Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mitakon 28mm f/2.8 1:4 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Mitakon 28mm f/2.8 1:4 Macro Reply with quote

I bought this lens because it was cheap, looked mint and the 1:4 close focusing is unique. I don't think it has anything to do with the Mitakon of today as this lens is vintage and OM mount. Anyone know anything about this lens? If not, then anyone interested in sample photos?

I took some sample shots and the lens is sharp even wide open. Focus peaks nicely as well and is multi-coated. I was going to compare it against my Komine made Vivitar 28mm f/2 Close focus which only does 1:5 macro. However, that lens is FD mount and I don't have a OM to Fuji X adapter. I do have a OM to EOS adapter so it's mounted to a Lens Turbo Ii currently so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitakon from the late 70s/early 80s was the house name for Mitake. I imagine that the name rights were purchased or somehow acquired by the modern Chinese company that uses the name now.

The macro 28mm lens is about the 4th generation of Mitake 28mm lens, possibly the first or second to be sold under the Mitakon name. Prior to that they sold to various badges, as well as Yashica US (YUS) at one stage, and also their DSB 'value' range of lenses.

In my experience the first two generations of Mitake wide angle lenses were of average quality at best optically, but were typically very well made mechanically in line with other offerings of the period (One notable exception in my experience was their 35mm F/1.8 lens, my copy has rather good IQ). The third generation improved somewhat, and the 4th Macro version was better again. Compared with other third party 28mm lenses of the early eighties, the Mitakon was competitive, which is to say, not bad at all, many third party 28s were quite good by that time.

I found my copy to have decent but not excellent IQ out to the corners at F8 and infinity in rough testing. It also has reasonably good coatings in my opinion. The lens can also be picked up branded 'Gemini', the version with a serial number starting with 'M'.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up Gemini 28mm f/2.8 and it's interesting since they are labeled macro 28mm f/2.8 but they go down to 1:5 and 1:4.5 while the Mitakon is labeled 1:4. I think corner to corner sharpness was an issue with most 28mm. Even the Vivitar 28 f/2 close focus has corner issues and is best as a APS-C lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mitakon 28mm f/2.8 1:4 Macro Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I bought this lens because it was cheap, looked mint and the 1:4 close focusing is unique. I don't think it has anything to do with the Mitakon of today as this lens is vintage and OM mount. Anyone know anything about this lens? If not, then anyone interested in sample photos?

I took some sample shots and the lens is sharp even wide open. Focus peaks nicely as well and is multi-coated. I was going to compare it against my Komine made Vivitar 28mm f/2 Close focus which only does 1:5 macro. However, that lens is FD mount and I don't have a OM to Fuji X adapter. I do have a OM to EOS adapter so it's mounted to a Lens Turbo Ii currently so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

This lens is rebadged for quite a few brand names and it is said to be a good one.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this lens is pretty useful. These are just quick snaps. SOOC Jpegs. Shot with a Fuji X-T1. 16MP APS-C sensor. Lens is mounted to a lens turbo. I am waiting for my dumb adapter without optics.

f/5.6

f/11

f/2.8 : Wide Open

I don't see any chromatic aberration issues. The lens is usable wide open. I haven't done any landscape testing, but from what I have seem these vintage 28mm lenses without aspherical elements show corner softness.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 100% crop. Still on the lens turbo II. Stopped down one stop to f/4. SOOC Jpeg.