Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Model Photography - Samyang 85mm sharpness & bokeh at f1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Model Photography - Samyang 85mm sharpness & bokeh at f1 Reply with quote

Here is a good example of how sharp the Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens is at the widest aperture and the bokeh it can produce.

Model photography - Model Anastasia, Russia - casual shot walking back to hotel in Tver.

B&W JPEG shot with Nikon D800

Samyang Bokeh by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that a lot, been tempted to get one on several occasions, so far i've resisted but photos like this won't help at all Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re. Buying a Samyang 85mm f1.4 Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
I like that a lot, been tempted to get one on several occasions, so far i've resisted but photos like this won't help at all Very Happy

I highly recommend not to look at my Flickr stream or blog posts then unless you have the money in your pocket ready to make a purchase!

And probably try to avoid looking at my other threads on MFL! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic. I have to say that there are a lot better ones taken with other lenses.

I have the money to buy a marvelous plastic toy like that lens, but prefer a real lens.

The toys for the childrens. Not for me, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why but I feel I must defend this "plastic" lens even though I don't own it Very Happy, yes it would be nice if we all could afford the "special" lenses but we can't. For me if it was say buy the Samyang now or wait 3-6 months until I could afford some overpriced name lens I think I would buy the Samyang and wait until I could either afford it or decide that I was happy with what I had. I see no reason why this should be avoided because it's "plastic". It's a very capable lens for the right person and of course it's lighter which at my age makes it a plus lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: I think you must be mistaken.. Samyang Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Nice pic. I have to say that there are a lot better ones taken with other lenses.

I have the money to buy a marvelous plastic toy like that lens, but prefer a real lens.

I realise every is free to voice their own opinions but it sounds like you have not seen or held a Samyang lens? Light? No. Plastic feel? No chance? Were you holding a Nikon or Canon kit lens perhaps? Then yes plastic crappy feeling.

Samyang lens are built like a tank, heavy, solid, chunk of glass. They are much more like my Zeiss lenses or Nikon AI-s (when Nikon used to use metal and glass) than kit lenses I see others using.

I have many many nice lenses everything from Nikkor 200/f2, 50/1.2, Zeiss, Mamiya Sekor but the Samyang is still my most used lens on the D800. Not because it's cheap as I have the more expensive Nikkor 85/1.4D, but because it out performs it.

So you may want to try another Samyang and then you'll see that IS a real lens amongst the modern plastics.

Last edited by MatthewOsbornePhotography on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: "Plastic" Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
I don't know why but I feel I must defend this "plastic" lens even though I don't own it Very Happy, yes it would be nice if we all could afford the "special" lenses but we can't. For me if it was say buy the Samyang now or wait 3-6 months until I could afford some overpriced name lens I think I would buy the Samyang and wait until I could either afford it or decide that I was happy with what I had. I see no reason why this should be avoided because it's "plastic". It's a very capable lens for the right person and of course it's lighter which at my age makes it a plus lol

I'm baffled where the term plastic can be related to the Samyang 85? Yes the original hood is cheap plastic (agreed) but I fitted a metal one from new and the lenses itself is hardly plastic. If you can shoot without AF it can be very rewarding. I love mine Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I think you must be mistaken.. Samyang Reply with quote

MatthewOsbornePhotography wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I realise every is free to voice their own opinions but it sounds like you have not seen or held a Samyang lens? Light? No. Plastic feel? No chance? Were you holding a Nikon or Canon kit lens perhaps? Then yes plastic crappy feeling.

Samyang lens are built like a tank, heavy, solid, chunk of glass. There are much more like my Zeiss lenses or Nikon AI-s (when Nikon used to use metal and glass) than kit lenses I see others using.

I have many many nice lenses everything from Nikkor 200/f2, 50/1.2, Zeiss, Mamiya Sekor but the Samyang is still my most used lens on the D800. Not because it's cheap as I have the more expensive Nikkor 85/1.4D, but because it out performs it.

So you may want to try another Samyang and then you'll see that IS the real lens amongst the modern plastics.

I undestand you. And if you are happy with the lens, excelent for you!!

My 1,2/58 rokkor and 3,4/180 Apo Telyt are metal lenses, and i like in this way.

No plastic lens to me, please.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief, there speaks a closed mind...

Next thing you hear is that the world is flat and Darwin was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendo1 wrote:

Smile No I like lots of lenses depending on the need / camera format but I do seem to use the Samyang a lot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendo1 wrote:

You are an old man, sure.

If it's true, not matter how many plastic things you use, you are old.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
kendo1 wrote:

You are an old man, sure.

If it's true, not matter how many plastic things you use, you are old.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Are you on medication?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me, man.

You need it.

Go to the psiquiatric, please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The result is all that matters. If I produced a photo like that with a lens made from milk bottle tops and jam jar bottoms I wouldn't care what anyone thought, I would just let the photo do the talking.

Nice shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, lets focus on the lenses Wink

There will always be different opinions about lenses, which is good.
This makes this forum interesting Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt and his models makes any lens to superb Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right !
The picture is the thing, and everything else about this shot is more important than the lens.
The lens just needs to be good enough not to spoil all else.
And its certainly more than good enough.

BTW, what a career to have. Congratulations, this is in so many ways a fantasy for the rest of us duffers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Absolutely right !
The picture is the thing, and everything else about this shot is more important than the lens.
The lens just needs to be good enough not to spoil all else.
And its certainly more than good enough.

BTW, what a career to have. Congratulations, this is in so many ways a fantasy for the rest of us duffers.

+10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenizer-2 by srdnc, on Flickr

last-2 by srdnc, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the lens more deeply.

Very good one.

If i should use a portrait lens at 1,4, i get it without any doubt.

Actually use a f2/100 lens, a very good one too.

But the 1,4/85 is really good.

Modified my opinion about it.

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is especially impressive, great work , thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:

I guess it depends on the user's purpose. I avoid plastic lenses because I hike and cycle and the lenses are often subject to pressure from other objects in my bag which can easily damage plastic casing (I've wrecked many plastic lenses simply sitting in my bag over hundreds of km of cycling -- I once had an AF 17-55/2.8 split apart into 3 pieces) but never ever had a problem with metal lenses.

DR.JUAN's way of putting it was a bit harsh; I wouldn't dismiss them as "toys" vs. "real lens" but it's a matter of your purpose and application. If you're a full-time city and indoor event shooter, you obviously won't have problems with harsh conditions. Also I can attest that Samyang's build quality is decent -- Samyang's plastic is far better than any Canon or Nikon plastic.

atarget wrote:
Samyang 85mm f/1.4 is all metal and glass and I think it weighs like 4 pounds, dude....

Did they come out with new metal version? I used to own Samyang 85/1.4 and it was all plastic and glass. It was better plastic than Canon plastic, and focus ring was nicely damped, but I still ended up selling it and getting a Zeiss because I really wanted metal and also wanted the colour rendition to match my other Zeiss stuff for consistency.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic lenses, what a lot of snobbery about them. Even plastic lens fans sneer at the Nikon or Canon kit lenses.

I have a couple of Nikon and a Sigma 'plastic' AF lenses and I've never been disappointed with the results. I would say my kit 18-55 on the Nikon is the best '50' I have. Yes its slow, but you work with it. I don't abuse it and get super results.

I was unaware that the lens that Matt used was plastic, I only look at the results. And I like them.

Yes theres nothing more satisfying than handling a 50 year old metal and glass lens in good condition and using it to create great pictures. My 60's and 70's Rokkors and Nikkors have a lovely, well built quality feel to them.

Its like live music. Some like electric instruments, some like accoustic and ne'er the twain shall meet. The music is what matters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
I used to own Samyang 85/1.4 and it was all plastic and glass.

Samyang SLR lenses use metal, plastic, and glass. Rings tend to be plastic but the actual lens barrel is metal. The mount is always metal. They don't feel plasticky, that's for sure.

My MFT fisheye lens seems to be all plastic (except mount), but it is so tiny and compact that it still feels great. And optically, it is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
The music is what matters.

+1
Something we should never forget
OH