Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Collection of Vintage Nikon Glass.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: My Collection of Vintage Nikon Glass. Reply with quote

If you want that "vintage" look, then...

Left - Nikkor P 300 F4.5, Nikkor Q C 200 F4
Case Rear - Nikkor N 24 F2.8, Nikkor P 105 F2.5, Nikkor HC 28 F3.5
Case Front- Nikkor S 35 F2.8, Nikkor Q 135 F3.5, Nikkor S 50 F1.4
Right - Nikkor UD 20 F3.5
All but two have the factory AI kits.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection. My assortment of Nikkor glass includes the pre-AI 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/3.5 Micro, and 105mm f/2.5. Only the 55mm Micro does not have the factory AI conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael,
The 105 was the hardest AI kit to find and I just located one on another lens. My lens is better condition so I will switch them.
I still need the UD and 300. I would mill them but they work on my Df without the conversion.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Thank you Michael,
The 105 was the hardest AI kit to find and I just located one on another lens. My lens is better condition so I will switch them.
I still need the UD and 300. I would mill them but they work on my Df without the conversion.
Pete

I've had my Nikkors for many years. Some had the AI rings when I bought them, some didn't. Back then, I was also a camera dealer and whenever I bought a pre-AI Nikkor for resale, I'd check to see if an AI kit was available for it. I used to drive over to Nikon's repair facility in Torrance, CA and buy the kits from them, then install them myself. Supply was getting spotty by the early 90s, though, which is why my 55 Micro was never converted. And then some repair guy in Nevada bought all of Nikon's remaining US inventory of the AI kits, effectively cornering the market. So that put an end to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have searched the internet for the kits for the 300 and UD but no luck. I was lucky to find a 105 with the kit at a good price. I will decide which lens is best and swap the rings if necessary. I may find a 300 with the kit but the UD is a bit expensive to be swapping. Anyway, my Df works with the Non AI lenses but having AI is so much easier. Now I need to add CPUs to them...
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it Yourself:

http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv.en.html
http://www.chr-breitkopf.de/photo/aiconv_ee_post.en.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood Thomas,
I did my 105 2.5 because I like to use it a lot and now I have located a factory kit. The other two work well on my Df as the index tab folds up. I am just being anal about having the factory kits on my little collection. Kinda like having the original caps.
Pete

PS: I have a brown lens case for the 300 and 200. Now I need one for the UD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here is a collection I really really like!

Among the best glass on the planet from that time period.

The "look and feel" when used on modern digital cameras retain the classic "Nikkor" rendering, look & feel, color balance, bokeh, & such...

Is there no 85 to add here? Sad

I'm actually considering trying to assemble such a collection to go with my Takumars. Despite being cured of LBA. I miss the Nikkors I sold sometimes. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Visual,
I thought about the 85 but chose the 105 2.5 instead. I have an 86 1.4 AF if I need that length.
Yes, the rendering is just awesome on my Df and having the high ISO is something that the original owners never could dream of. We have a couple of railroad museums and old machinery museums that I want to photograph with this collection.
Collecting is fun as many of these lenses are quite inexpensive at auction. Go for it!
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely collection,I like the silver Nikkor cap I have not seen one of those before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MO,
That silver cap is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the 300 4.5. The UD also has one but when I carry it, I replace it with a pinch cap as the silver ones screw on and off.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny what we do and spend to complete a collection...I love these little accessories....better than handbags and shoes Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Its funny what we do and spend to complete a collection...I love these little accessories....better than handbags and shoes Very Happy

Know what you mean Mo. I spent more on handbags than I did on this entire collection... Not for me of course. Now about the shoes.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, don't get me started on handbags. My wife has spent more on handbags than I've even thought about spending on lenses. Well, I've thought about it, but that's about as far as I can get.

Pete, I wouldn't worry about doing anything to that UD. It's such a great lens, who cares if it doesn't have a kit?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, Yes the UD is quite an awesome lens. I also have a Super Angulon 21 F4 converted to Nikon but I think I like the UD better.

Here is one from the Nikkor S 50 1.4 shot at F2

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this shot here before, but since this is a "classic Nikkor" thread, I thought I'd post it again. This shot was taken with a Nikon FM and a "lowly" 135mm f/3.5 AI Nikkor. Probably my favorite pic of my wife, Bai Shin. This is a Kodachrome I "duped." That old 135/3.5 is so sharp, you can count the pores on her face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I have the same problem with the 105 2.5 even wide open.

I love the old Kodachrome too and often get that look from AlienSkin Exposure.
Pete