Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My favourite 50mm lenses and f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: My favourite 50mm lenses and f2 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am doing the bokeh shots with lot of normal 50mm lenses I have. I think this issue is subjective. I choiced the f2 because I often do at this setup in low light, and sometimes it produces amazing images.

Enjoy my favorite corner, the place is the best to shot bokeh test! Smile
(Sorry I just have time to insert the larger size: 6-7 images x ~0.5MB)

MC electric 50/1.8 - Pancolar vs. Pentacon

Mamiya Sekor SX 55/1.4 vs Auto Revuenon 55/2

SMC Takumar 50/1.4 vs. Yashica ML 50/1.4

Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 vs. CZ Planar 50/1.4

Auto Yashica 55/1.2 vs. CZ Planar 50/1.7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the colours of the Pentacon! Shocked

As far as bokeh is concerned, I like the Yashinon 55/1.2 and the Mamiya best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Agree on the Yashinon! Clear winner for me.
But I also like the ML Yashica one.

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that Pentacon really jumps out!

Bokeh wise Yashica ML 50/1.4 rather than the 55mm for me.

I must do something similar with my growing collection of 50mm's...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:

We must consider however that it is significantly underexposed compared to the other pictures.
Underexposure always enhances the perception of colour saturation.
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iha, how the Helga could you mount the Rokkor lens on your Canon EOS?
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that with old Rokkors and some lens hacking, Orio. We had a thread about that recently, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

We must consider however that it is significantly underexposed compared to the other pictures.
Underexposure always enhances the perception of colour saturation.
-

Yeah, it is true. I tried to shot in the same situation but the Pentacon was taken in sheenier lighting.
I bought the Minolta Rokkor lens with the adapter. Here is some pictures about the replacement of the mount.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=3380
You can find the other method to do with M42-EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own few of these lenses (mamiya 55/1.4, takumar 50/1.4, planar 50/1.7, pentacon)... and after seeing these results, I am not able to find the reason for paying high price for Pancolar lens...
Nice results set...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu, this test like a book shelf test... Pancolar is a pancolar no way to live without that hahahaha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pancolar is a pancolar no way to live without that hahahaha

Oh my God! I will have to die soon! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Carsten must be worry Smile you never now the feeling till not have it Smile

CZJ Sonnar 135mm f3.5
Pentacon 135mm f2.8
Pancolar 50mm f1.8 MC

Must have lenses ever Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting series iha and thank you for taking the time and effort to share with us. I was very surprised at the difference between the two planars - neither was as good as I expected and the 1.7 looks much nicer than the 1.4

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Very interesting series iha and thank you for taking the time and effort to share with us. I was very surprised at the difference between the two planars - neither was as good as I expected and the 1.7 looks much nicer than the 1.4
patrickh

Planars are not the best lens design with regards to highlight bokeh, and neither are all the other very sharp lenses (Pancolars, Biotars and Helioses).
That's the price you pay to get that outstanding sharpness stopped down.

-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
patrickh

I read somewhere that there is very little different between the f1.4 and the f1.7. But my f1.4 copy takes more (!!!) contrast and sharper picture. The different is easy to notice. May I have a bad f1.4 copy? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Ballu, this test like a book shelf test... Pancolar is a pancolar no way to live without that hahahaha

I am finding reasons, for not spending more money Wink
Good lens is good one..
You are right about tests.... tests can be for a particular characteristics, but real IQ is in field.. overall and in consistent way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
I own few of these lenses (mamiya 55/1.4, takumar 50/1.4, planar 50/1.7, pentacon)... and after seeing these results, I am not able to find the reason for paying high price for Pancolar lens...
Nice results set...

Hmmm Smile I got Pancolar lens in the same price of the Pentacon, but the Pentacon can not show me the personality I see in the Pancolar's shots. Pancolar lens is better, just my two cents Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iha wrote:

I read somewhere that there is very little different between the f1.4 and the f1.7. But my f1.4 copy takes more (!!!) contrast and sharper picture. The different is easy to notice. May I have a bad f1.4 copy? Smile

I have two copies of the Planar 1.4 one AE one MM and there is no real difference, only slightly more vignetting wide open in the AE copy. Both are very sharp stopped down, but the Planar 1.7 is sometimes reported as sharper than the 1.4

I personally think that you can feel the difference between the two lenses when you shoot around f/2 to f/4, where the Planar 1.4 is excellent and gives plenty of 3D rendition and (in my opinion) superior colour density.
From f/5.6 onwards the lenses are both sharp.
It is possible that the 1.7 may be a little sharper wide open, but I think that it lacks a bit the unmistakeable personality of the 1.4

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Agree on the Yashinon! Clear winner for me.
But I also like the ML Yashica one.

-

The Minolta Rokkor's bokeh is my favourite. I think it has creamy effect. Yellowing could be repaired.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar and Planars look best to me... look at the colors!