Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

It is made in China, same producer of SLR MAGIC - 50/0.95, heavy lens - 680g, looks very good making.

belows pictures copy from Chinese website.

All shots by Nex-5N, full F0.95 open.

This Lens will be sold as USD950.- Will you buy it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good lens but I have no great need for 0.95 aperture so not one for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that kinda money to put into a lens, but yes it would be tempting. Mainly for low light usage for me.
This lens is also due out in m4/3 mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised at how wide the depth of field seems considering these were taken at 0.95.

Could these be crops of images that were taken from further away?
Maybe my eyes are deceiving me though. What do you guys think?
Anyway, I'm not interested in buying, thanks though Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mm f.095 Angenieux lens go around 1000 USD, for a noname lens like this, may worth for 300 USD in my opinion. Series is really nice beautiful woman can sell any lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300USD sounds about right to me too.

The dof was one thing I noticed too, deeper than I expected, but I put that down to it being 35mm, but even so, it's deeper than I would expect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these are samplea from the preproduction prototype.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xitek.com%2Fforum-viewthread-tid-998029-extra-page%253D1-ordertype-2-t-1335492994.html&act=url

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
25mm f.095 Angenieux lens go around 1000 USD, for a noname lens like this, may worth for 300 USD in my opinion. Series is really nice beautiful woman can sell any lens.

I cant agree, many people goes to buy VM 35/1.2 with USD1200.- Korean Samyang 35/1.4 with poor quality still ask for USD700 (but who knows Samyang 2 years ago?)

I heard all glass of Mitakon 35/0.95 shall be purchased from Schott, Germany, same production line made SLR MAGIC CINE 50/0.95 (actually designed by same Chinese people) now is selling more than USD4500 but you will have to wait min. 6 months to get one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Chinese people seems too rich 4500 USD for a lens and wait 6 months, that is silly really.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many Chinese people seems too rich 4500 USD for a lens and wait 6 months, that is silly really.

oh yea... you are right... really don't know what is their $$ come from... I am Chinese but poor.....

Last edited by stanleytung on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKG wrote:
Korean Samyang 35/1.4 with poor quality still ask for USD700

Seems capable of some nice results..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

still much cheap than Leica 50/0.95, USD4500 is cheap if same quality like Leica !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not cheap because it's not Leica. Leica worked for its reputation for almost a century, Leica has a warranty, Leica has world-wide representation, Leica has repair network, Leica has resale value. USD 5K for an unknown lens from an unknown company with no reputation, no service and no warranty is the same as sending money to Nigeria. Madness. http://lavidaleica.com/content/slr-magic-hyperprime-lm-50mm-t095#update

As for this 35/0.95 lens, they are undercutting CV in half, IMHO the price is too high, but plausible. I don't think they will sell many at $600, but at $450 that would sell very well IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
It's not cheap because it's not Leica. Leica worked for its reputation for almost a century, Leica has a warranty, Leica has world-wide representation, Leica has repair network, Leica has resale value. USD 5K for an unknown lens from an unknown company with no reputation, no service and no warranty is the same as sending money to Nigeria. Madness. http://lavidaleica.com/content/slr-magic-hyperprime-lm-50mm-t095#update

As for this 35/0.95 lens, they are undercutting CV in half, IMHO the price is too high, but plausible. I don't think they will sell many at $600, but at $450 that would sell very well IMHO.

Leica is valueful name, but not value that much. German Labor cost is highest in the world, it will be key reason for Leica selling price.

but usd450 for a 35mm f0.95 seems ridiculous lower, it is not a CCTV lens but including 6 ED glass, I saw Chinese websit, 35/0.95 is offering 5years warranty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigeyes wrote:

Leica is valueful name, but not value that much. German Labor cost is highest in the world, it will be key reason for Leica selling price.

Leica pricing has very little to do with labor cost. Luis Vuitton handbag costs crazy money, but even if you produce "a better handbag", you wouldn't be able to charge Louis Vuitton money. Same case here.

Quote:

I saw Chinese websit, 35/0.95 is offering 5years warranty

Who is behind this warranty? What do you do if you have a problem, ship the lens to China? What do you do if the website closes down? How much time the repair + travel both ways is going to take? Who pays the shipping? Whom do you complain to if the warranty is refused? Perhaps it can have some value if you live in China. For the rest of the world, it's an empty warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
bigeyes wrote:

Leica pricing has very little to do with labor cost. Luis Vuitton handbag costs crazy money, but even if you produce "a better handbag", you wouldn't be able to charge Louis Vuitton money. Same case here.

Quote:

Who is behind this warranty? What do you do if you have a problem, ship the lens to China? What do you do if the website closes down? How much time the repair + travel both ways is going to take? Who pays the shipping? Whom do you complain to if the warranty is refused? Perhaps it can have some value if you live in China. For the rest of the world, it's an empty warranty.

exactly.....even I am in Hong Kon right now....I won't really buy or try a CHINA made lens ...... they just a copy cat.... we still can search and buy some good lens out there.... and don't know are they harm for health as well....all QC is just lying in there.. ..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
bigeyes wrote:

Quote:

Today there has a lot of 2nd hand lens trading, where can you find the warranty? There also has a lot of the lens with modification, where is the warranty?

Ok, even if you not agree this lens value, but today where can you find a 35/0.95 with usd300 cost? Please advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today there has a lot of 2nd hand lens trading, where can you find the warranty? There also has a lot of the lens with modification, where is the warranty?

Ok, even if you not agree this lens value, but today where can you find a 35/0.95 with usd300 cost? Please advice.

bigeyes, I certainly see your point. Lots of trading and 2nd hand equipment that doesn't carry any warranty at all, that's a
part of 'taking a chance' with some equipment. You win a few, you lose a few. But it's ALL fun!

f0.95: Really quite nice images, GREAT exposure values. The girl doesn't hurt it either, she looks good, and looks like she
takes care of herself. Her legs are LONG, which is a good thing. Cool I REALLY like the image of the leaf. It is unique and
gorgeous, at least to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $950 USD I think it's priced right, if you look at the pricing on other 0.95 lenses. It's above my price range so i'm not buying one.
As for waranty I don't care, because if I get one it will be used anyway.
If you're worried asbout the waranty simply wait awhile. If their are any problems they will be found quickly. 0.95 lenses are popular right now so they will sell, and their will be people testing them to see how good they really are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see the point of this lens, I can't think of a situation where 0.95 would actually be useful, not with the excellent high ISO performance of modern cameras and I don't see the sense in shooting wide open at 0.95 when all fast lenses improve visibly when stopped down 2 stops. This obsession with very thin dof and 'bokeh' just leads to a lot of crap photographs imho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanleytung wrote:
fermy wrote:
bigeyes wrote:

Quote:

exactly.....even I am in Hong Kon right now....I won't really buy or try a CHINA made lens ...... they just a copy cat.... we still can search and buy some good lens out there.... and don't know are they harm for health as well....all QC is just lying in there.. ..

Dear Stanely,

Tell me who did making 35mm f0.95 before, and especially this time, Chinese copied from whom?
Made in China is popular words in today's market, not surprise you are using something from Chinese hand, why you are telling the people that Chinese QC is lying?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, a 35/0.95 at 950 usd seem "normal" to me.
I wouldn't buy it because i think I don't need it, but that's just me: I'd rather buy a 35/2 (or 1.4) and a good flash.

One thing I'd carefully consider before buying such a lens (even if I decided to go for it) is that - for what I understand reading reviews and pre release notes - it only covers aps-c: so, since I plan going full frame as the first necessary upgrade to my equipment, i wouldn't invest such money in something i will not be able to use on my next camera.

I also thought the DOF on the sample pics is deeper than I would expect at a such aperture, but I never saw wides this fast before, so probably that's why.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

Superficially, these look very nice. But it's hard to judge the quality on such small pictures, and I see some failings that worry me.

This picture shows strong purple fringing around the girl's white top

and this one along the edge of the black jacket.

This is right in the middle of the frame, so t looks like fringing will be a big issue.

This picture shows a very odd area that is in focus. The girl's face looks sharp enough, but what about her feet and the chain next to her? And the chain right in the foreground is sharp. Does this lens have enormous field curvature?

And again here - her face is sharp but her feet are soft.

As Atilla said, a pretty face can sell anything.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mark, and I think the photos would look better if the lens was sopped down to f2 or f2.8. I repeat what I said before, I really don't see the point in shooting wide open. Stopped down 2 stops I bet the CA would be less and all of the girl would be sharp, whereas the background would still be blurred.

I think it's just bad technique to shoot subjects like this wide open, the purpose is simply to get a gimmicky effect to satisfy this daft obsession with 'bokeh' and it results in lesser IQ and less good pictures.

I know this isn't a great picture, but it's not bad. I used my Hexanon 1.4/50 at f2.8 and the background is still nicely blurred and the subject isolated. If I'd shot it at 1.4 not all of the subject would be in focus and the picture would be less sharp with less contrast. So again, what's the point in a 0.95 lens and what's the point in shooting it wide open? Might as well save a few hundred dollars and get a 2/35 or save more and get a 2.8/35.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I REALLY like the image of the leaf. It is unique and gorgeous, at least to me.

That's the Samyang 35mm f/1.4, sorry for any confusion caused.