Bob, I'll take it into account. My current lab has lost a customer....

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
very nice Jes!
#3 is Laurence style

Thanks, Poilu. Larry is always a source of inspiration...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

Ouch ! I'm not so sure I will finish the roll in my Zeiss Nettar Confused

Please, do it. Sure you will find a cheaper lab. My daugther has just sent me a phone message telling she has found a much cheaper, professional lab next home.... And Bob has posted some info to a cheap lab in the U.K.

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great pictures Jes! Scanning also not bad at all! Please share more! I love all of them!

Here you have, Attila:

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dreaming about Spanish sky and live , I like very much your culture, people and country of course.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all FINE images, they hold my interest!

I personally think the first image is a truly fine piece of art. The pattern, the colors, and the composition are superb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great first outing with that camera. As you can see from the third shot (which I really like BTW). The Yashinon lens can really sponge up some unwanted light. If the acc hood you have is not always enough. Try making one from cardboard. Make it as large as possible. You can test for vigneting on the viewing lens. If you use a tripod, a clamp and blind or umbrella is the best option. Nice Jes, you will have a lot of fun with that camera. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I just dreaming about Spanish sky and live , I like very much your culture, people and country of course.

Thanks, Attila! Smile
It's a pity that we know very little of yours, even we're learning some through your pictures. So, please post more.
Thanks!

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
These are all FINE images, they hold my interest!

I personally think the first image is a truly fine piece of art. The pattern, the colors, and the composition are superb.

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, Larry. This roll was somewhat trying to follow your track, (not to "copy" ideas but to be able to compare results).

That picture (to me) lacks the sharpness of yours. The top side (corresponding to the farthest zone) is out of focus. Now I know I should always use the tripod to try to get a wider DOF. That day was cloudy. The picture was taken inside the Saint Amelia's Park, a green spot in the middle of the city. I was carrying the tripod but I forgot the fast base for the camera, so I only could lean the camera against the tripod, but not fixing to it. If I recall properly, it was taken at 1/30, F/5.6

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I think this is a great first outing with that camera. As you can see from the third shot (which I really like BTW). The Yashinon lens can really sponge up some unwanted light. If the acc hood you have is not always enough. Try making one from cardboard. Make it as large as possible. You can test for vigneting on the viewing lens. If you use a tripod, a clamp and blind or umbrella is the best option. Nice Jes, you will have a lot of fun with that camera. Very Happy

Hi Andy, thanks for the comment. You're rigth. It was taken without the lens hood. I'm still figuring out how to set up a solid one. I think I got a solution, but I need some time to implement it. I'll post a tuto on it...

And yes, you're right again. I'm having a lot Smile of fun with this camera (and also with the Isolette). I'm afraid the 6x6 format gives a much better quality to the pictures than the 35mm. and the squared format is more up to my taste, so probably I will stick mainly to it for film from now on.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Nice shots, Jes. Given it was the first time out with an unfamiliar camera, the results are pretty damn good.

Jesito wrote:

Well, you could always oversharpen, over-saturate and horribly HDR them and stick them up on flickr and watch the acclaim roll in Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice shots, Jes. Given it was the first time out with an unfamiliar camera, the results are pretty damn good.

Jesito wrote:

Well, you could always oversharpen, over-saturate and horribly HDR them and stick them up on flickr and watch the acclaim roll in Smile

You're right, Dave. These ones are unretouched... Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
This afternoon I went to the lab. I expected them to ask me for something around 8€, but the old woman there said something like:" It has to be done manually everything and show me the bill for 20,15€. Just to develop and scan to CD... (It's becoming an expensive hobby... Wink )

Here you have some of the pictures, taken on Reala 100 film using the F16/sunshine rule:

Jes.

Loved the third picture of the woodlands.. very evocative... Smile

Somewhere in Brussels I have 2 Yashica TLR's - a Yashica 44 / 127 and a Yash 'G' and a number of other roll film cameras, they've been there since 2001, don't know (I am in Oregon now) if I will ever retrieve them... and at that cost per shot maybe not!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My first roll with the YashicaMat... Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

Loved the third picture of the woodlands.. very evocative... Smile

Somewhere in Brussels I have 2 Yashica TLR's - a Yashica 44 / 127 and a Yash 'G' and a number of other roll film cameras, they've been there since 2001, don't know (I am in Oregon now) if I will ever retrieve them... and at that cost per shot maybe not!

Thanks for your comment, Nemesis.
Don't be fooled by that price, it was a robbery!. I've found a pro lab that has quoted me around 5,5€ for developing and scanning to CD... And that's the price I use to pay for the same work on 35mm film.
Film is not (yet) abusively priced, it's only matter of finding a proper lab...

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote: I was carrying the tripod but I forgot the fast base for the camera, so I only could lean the camera against the tripod, but not fixing to it. If I recall properly, it was taken at 1/30, F/5.6

I see. I too, think you will find a surprising difference with the camera affixed solidly to the tripod. Also, with the Yashica Mat, I close the finder and put some weight on the camera itself, sometimes a spare cloth with a rock on top. It's quite a difference, really, especially when you are shooting slower than 1/125th.

It's not that the camera's shutter moves the camera at ALL. But, there can be surface vibrations (especially near a fast-running stream that generates vibrations from its own breeze and the movement of large rocks when the stream is fast) that CAN make a difference. You would not think that it would be pronounced, but when I've compared some 2-second shots at high resolution, it's enough to see the difference (sometimes). So, it's worth making the camera as steady as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jes, great shots.
In the first batch the last 3 are very excellent!
The one of the building truly captures its character and age in the stone work.
The woodland scene has an almost mystical quality.
The last one is very striking with its high contrast.

With shots like these developing is well worth the investment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Jesito wrote: I was carrying the tripod but I forgot the fast base for the camera, so I only could lean the camera against the tripod, but not fixing to it. If I recall properly, it was taken at 1/30, F/5.6

I see. I too, think you will find a surprising difference with the camera affixed solidly to the tripod. Also, with the Yashica Mat, I close the finder and put some weight on the camera itself, sometimes a spare cloth with a rock on top. It's quite a difference, really, especially when you are shooting slower than 1/125th.

It's not that the camera's shutter moves the camera at ALL. But, there can be surface vibrations (especially near a fast-running stream that generates vibrations from its own breeze and the movement of large rocks when the stream is fast) that CAN make a difference. You would not think that it would be pronounced, but when I've compared some 2-second shots at high resolution, it's enough to see the difference (sometimes). So, it's worth making the camera as steady as possible.

Thanks Larry!. I now understand why my tripod has a big hook hanging from the bottom side of the central column... (just to load some weight there! Wink ). Nice to know!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
Wow Jes, great shots.
In the first batch the last 3 are very excellent!
The one of the building truly captures its character and age in the stone work.
The woodland scene has an almost mystical quality.
The last one is very striking with its high contrast.

With shots like these developing is well worth the investment.

Thanks, Jim!. What most puzzles me is the quality difference between these shots and the ones taken with the digital SLR:

The back tower in digital:
(Canon 350, Pancolar 50mm 1.8 ISO 100, unretouched):

It's not the same composition, but the differences between sky saturation and colours are evident. The film one has a more natural feeling.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great shots. I just got my first roll with the rolleicord done - 7.99 gbp for a machine development, small prints and scan.

How do you enjoy using a TLR?