Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mr. Squirrel via Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Mr. Squirrel via Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 Reply with quote

It was dry and sort of nice out for a few *minutes* today (damn Oregon winter/spring... Very Happy), so I went out in the backyard after work and messed with my only super telephoto, the Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 in FD mount.

I just love this thing. It's super sharp wide open and not too difficult to focus. All shots open f/4:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, Devin! I agree completely about the Tokina 100-300/4. It is a superb optic -- as your pics show. I own a copy in Nikon mount and it's one of the two sharpest tele zooms I own (the other is the Tamron 200-500/5.6).

No squirrel pics, but how about a nice yellow rose? (Sony NEX 7, lens set to f/8 )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 nice one Michael.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great captures of that squirrel! Well done! Surprised

I see some PF in places but other than that it seem like a truly excellent lens!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. I own the AF Version of this lens. Does anybody know if there is any difference to the MF version besides SD elements?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

And yes, Miran, it does have decent amount of purple fringing, so you must be careful about the angle and the sun, etc.. It seems almost all the telephotos from the 70s and 80s have some amount of PF though, from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: A Bunch of Sample Images Reply with quote

Thanks for posting some pix for my favorite long MF zoom lens, the Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 (mine is a K-mount version).

For anyone who's interested, I have a bunch of images (including a bunch of corresponding 100% crops) at http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/x1003004/x1003004.htm.

Gotta love this lens... Smile

Last edited by fwcetus on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent shots of those pesky varmints. I have the same species living in my yard. (I kind of think they are cute but my wife doesn't like them digging up th flower bulbs and raiding the bird feeder).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Excelent shots of those pesky varmints. I have the same species living in my yard. (I kind of think they are cute but my wife doesn't like them digging up th flower bulbs and raiding the bird feeder).

Yeah, they love to dig!...but they're just so DAMN CUTE Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: A Bunch of Sample Images Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
Thanks for posting some pix for my favorite long MF zoom lens, the Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 (mine is a K-mount version).

For anyone who's interested, I have a bunch of images (including a bunch of corresponding 100% crops) at http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/x1003004/x1003004.htm.

Gotta love this lens... Smile

Excellent link, thanks! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one a while back from a local camera shop for about $110. Returned it though as it had a LOT of zoom creep; very loose. You couldn't have much of an angle at all without the lens sliding one way or another. But more importantly, my copy didn't impress in the sharpness category compared to the much older Rokkor 300m f4.5 metal barreled-version I have.

Since then, I recently found a great deal on a Nikkor EDIF 300mm f4.5 and it is pretty amazing.

Julian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the felts (or whatever they use inside that slider zoom) are worn out on that one.

Mine is quite tight to slide the zoom.. Doesn't move even if 100% vertical. It's also in really good condition though..probably wasn't used very much in it's life. It looks brand new.