Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More Infinity Issues: CY-EOS Adapters (Kindai vs. Generic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: More Infinity Issues: CY-EOS Adapters (Kindai vs. Generic) Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm wondering if I can get the benefit of the community's experience with CY-EOS adapters: specifically, the differences in performance, if any, between so-called "commodity grade" adapters and the Kindai/Rayqual/Cameraquest version.

What prompts the question is the recent acquisition of a used - very well used! - Distagon 25/2.8. Because the lens had obviously had a difficult life, I decided to test it out, upon delivery, with more than my usual care. I tried it on my 5DII, using two different adapters: a Fotodiox (non-pro) and a no-name chrome model. To my dismay, I discovered that "infinity," per the lens's index, was really only 7 meters or so (wide-open) - significantly longer, of course, stopped down, but still nowhere near true infinity.

I decided to test my other CY lenses the same way, and was surprised - I suppose this says quite a bit about how little infinity shooting I do - to discover that none of them was focusing to infinity. The problem was most evident, of course, with the wide-angles, but it was noticeable with the 50mm and 100mm lenses as well.

I tried the same lenses on a CY film body, and - while my eyes aren't what they used to be - it appeared to me that they were focusing to infinity without issue. But I can't be 100% sure of that.

In any case, since it seems unlikely to me that each and every one of my CY lenses is out of adjustment, I'm thinking that the adapter is the likely suspect. I have no problem making the non-trivial investment in the Kindai unit...if that will, in fact, cure the problem. So I'd be eager to hear from anyone who's been in the same situation, and who has turned to the Kindai as a solution. Acknowledging that there are lots of variables here, and that no two users' experiences will be identical: has anyone had the Kindai deliver infinity focus in a case where a generic adapter had failed?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big-is adapter seems ok
you can easily adjust infinity of contax lenses
http://forum.mflenses.com/infinity-tune-for-contax-lens-t7011.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C/Y-EOS adapter I ordered are very good one with reasonable price. Please wait for a moment if you want to buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Distagon 2.8/25 MMJ and Planar 1.4/50 MMJ and rather than mess around with different adapters, I eventually adjusted the lenses to achieve infinity using live-view on my 5D2. One of the adapters in question was the basic Fotodiox one whilst the other was a no-name Chinese one and neither of these allowed infinity on either lens.

Since I have no Contax bodies and am unlikely to acquire any plus planned to keep both the 25 and 50, I elected to adjust the lenses to suit the adapters which I then left permanently on each lens.

It's an easy process and can be reversed with the proviso that you'll need a Contax camera to reset it. Both lenses are tweaked in exactly the same way as well.

Goes like this:

1. Unscrew the front of the lens which is integrated with the trim ring - what looks like the trim ring is actually part of the front. This may be tight by the way.

2. With the adapter fitted, focus the lens at infinity.

3. Once the lens front is removed, you'll see a silver coloured ring secured with three screws - slacken but don't remove these.

4. Use a small hook or something and loosen the silver ring.

5. Turn the focus ring back a little bit from infinity and re-tighten the three screws.

6. The lens should now be able to focus beyond infinity.

7. Mount it on the camera and if you have live-view, turn it on.

8. Mount the camera on a tripod and then focus on something at least half a mile or so away.

9. Increase the magnification on the live-view to the maximum it allows.

10. Sweep the lens focus back and forth until it 'snaps' into focus in live-view then leave it there.

11. Making sure the lens focus does not change, slacken the three screws again, prise up the silver ring and rotate the focus ring back to infinity.

12. Tighten the screws and recheck the focus - if all OK, refit the front part of the lens and enjoy it. If not, repeat from step 2.

Use poilu's pix as a guide for what you're looking at.

This info is offered in good faith so don't do any of this if you're not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Tremendously informative replies!

I've saved the adjustment instructions (and photos) for future reference...if I ever develop that much courage. At this point, if I were inclined to take that sort of approach, I'd probably opt for a Leitax remount; I know I have enough dexterity (just barely) for that operation.

Calvin, PM en route, with thanks. I appreciate the chance to source the adapter from an MFL colleague.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a contax or yashica body and adjust infinity.

get newest optixpcb.com adapter.
i have a dandelion peleng8.com-adapter(be aware one must bend lens-lock inwards a bit) not yet tested for infinity.beside c/y i have eos 5 only, no dslr.