Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More Jupiter 9! Highlights and Anastasia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: More Jupiter 9! Highlights and Anastasia Reply with quote

Let me begin by saying the rendering of highlights was completely intentional. I know how the Jupiter does this especially wide open, I like it, so I picked an area which would guarantee some. I know most will not like the image because of them. Comments and criticisms are very much appreciated! Thanks

Same specs as my previous post with the cat:
Lens: Jupiter 9 at f2
Camera: st701
Film: Kodak 160vc
Scanner: Canoscan 700f
Retouched for dust and slight exposure adjustment (+0.10). No other corrections.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, good capture, and backlit subjects can be a pain to expose enough
detail. More importantly, does Anastasia like it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
More importantly, does Anastasia like it?

She has the typical girl trait of hating every picture she is in. Funny thing though, despite that fact she throws out some good poses and doesn't mind my incessant picture-taking.

Here's another:

Again wide open. Only retouched for dust spots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice shot, Marc. With this particular subject you can't go wrong, unless you miss focus entirely! The last shot is for the wall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason why you couldn't use a small amount of frontal flash? You can always experiment by placing white hankerchiefs over the flash gun if using a lens wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any reason why you couldn't use a small amount of frontal flash?

No reason, just didn't. The fujica camera that I use does not have a hot or cold shoe so I'd need to get on my separate bracket. I wasn't keen on over complicating a simple lens test.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love the specular highlights in these images. And that's
just it - the opinion of "bokeh" varies with personal opinions. Very Happy

That said, I love the second image with the very fine pose and
good colors. You've really made Anastasia stand out from the background,
and have brought out her singular beauty. What a
great model! And you do very well with the Fujica.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***No reason, just didn't. The fujica camera that I use does not have a hot or cold shoe so I'd need to get on my separate bracket. I wasn't keen on over complicating a simple lens test.***

Well you welcome criticism:- in the 2nd photo your model has a green cast on her skin, on my monitor............even photoshop will automatically correct it, and not using flash can sometimes give you problems in shade.
Ignore above and appologies if my monitor needs calibrating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully welcome criticism, so thanks. I guess on my monitor it doesn't so much appear as a cast, but rather just a cool image overall. I wouldn't let photoshop auto correct it (the program just turns everything purple) but a slight adjustment to the green slider is probably in order. I should definitely try to experiment with fill flashes. Despite having a decent flash, I've never used it. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second photograph is a really WOW capture!

I have problems with the first one. Seems the bokeh rendering of the lens is doing a better job than the subjects' face was light at the moment of capturing (sorry for my bad English)

Cheers
Tobbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems the bokeh rendering of the lens is doing a better job than the subjects' face was light at the moment of capturing (sorry for my bad English)

It was a hard capture overall to make. She was spinning (you can tell because of her hair) so I'm more surprised the photo came out at all. But yes, I would have to agree with you in this case.