Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Most recent photographic Petzval lens? (non-lomography)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Most recent photographic Petzval lens? (non-lomography) Reply with quote

I know Petzvals for projection - particularly fast projection lenses- are as well documented / popular as Double-Gauss or triplet designs, which leaves me wondering what the history is for them on consumer photographic equipment like SLRs.

I can't seem to find any lenses derived from them, even though in the projection world many field flatteners and extra doublet-splitting had occured to bring speeds faster than f1.2 across a wider field. Many designs like Sonnars and Ernostars atleast had some commercial consumer examples produced well into the 1950s.
Literally, in the "Objective lenses f/1 and greater" post I made, the first designs discussed and noted for their popularity are Petzvals.

Is it a coincidence that alot of these projection designs are for 16mm film and similar small sizes? Why would going from, say, APS-C / super35 to full frame be too much of a challenge for this lens design?

To be honest, I probably know the answer- symmetrical / asymmetrical Double Gauss designs probably just offered better correction overall for similar effort for a manufacturer.

But still, they were popular for projection well into the 1970s and beyond. So I am curious- what's the most recent photographic Petzval lens you can think of?

Might I add, I know telescope petzvals are a thing, and I know roughly it's a popular design for similarly slow telephoto lenses. I'm abit more curious if there was any that were similarly fast speed/wider focal lengths as the projection ones that are popular.

EDIT: there is a good list here http://forum.mflenses.com/roger-cicala-tests-lomographys-petzval-lens-t67138.html#1397448 but a great deal of them are projection, only a handful not, and those which aren't are long focal lengths.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

photo ebay seller usgarik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

photo ebay seller usgarik

I specified non-lomography!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
visualopsins wrote: