Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
WTF it's held together with Loktite instead of screws!!!

I'll tell you a secret, the "mighty" canon EF 50/1.2 L is also held together using tape )

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fclub.foto.ru%2Fforum%2Fview_topic.php%3Ftopic_id%3D486661%26topic_id%3D486661%26mode%3Dl%26page%3D1%23listStart

That's awful, I know the 1.8/50 is a cheap plastic toy, optically good but built so badly they often don't last a year of normal use (a friend has had 3 in less than 2 years) and the EF-S 18-55 is equally bad, but for a very expensive L lens to be held together with double-sided sticky tape is quite ludicrous.

Shame on Canon...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos is speaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigeyes wrote:
Photos is speaking.

Nice samples, but I'd like to see some street photos, maybe portraits Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for bragging rights, I don't see anything special about these samples.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Except for bragging rights, I don't see anything special about these samples.

+1

And that's a lot of purple fringing on the chrome highlights, pretty unnaceptable wide open performance imho, so what if it's acceptably sharp if the CA is that bad.

2-300USD worth maybe, but 950 for a no-name lens of uncertain construction quality is about 3x too much.

What if this thing is held together by glue and it falls apart after a bit of use, I bet there isn't much of a warranty on it, if any at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanleytung wrote:

exactly.....even I am in Hong Kon right now....I won't really buy or try a CHINA made lens ...... they just a copy cat.... we still can search and buy some good lens out there.... and don't know are they harm for health as well....all QC is just lying in there.. ..

I am sorry but you are just one snobby person from Hong Kong that turns your nose on everything Chinese, that Chinese can not design and build quality stuff. Do you know that most lenses use or derive from the same optical designed invented many, many decades ago?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I still don't see the point of this lens, I can't think of a situation where 0.95 would actually be useful, not with the excellent high ISO performance of modern cameras and I don't see the sense in shooting wide open at 0.95 when all fast lenses improve visibly when stopped down 2 stops. This obsession with very thin dof and 'bokeh' just leads to a lot of crap photographs imho.

High ISO can not duplicate the look of very fast lens. the pictures from your 50mm f1.4 lens will not look like those from the 50mm f0.95 lens at any ISO when shot at their widest aperture. Most people who buy fast lenses, especially the 35mm to 85mm lenses, to create a certain look that slower lenses can not do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
WTF it's held together with Loktite instead of screws!!!

Let's be honest here, these lenses are a gimmick, and a cheap gimmick at that, the result of this annoying fad of 'bokeh' that is really just amateurish poor technique. Shooting these lenses wide open is a waste of time, any fast lens gives much better IQ stopped down 2 stops and the bokeh is still great as long as the distance to the background is sufficient. Shot wide open, the IQ suffers and not all of the subject is in focus, it looks amateurish and crappy imho, and is simply bad technique.

I am just curious. Did you open one of these lenses and saw that it was held together with Loktite?

I respect that you don't like thin depth of field and you like to shoot at f2.8 with fast lenses, but many people have the needs of the 35mm f0.95, so this is the lens for them, and not for you. There is a reason Leica makes a 50mm f0.95.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and read the post about the SLRMagic lenses where the owner of the company admitted they were held together with Loktite.

I'm not knocking 0.95 lenses, I'm knocking a 950USD 0.95 lens that looks like it doesn't perform to a level that would justify the price and quite possibly is shoddily built along the same lines as the SLRMagic lenses.

The previous Mitakon lens we saw here - a 2/85 was not very good looking in IQ terms, so there really aren't many good signs to point to yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't understand all the bashing of the new lens. Should it be labeled 'Zeiss' or 'Leica' (and produced by whoever who paid enough to rent the brand name), it sure would receive a completely different welcome. Granted, the Chinese aren't great with branding. The "Mitakon" brand has been used before to sell cheap (=mediocre) Japanese zooms; it was re-used by a Chinese company to market a rather average 85/2; now they're trying to use the same brand to move a 0.95 lens. Poor marketing for sure, but please, people, keep your assumptions about the lens build quality until you handle it personally - or at least read a review in a reputable place that would have a professional look at how it's built.

As to this lens image quality, I don't see anything criminal. Purple fringing? Come on - show me ANY fast lens (faster than 1.4 that is) that does not have purple fringing wide open! 0.95 is an extreme design; a 0.95 wide-angle is even more extreme. Is there anything that compares to this lens in this price range? Do those lenses have less purple fringing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not because of the branding, it is because of the association with SLRMagic.

For example, look at the 50/0.95's aperture ring marking and 35/0.95 and notice anything very different from other maker's (hint: the spacing between marking)? I am inclined to believe that they came from the same designer and maker.

Yes, the built quality of the new 35/0.95 is unknown at the moment, and until some brave early adapter open up the lens and show the interior we will not know if the lens is held by glue or screw. Not that there is anything wrong with glue. But hopefully it does not fall apart like the 50/0.95 M.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand all the bashing of the new lens. Should it be labeled 'Zeiss' or 'Leica' (and produced by whoever who paid enough to rent the brand name), it sure would receive a completely different welcome. Granted, the Chinese aren't great with branding.

I don't think the question is marketing. Anyone sane wouldn't pay 1K for the lens made by unknown company with unknown quality somewhere overseas. If you want to dispute that go to Leica forum and tell that to the people who layed out 5K for SLR Magic M-mount hyperprime and were shipped glued lenses that disintegrated within 1 month or weren't shipped anything at all and cannot get their deposit back. I am sure they will appreciate your opinion. The links are available in this thread.

As for the image quality, I agree, the CA seen here is nothing extraordinary for fast lenses. But IQ of this lens is irrelevant as one would be mad to pay the asking price regardless of IQ. Also the purchasers of the infamous Hyperprime remarked that the lenses they were shipped didn't have the same IQ as the ones that they were given to try at the sales "workshop". So if the tests of this lens appear at photozone or elsewhere reputable, one should keep in mind that these would be hand-picked copies that might or might not have anything in common with the sold lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it yesterday

@f5.6

@f2.8

wide-open

@f16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what aleksander and fermy said.

Nice samples Laenee, it looks good stopped down.

Still, for it to be worth the 1k asking price it would have to outperform other options that cost less. The 0.95 aperture isn't a selling point for me, and has anyone actually measured the light transmittance? It might be T1.2, 1.3, 1.4, who knows.

Also, it needs to be proved it's properly constructed, that's unavoidable given the issues that arose with the SLRMagic lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my purpose the main attention should be on image quality. The sample images of the Mitakon look promising but of course there seems to be an issue with CA when used wide open. This is a very common issue on many fast primes like this and you see these also on the Cosina Voigtlander 35/1.2 ASPH or the Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH (which suffers much more from CAs at open aperture than the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95).

Another aspect is bokeh and how the circles of confusion of highlights change when the lens is stopped down. What I saw so far has not the appeal as the HyperPrime CINE 50 T0.95 that still keeps the circels round even when stooped down to F2.8.

Regarding the glueing discussion: Today considerable parts of aeroplanes and cars are held together with adhesives as well and also Zeiss and Leica use them. It depends on HOW it is used. SLR Magic may have had some quality issues with the first prototype samples sent out early this year. My prototype sample (it was one of the first six) was replaced in June and the new one has no issues at all so I believe that SLR Magic learned from the feedback of the early volunteers. I see no reason for warnings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please change your user name to something more normal , you can left your domain in signature line if you wish to advertise it , pick up please a more normal name and I will change it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back, when I forst saw this lens on Alibaba, I was chatting with the guy and he said that, what would be best describes as an "effort", was in conjunction with SLR Magic. We also went over the price of it and I said that the price was extremely high for such a lens due to the fact that the reputation of the company and the build quality had yet to be established.

I like collecting "fast glass", such as the Kowa's, Rodenstocks, etc, that you find from surplus sales. However, for any serious use I'll use an optically stabilized lens, stopped down to 2.8, which will essentially exceed the low-light performance that any f/.95 lens would be able to pull off. If you want the shallow DOF then I would suggest a quality telephoto lens, like a 135-180 at f/2.8. The overall IQ will be better and you'll have a telephoto for other uses not requiring shallow DOF.

You can seriously make photos with shallow DOF and with better IQ with a surplus lens and some make-shift adapters and it will be in the $50-$100 range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bee!

I agree fully , stopped down always help to get better images.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

F0.95 wrote:

This Lens will be sold as USD950.- Will you buy it?

No way! For US$ 300,- I would perhaps consider it. Perhaps.

F0.95 wrote:
It is made in China, same producer of SLR MAGIC ...

And that is the other reason why I woudn't buy it. The aperture of my SLR Magic 1.7/35 just fell into pieces the other day!!
It's kind of OK for a lens that is available for US$ 50,- but this doesn't have me putting any trust in that manufacturer. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
F0.95 wrote:

F0.95 wrote:

And that is the other reason why I woudn't buy it. The aperture of my SLR Magic 1.7/35 just fell into pieces the other day!!
It's kind of OK for a lens that is available for US$ 50,- but this doesn't have me putting any trust in that manufacturer. Evil or Very Mad

Both the 0.95 and 1.9 version are made by the Mitakon. The SLR Magic 1.7/35 is made by a manufacturer. The 1.9/35 is about $120 and it may be worth to buy one if one have no other fast 35s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I agree with what aleksander and fermy said.

Nice samples Laenee, it looks good stopped down.

Still, for it to be worth the 1k asking price it would have to outperform other options that cost less. The 0.95 aperture isn't a selling point for me, and has anyone actually measured the light transmittance? It might be T1.2, 1.3, 1.4, who knows.

Also, it needs to be proved it's properly constructed, that's unavoidable given the issues that arose with the SLRMagic lenses.

It is a T0.95 lens, pal. The f number is unknown, it could be a f0.9 or brighter.

Yeah it's soft wide open with a lot of aberration and has a "glow" that reduces the perceived sharpness.
But frankly, these problems are common with wide aperture lenses and I noticed quite the same characteristics on my Nikon Noct. 58 f1.2, and from samples I saw on the internet, the Canon 50 f0.95 fared a lot worse than this little buddy.

From a 0.95 point of view, it's optically acceptable, unique and affordable.

My only concern is the build quality, of which the feedback is a mixed-bag on Chinese forums.
There's talking about uneven coating in some cases, but not yet anyone reporting it falling apart or breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
F0.95 wrote:

F0.95 wrote:

The SLR MAGIC 35 1.7 is TV lens with new casing, this Mitakon is an actual camera lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member from Argentina! Thank you! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually it doesn't look worse than Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 which costs around the same.
But Nokton has an rangefinder coupling and FF coverage.

Also 950USD sounds a little too much for me as there's no RF coupling or FF coverage. 350-600$ and it should get get much more attractive.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you'd have to be a fool with too much money to buy this thing.

I agree, if it was 300usd it would be perhaps worth a gamble.

As it stands, 1000usd is simply exploiting the stupidity of people.

I wonder at what aperture do the corrections become acceptable? Wide open it's dire imho. It's not at all difficult to make an ultra fast lens, what is difficult is to make an ultra fast lens that is also highly corrected. Clearly the makers of this lens have made it ultra fast but haven't bothered much about the corrections, for me, such an item is not worth much, definitely not 1000usd.