Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moon by Carl Zeiss Jena 500mm f/4 mirror lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Moon by Carl Zeiss Jena 500mm f/4 mirror lens. Reply with quote

Yes, 500mm f/4!

Captured by István Csabai not me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous capture!
Lens attached to telescope, or lens alone?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens alone, but I am not sure I asked the owner. Hopefully he will reply soon. He has an 5,6/1000mm CZJ mirror lens too ! I asked him for sample photos hopefully he will provide this lenses are very rare and expensive too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been a VERY clear night.
When I try this kind of shots from here, it's always a bit hazy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 350D,ISO 200, Carl Zeiss Jena 500mm f/4 mirror lens purely.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you ask him what shutter speed and aperture he used, please?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great capture from a great lens. there's a 800mm vivitar solid cat on ebay here. how is it's IQ compared to this??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robar wrote:
great capture from a great lens. there's a 800mm vivitar solid cat on ebay here. how is it's IQ compared to this??

I don't know but I am sure that it will be REALLY hard to beat this IQ.

Man it looks entirely taken with a telescope.
It's mind-blowing!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen mirror lens with 500mm focal length with f4 max. aperture ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Have you ever seen mirror lens with 500mm focal length with f4 max. aperture ?

My one is Russian made in Lytkarino and it is f/6.3
so not much darker than the Zeiss
But I doubt it can achieve the same quality.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose your Russian is not worst as we see with many Russian lenses. But one and half f stop less in long focal length that is the big thing in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I suppose your Russian is not worst as we see with many Russian lenses. But one and half f stop less in long focal length that is the big thing in my opinion.

I dont' think that a speed difference of this kind is so much important on a 500mm mirror lens, because you will always use it on a tripod and never hand-held (it's simply impossible)
So I think that the IQ is more important.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right. I think this is interesting as CZJ could make it others not, same thing like f/1.2 lenses contra f/1.4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

I dont' think that a speed difference of this kind is so much important on a 500mm mirror lens, because you will always use it on a tripod and never hand-held (it's simply impossible)

i'm not so sure about not handholding a 500mm. i've seen some stellar shots from a guy using a bigma at 500mm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila wrote:

i'm not so sure about not handholding a 500mm. i've seen some stellar shots from a guy using a bigma at 500mm.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robar wrote:

Mine is so big that I would not be able to handle it and focus it at the same time. But my hands are not super big. Maybe there are also smaller lenses than mine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture is amazing. I tried taking my first moon shot last year, before I started collecting MF lenses and before I understood my camera properly. I used a EF 100-300 USM lens and the results were very disappointing indeed. I haven't tried it since, but this picture makes me want to have another go.

Even at 300mm the moon's image was just a small spot in the centre of the frame, and of course it was way over-exposed because the stupid meter thought I was taking a shot of the black sky Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
This picture is amazing. I tried taking my first moon shot last year, before I started collecting MF lenses and before I understood my camera properly. I used a EF 100-300 USM lens and the results were very disappointing indeed. I haven't tried it since, but this picture makes me want to have another go.

Even at 300mm the moon's image was just a small spot in the centre of the frame, and of course it was way over-exposed because the stupid meter thought I was taking a shot of the black sky Wink

With such small subject, and such powerful lenses, the main problem is the movement, the tripod alone is not enough, I find that also blocking the mirror is important. As you say, the moon is small in the frame, and even the slightest movement in the camera will result in a blurry image.