Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first roll with the YashicaMat...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesito wrote: It's not the same composition, but the differences between sky saturation and colours are evident. The film one has a more natural feeling.

I agree. Quite a difference, actually. Reala film is a fabulous "warm" film that puts some emphasis on magenta spectrum. All other colors are as natural as "real life" to me.

In fact, if I take an image of heather with Reala, the magenta coloration tends to oversature. But that's no problem really.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a re-look at your original image of the castellated structure. And sure enough, there is a bit of magenta in the clouds. The whole image is not only a fine composition, but looks very very natural for colors. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
These are great shots. I just got my first roll with the rolleicord done - 7.99 gbp for a machine development, small prints and scan.

How do you enjoy using a TLR?

Hi Richard!,

This first roll had a twofold purpose: To test the camera (and it has proven to be in excellent shape), and to try that new way of shooting, with the waist level finder and the mirrored image on the focusing screen.

To me the experience has been superb. By looking to a different plane, I get isolated of the environment and I see through the camera only. Much easier to concentrate on composition. And the squared format is much adequate for me than the 35mm one.
In summary, a great and rewarding experience. I've just loaded the second Reala roll, and tomorrow I'll be out with the two 6x6 cameras, the YashicaMat and the Isolette.
How is your experience?.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
jesito wrote: It's not the same composition, but the differences between sky saturation and colours are evident. The film one has a more natural feeling.

I agree. Quite a difference, actually. Reala film is a fabulous "warm" film that puts some emphasis on magenta spectrum. All other colors are as natural as "real life" to me.

In fact, if I take an image of heather with Reala, the magenta coloration tends to oversature. But that's no problem really.

Larry

Thanks for the info, Larry. Do you think I would need a filter to correct that magenta deviation?. I got an adapter from BAY1 to 42mm to use those filters. Maybe an UV one could help with this?.
Thanks!,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Larry

Thanks for the info, Larry. Do you think I would need a filter to correct that magenta deviation?. I got an adapter from BAY1 to 42mm to use those filters. Maybe an UV one could help with this?.
Thanks!,

Jes.

Well, the magenta is not heavy, it is noticeable if you are looking for it. YES, a UV filter will help quite a bit!

Good luck with the "dynamic duo" of the Isolette and Yashica Mat! What a fun way to shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love film for many reasons, but colour balance is not one of them. I think that a properly white-balanced images coming from my digital EOSes is largely superior in colour fidelity compared to any film that I have used either now or in the past.

-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I love film for many reasons, but colour balance is not one of them. I think that a properly white-balanced images coming from my digital EOSes is largely superior in colour fidelity compared to any film that I have used either now or in the past.

-

Agreed! Smile

We are lucky that the white balance can be adjusted after scanning a film, but the white balancing function straight from the camera settings is most expedient.