Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mo's Mystery LISTAR - Who made this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Mo's Mystery LISTAR - Who made this lens? Reply with quote

As mentioned by Mo elsewhere, I have received from her this most interesting 2.8/135 pre-set lens.
Its design is different to say the least, and begs the question - who made it?
Here is the lens:

Interestingly, the distance scale is marked only in feet, with a separate IR scale - also in feet - above it.
It is marked as 135mm f2.8 but it looks too long and too narrow to be a 2.8 lens.
Here it is compared to Vivitar (Tokina) 2.8/135

Made in Japan. M42 mount (T mount?) Komura? Kowa? Interesting to be able to shed some light on its parentage.
Any ideas?
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

The preset ring markings are also odd. As in, among other things, why does one aperture scale read to 32 and the other to 22 ? And the placement is odd.

The design is not so strange, the front element is the proper size. The rear elements in all of these are much smaller, and old auto lenses look fat only because of the oversize mechanisms towards the rear.

I may have seen others like this. I will check.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Interesting.

The preset ring markings are also odd. As in, among other things, why does one aperture scale read to 32 and the other to 22 ? And the placement is odd.

The design is not so strange, the front element is the proper size. The rear elements in all of these are much smaller, and old auto lenses look fat only because of the oversize mechanisms towards the rear.

I may have seen others like this. I will check.

Both sets of aperture markings are on the first pre-set ring. I suspect that the red numerals are for IR (?).
The second pre-set ring is marked on this image
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it now, it certainly looks like a frankenstein lens...made up from different parts...could a back yard technician pull that off?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that there may be a teleconverter on the bottom of this.
Besides the T-mount, does the bottom section - the lower knurled part - unscrew from the rest ?

It may be something like the Duo-Tamron 135/225mm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I suspect that there may be a teleconverter on the bottom of this.
Besides the T-mount, does the bottom section - the lower knurled part - unscrew from the rest ?

It may be something like the Duo-Tamron 135/225mm

By golly, by gum, by jingo I do believe that you are correct.
Here are some images taken first by this lens, then secondly by a Vivitar 2.8/135 from the same tripod position of the same subject.
Now - how to figure out the attachment.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Does the rear half screw off? I thought the silver mount may but not the rear end...post up some photos if you manage it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The silver T (?) mount is held on by three little grub screws.
The converter also has three retaining grub screws which, when loosened, allows the converter to screw off.
Unfortunately, that does not leave a mounting surface for the T mount.
Very interesting.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T mount is attached at the rear of converter and you need to apply force to turn the (inner)ring of the T mount off. If you cannot turn it off, put the screws back and try again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a shim on the larger half of the lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The T mount is attached at the rear of converter and you need to apply force to turn the (inner)ring of the T mount off. If you cannot turn it off, put the screws back and try again.

Thanks for the suggestion Calvin.
Unfortunately, the converter is one solid piece of machined metal, and there don't appear to be any parts to screw off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are threads in the rear. Use something increase the fraction if it is hard to turn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There are threads in the rear. Use something increase the fraction if it is hard to turn.

Thanks Calvin, yes I have seen those and decided to see if they were a match for the exposed thread on the base of the front section - ie the 135mm lens itself.
Sadly they do not match - and the threads don't even touch let alone mate - in any case they are of a different pitch.
I looked more closely at the threads that you have highlighted, and they appear to be the internals of the converter where the innards have been screwed into the middle of it via these threads.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure your can screw off the rear part from the tele converter as they are made of different metals though the threads may not fit the front lens. If you have other T mount, you could try to attach it to the front section.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one of my mounts do that,where you unscrew the 3 grub screws and it leaves you with that slighly angled piece still attached too the lens,in this case the possible converter. I can't remember what lens it was that gave me the trouble or I would go and have a look.

It may also be one of those odd 44mm (I think it was that mm ) threaded lenses like the Tele tokina, which uses a similar silver mount that you are having trouble with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have had one of my mounts do that,where you unscrew the 3 grub screws and it leaves you with that slighly angled piece still attached too the lens,in this case the possible converter. I can't remember what lens it was that gave me the trouble or I would go and have a look.

It may also be one of those odd 44mm (I think it was that mm ) threaded lenses like the Tele tokina, which uses a similar silver mount that you are having trouble with.

Mo that sounds like something akin to a "standard" YS mount situation. Should that be the case, manufacture by Sigma or Sun is suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom ,did you manage to get the "ring" off the convertor?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Tom ,did you manage to get the "ring" off the convertor?

I was just about to type "no" when a thought occurred to me.
So had another go ............. and voila - it started to move.
What was firmly stuck fast before - now (with copious rubber bands for grip) screwed apart.
Here it is:

Only one little problem - the thread is sort of M42 but not quite.
It screws on for about one turn and the stops tight.
I cannot screw an M42 rear lens cap on it either.
see here:

So what thread is it - M42.5? Very Happy

Undaunted, I took this non registering lens out for a trial.
Min focus distance is about 5 metres now and I wasn't game to try it any further away.
However, it is no slug.
Here are some images wide open - focus was difficult so forgive that.

Now, if I can figure out how to get an adapter onto it fully, it may just prove to be a very useful lens.
In the meantime ...... Who made it I wonder?

OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the T mount on that part? They are both 42mm, but the thread pitch is different so one doesn't fit the other.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do what elliot suggested and try the silver T mount...and hopefully it will fit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what you have there is a standard t mount lens.
The lens side thread is m42x.75 pitch vs m42x1mm pitch for the camera thread.
If you can't unscrew the mount from the teleconverter any m42 t-mount will do. They are cheap and readily available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, what you have there is a standard t mount lens.
The lens side thread is m42x.75 pitch vs m42x1mm pitch for the camera thread.
If you can't unscrew the mount from the teleconverter any m42 t-mount will do. They are cheap and readily available.

Thanks luisalegria.
The silver mount that is on the converter will not work on the lens.
I will search for a suitable adapter.
Would one of these be appropriate:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T2-Mount-Adaptor-For-Canon-Nikon-Olympus-Pentax-Sony-Minolta-EF-AF-43-PK-M42-M43-/121212879818?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&var=&hash=item1c38d9c3ca

OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still wondering if that Silver T mount is like the odd threaded Tokina mount?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly that.
You could get the m42 one, or whatever your actual camera mount is.
I also think that the silver ring on the tc screws off, though it may be on very tightly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, exactly that.
You could get the m42 one, or whatever your actual camera mount is.
I also think that the silver ring on the tc screws off, though it may be on very tightly.

No, it is only held on by the three grub screws.
It isn't threaded and sits on the flat flange as shown in this pic.
I have ordered a threaded T mount in PK finish.
OH