Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Model Photography - Samyang 85mm sharpness & bokeh at f1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Metal lenses vs. Plastic lenses.. which is better? Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Plastic lenses, what a lot of snobbery about them. Even plastic lens fans sneer at the Nikon or Canon kit lenses.

I have a couple of Nikon and a Sigma 'plastic' AF lenses and I've never been disappointed with the results. I would say my kit 18-55 on the Nikon is the best '50' I have. Yes its slow, but you work with it. I don't abuse it and get super results.

I was unaware that the lens that Matt used was plastic, I only look at the results. And I like them.

Yes theres nothing more satisfying than handling a 50 year old metal and glass lens in good condition and using it to create great pictures. My 60's and 70's Rokkors and Nikkors have a lovely, well built quality feel to them.

Its like live music. Some like electric instruments, some like accoustic and ne'er the twain shall meet. The music is what matters.

Glad to see this thread is stil going strong! Smile

Yes much prefer metal and glass lenses. The Samyang 85/1.4 as correctly decribed above is far from light and plasticy. Light at plasticy would be something like the Nikkor 75-300/ 4.5-5.6 for example (to me). But.. the Samyang 85mm is supplied with a crappy ill fitting plastic lens hood so some readers may be thinking of that. I bought a black metal hood the day I ordered my Sammy so the original plastic hood is still unopened in the box.

I use film cameras from the 1930s onwards so have a good appreciation of 'well made' solid feeling metal and glass lenses. The best modern example of this that I use is the Leica Summilux ASPH 50mm f1.4. Very very solid and heavy.

However, plastic can be OK too. I not a huge fan of auto lens as I prefer manual focus but there is no doubt that the plastic Nikkor 35mm f1.4 G is crazy sharp and the rest of the Nikkor G series are said to be just as good.

Now I use mostly Zeiss, Voigtlander and Leica lenses (Plus old AI Nikkor), I think future lenses for my D800 are going to be more like Samyang, Zeiss and old Nikkor lenses. I just like the solid feel and idea that they should still be going strong in another 50 years.

Here is an example to end on using my 1960s chrome Leica Elmar 135mm f4 at f4 on my Leica M9

Leica Elmar 135mm f4 Portrait by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

Considering the age of the lens the optics look like they were made in 2013! Amazing really.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man - those eyes!
Where did you find her?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
The music is what matters.

+1
Something we should never forget
OH

For other people -like me-, the art is the medium too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Oh man - those eyes!
Where did you find her?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

Russian Wink