Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mounting linear PCM recorder as mic on camera?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Mounting linear PCM recorder as mic on camera? Reply with quote

Hi!
I've got an Tascam Dr-07 MkII
I has awesome sound quality (at least compared to what I'm used to), especially for music, much better than what build-in mics of DSLRs and mirrorless cams I know can do.
Luckily it has an 3,5mm line out and can be connected directly to my Sony A7 (3,5mm line in) and used as a mic, it produces awesome sound quality on videos.

Though I havent found a way to fix it on the camera, which isn't overly expensive.

The PCM recorder has a 1/4" tripod screwmount on the middle of it's backside, just like the Sony A7 on it's downside.

An idea would be to use a male-male 1/4" screw directly to mount them on each other. But if I would connect both with an male-male 1/4" screw, I would have the problem that left- and right are mixed when using stereo sound, as the PCM recorder would be flipped.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reverse stereo with sound file editor like Audacity, with plugin (see here ). Does A7 can create separate file with sound? Or only video with sound? Then you should extract it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this widget fits on hot shoe of the camera and screws into the bottom of the mic/recorder. a pound including postage to UK

Click here to see on Ebay

I use my Zoom H2 in the same way on my Nikon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to link it to your camera, you can record without linking while syncing the audio output during postprocessing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
Why would you want to link it to your camera, you can record without linking while syncing the audio output during postprocessing?

First because PP like syncing by hand every 30s long clip does take much time, and I would still have to keep that recorder in the other hand, so very unhandy, especially with MF lenses. When linked to the camera it's synced automatically.
Better question would be why I should not link them? Wink

BurstMox wrote:
You can reverse stereo with sound file editor like Audacity, with plugin (see here ). Does A7 can create separate file with sound? Or only video with sound? Then you should extract it.

Thx!
It does create single files unfortunately with and weird codec and file format (*.MTS files with AVCHD codec).
Do you know if there's a way to do this lossless without recoding (batch would be best)?
If yes that would be a good solution.

philslizzy wrote:
this widget fits on hot shoe of the camera and screws into the bottom of the mic/recorder. a pound including postage to UK

Click here to see on Ebay

I use my Zoom H2 in the same way on my Nikon.

Thx, only problem would be that it would block the EVF, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, mine is used on top of My Nikon D3200. If course you could buy a flash bracket and hold it off camera...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Because if you don't have a video-rig you generally don't want added bulk, it tends to get in the way. When not linked you can put it somewhere static, having less situational influence on sound quality meaning a more even recording.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting a bracket or two from home depot and mounting it to one side - or get some type of setup utilizing old 80's flash brackets. You dont really need the sound recorder to be directly inline with the camera - either side is fine. Mounting up top will probably be too shaky and youll get a good amount of noise

If you want ease of use have it go straight into the camera, but your going to sacrifice fidelity going through an unbalanced 3.5mm connection

I would suggest recording directly to the card in your Tascam and then sync everything in post with a plugin called Plural Eyes - as long as you are also recording sound on your camera it will have no problem auto syncing everything - saves a TON of time.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Because if you don't have a video-rig you generally don't want added bulk, it tends to get in the way. When not linked you can put it somewhere static, having less situational influence on sound quality meaning a more even recording.

haven't used a micro nor recorder mounted on my still cam, but when I was using a video cam with an external mic I had learned very soon how very important it was to 'sound isolate' the mic as well as possible from the cam. If not handling the cam inevitably would result in unwanted recorded noises. I had bought and used a 'shock mount': http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68138-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8410A_AT8410A_Shock_Mount.html

"Sound isolation" certainly is a big reason why not to link cam and sound recording device, and one of the big advantages of using an external mic or recorder in the first place. If moving with the cam while filming of course having it mounted can be very convenient. Maybe other shockmounts offerd, though actually for mics, can give you a hint or idea? Actually I would think that some are big enough to hold the Tascam:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Shock-Mounts-Shoe-Clips/ci/8650/N/4223841581

Before I had bought that the nice shock mount linked above I had 'selfmade' a shockmount for another, cheaper mic that worked rather well, but both later got sold together. It simply was a PVC pipe mounted on a flashshoe that had rubber bands inserted as seen in shock mounts, one could do the same for holding the recorder, just would need to choose a pipe that has big enough diameter