Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mitsubishi f2.65 6.9mm projector lens on Olympus OM-D E-M5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Mitsubishi f2.65 6.9mm projector lens on Olympus OM-D E-M5 Reply with quote

This one works rather well, covers the M4/3 sensor with no vignette or falloff of illumaination, it's much better corrected for CA and SA than most projector lenses of this type and it has no visible distortion. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun playing with this one.

#1 The 6.9mm is on the right, on the left is my 9.7mm from an NEC projector:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the original purpose of these lenses exactly?
Nice pics BTW. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are from data projectors:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be surprised how well some of these projector lenses work on digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Ian, and I think they are probably even more remarkable due to not having an aperture? And...if they are uncorrected for perspective, they are excellent lenses.

I've just had a quick look on ebay and comlpete projectors are up as BIN for as little as £15, I'm sure a good trawl will find them even cheaper. What's not to like? You're using a Teleplus x2 Macro TC as a mount and getting great images for next to nothing.

I'd like to see them on full frame, that would be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't paid more than 15 for any of the projectors, the Mitsubishi I ripped this one out of was 8.15 with 5.99 postage. I've been compiling a spreadsheet with all the specs of the verious projectors I've seen, which is about 70 now, so I can tell you which projectors to seek out to obtain what lens.

I don't hink any of the ultrawides I have tried will cover full frame, although the 8.1mm Promethean might do as it covers APS-C, but with a short back focus so I never could try it on my a850. I'll arrange for you to try it on your A7 sometime soon, hopefully.

No perspective correction at all on these, there really is no distortion - that's due to having several aspheric elements at the front of the lens. Only PP is to tweak the contrast and sharpen them, they are HDRs though as an ultrawide on a M4/3 sensor is problematic in terms of bright skies and areas of shadow so the added drynamic range of HDR is a good thing, prettty much essential really.

No aperture either, it's just using the lens as it came out of the projector - f2.65, I haven't bothered putting a fixed iris disk in this one to see what improvement it might make as it's performing so nicely as-is.

Went up the road to Silecroft this afternoon, gloriously sunny late afternoon, and took this lens with me, it did rather well, doesn;t flare much even with the sun in frame, contrast is very strong, it's sharp everywhere, no CA to worry about, no soft diffuse glow from SA, it's a joy to work with.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here so he can't go back and edit or delete this pearl of wisdom as he has with with others he has spouted....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'll just leave this here so he can't go back and edit or delete this pearl of wisdom as he has with with others he has spouted....

ALL photos suffer from terrible definition on the entire right side (not just the extreme corner), although a tremendous sharpness boost was used in PP. See, for example, a 100% crop of image #14 from the previous post.

Certainly the lens is very decentered, but as it was originally used for projection of XVGA images, this lack of sharpness was not really important for that application.

I stand by my point that using projector lenses that have no aperture or focus adjustment is a waste of time, especially when you have photographic lenses that are specially designed to produce high quality images without the need of any improvised adaptations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL, you really can't ever admit you're wrong, can you.

The worst of it is, you're such a coward that you NEVER post any of your own work because you're so scared that people you have attacked will turn around and point out the flaws in YOUR work.

I don't know what I did wrong (yes, I am perfectly happy to admit I made a mistake, unlike you) with that shot, but there is nothing at all wrong with the right hand side of the lens and I have lots of pictures to prove it....

#2 Even the extreme corner is sharp enough without any obvious CA, this is probably good enough that even the Swiss troll with the OCD corner fixation would be hard pressed to complain...

#3 Ooh look, the corner is fine on this one too, does this mean Gerald is talking shit yet again???

So how about you just go away and leave the people who actually practice photography to enjoy it, while you go and do whatever sad, pathetic things you do to pleasure yourself.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian i have some questions about the two lenses:
- how do you adapt the Lens to your camera? Die you use a broken cheap Lens as a donor for the bottom part or were the lenses like this already
- am i mistaken or does the second lens design remind a bit of the legendary high aperture Quatsch Lens?

Your example are nice. They Look fine. Dont mind Gerald. I mean yes your Photos could be Post processed but even in PP you cant correct every Lens fault. And the example look mentiomed by gerald i have on my camera sometimes too once there is motion blur. Its not an AF Lens with a stabilizer.Keep that in mind

Last edited by bluedxca93 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of these focussing teleconverters, they used to be the best way of obtaining a useful helicoid before the availability of Cheap helicoids from China:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393487503704?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=393487503704&targetid=1405282543879&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006894&poi=&campaignid=17218284410&mkgroupid=142217514411&rlsatarget=pla-1405282543879&abcId=9300867&merchantid=9988624&gclid=CjwKCAjw_ISWBhBkEiwAdqxb9ssKHeD4LoGCoVEgLeVhc1eXdiZxmkD_2nAMs3o5VbYNWkPGa_nq4RoCm_MQAvD_BwE

You only have to remove 3 or 4 screws and the optic block drops out, leaving just the helicoid.

The rest of the barrel of the lens is composed of sections of extension tube:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321817659211?hash=item4aedd3c74b:g:shQAAOxy3cJTfXWO

It's not much more than sticking the projector lens inside the helicoid/tube combination, the key to it is getting the lens to sensor distance right, although the helicoid allows you to fine tune this, so it's not that critical. The only modification to the lens itself is to cut off the large plastic flange plate, but that takes a couple of mins with a pair of pliers or wire cutters.

I don't know who designed & made this lens as it's also found in Acer & Benq projectors and possibly oher brands too. That huge front element is an aspherical and there are a couple more very aspheric elements behind it, similar to this design from a Benq presentation:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian some outstanding images . I have never tried adapting a projector lens . Maybe I should give it a go . Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I used one of these focussing teleconverters, they used to be the best way of obtaining a useful helicoid before the availability of Cheap helicoids from China:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393487503704?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=393487503704&targetid=1405282543879&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006894&poi=&campaignid=17218284410&mkgroupid=142217514411&rlsatarget=pla-1405282543879&abcId=9300867&merchantid=9988624&gclid=CjwKCAjw_ISWBhBkEiwAdqxb9ssKHeD4LoGCoVEgLeVhc1eXdiZxmkD_2nAMs3o5VbYNWkPGa_nq4RoCm_MQAvD_BwE

You only have to remove 3 or 4 screws and the optic block drops out, leaving just the helicoid.

The rest of the barrel of the lens is composed of sections of extension tube:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321817659211?hash=item4aedd3c74b:g:shQAAOxy3cJTfXWO

It's not much more than sticking the projector lens inside the helicoid/tube combination, the key to it is getting the lens to sensor distance right, although the helicoid allows you to fine tune this, so it's not that critical. The only modification to the lens itself is to cut off the large plastic flange plate, but that takes a couple of mins with a pair of pliers or wire cutters.

Use these links if you don't want to be tracked:

Click here to see on Ebay Focussing TC
Click here to see on Ebay Extension tubes