Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Mirror Lenses Reply with quote

I have only recently been looking at mirror lenses. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with enough of them to make comparison judgments. There are the Russian brands, Tokina, Tamron, Minolta, and a new Samyang. To my eyes, the Rubinar looks best, especially the 300mm, but seems in short supply and expensive. The MTO Russian also looks good. I know Tamron is highly regarded as is Minolta, but at least the Minolta is too costly for me, maybe the Tamron too, but I do not know values. Based on the little I know now, I would prefer either the Rubinar 300mm or 500mm f/6.3. However, I'm wondering about the Samyang quality in comparison. What I like most about the Rubinar shoots I've seen is the 3D-like pop. Any and all opinions appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Tamron 500, I have a Canon FD 500 Aand Minolta AF 500. Both great lenses, but the Tamron holds it's own. I have a lovely Tamron here for sale for a friend, I love it - but just can't justify buying another mirror lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the 500mm is my favorite focal length I tried over the time serveral lenses.

The best one I ever owned (and still own) is the Leica Mr-Telyt-R (which is a Minolta lens). I owned also a Olympus lens (there must be some sample images within the forum), which was not bad either. The Tamron is also a fine lens (there are samples here too). I had some Russian lenses too, but sometimes I have had problems to mount them on a D800 for example due to the big prism including flash light.

I had also the Canon FD modified by Trifox for Canon EOS (also not too bad, but at least not the same level as the Leica). So what I will say,
do not buy any mirror lens and save instead the money for the best price/performance ratio you can get, and that is I believe the Leica/Minolta mirror.

It is the same situation as with other lenses - real bargains are very rare within this market segment.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximate pricing of mirror lenses .....

Minolta/Sony mirror lenses on ebay tend to go for £350 or more.
Tamron mirror lenses : the 500mm is usually in between £75 to £150, the 300mm in excess of £250.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the Tokina Rmc 500/8 and IMO it's a bargain as mirrors go. You can still find them like new in the case for under a $100 and the quality is very good.

The best samples I have seen have been from the Tamron, and you can find those for decent prices if you look hard enough. I agree the Minoltas are well regarded but expensive. The Russian lenses look good too, but I'm not real up on which ones are the best. The Russians did invent them I think, I would guess they make some good ones.

Interested in what you end up with and seeing samples.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many of them Tamron SP 350mm f5.6, Tamron SP 500mm F8, MTO 500mm F8, MTO 500mm f6.3, Chinon 300mm f5.6, some other noname 300mm f5.6 I forgot their name , they are wasn't impressive enough to remember Smile Minolta MD 250mm f5.6, Rubinar 300mm f4.5 , Rubinar 500mm f8 and MTO 1000mm F11.

From all above MTO lenses are very sharp and they are excellent telephoto lenses , if subject fill frame , no doughnuts , most affordable long lenses.

Tamron SP 500mm f8 very compact and sharp like MTO lenses.

Tamron SP 350mm f5.6 very , sharp excellent contrast top lens to me.

Minolta 250mm f5.6 one of the possible best , contrast, color, size , sharpness blah , blah

Rubinar 300mm f4.5 best for bokeh draw , even better than Minolta 250mm if you looking for bokeh
I sold my first Rubinar due I couldn't get sharp image LOL , difficult to set focus well DOF is little .
Now I have second copy I not willing to sell it due unique finger print in bokeh

500mm lenses with F8 are too slow , too long to get nice special bokeh.

Noname 300mm f5.6 some acceptable, some okay , some crap , Chinon was nice.

Rubinar 500mm f8 I will sell it after proper test.

Currently I have Rubinar 300mm, Minolta 250mm and MTO 500mm f6.3 what I willing to keep.

New Samyang 300mm f6.3 wasn't impressed me based on samples , may they were taken wrongly just I did before or simple lens is too slow and don't give any effect like Rubinar or Minolta.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a mirror lens for your 5N, I can recommend the Samyang(Rokinon) Reflex f/6.3 300mm ED UMC CS. It is relatively cheap, compact and quality. However, it might not have the pop you are saying. I sold my Rubinar 300mm as I cannot focus well on it and ended up with a Tamron 350mm.

Also take a look at this old thread http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-the-second-best-tiny-mirror-lens-t66119,highlight,%2Bmirror.html .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is quite limited. I had a 500/8 t mount no/name that was horrible. Now I have the tokina mentioned by kenetik above.
It is actually most of the time in my bag, when I take a larger selection of lenses along.
It is not the sharpest lens I own, but for its weight and size it delivers a unique angle of view. But to be fair the quality of my shots is often limited rather by the slow aperture as you have to use high iso to achieve the 1/1000 second needed.
I consider it a great expansion of my options.

The dreaded doughnuts can be fun under the right circumstances, but they only appear when you have specular highlights in the background.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Bernhardas. Number 3 is outstanding. Mirror lenses are fun, and as you have so ably demonstrated, have some nice capabilities with the right person behind the camera. You did the Tokina proud. It's true with the four 500-600mms I have, the lowest shutter speed I use is 800, the highest 1250.

As for the 250-350ish mirrors, while I think they're cool, compact and high quality with faster apertures, they're far too expensive for me (thinking of Minolta and Tamron primarily) to justify buying one over a conventional lens in the same FL. I wouldn't complain if someone gave me one or if I found one cheap!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried many long teles and I found catadioptric lenses to be the most suitable to the kind of use I make of them (basically because they're light).
Also, I don't really use those long fl often, so I always hunted on the low price range (under €100).
Of the ones I had in this range, I ended up keeping the Rubinar 8/500: it is sharp (even if quite difficult to focus), it has with a nice close focus ability, and color and contrast are more than decent (you may need to push contrast on cloudy days, actually).
Another one I kept is the Makinon 6.7/400: it surprised me for its performance, even if it needed more contrast push than the rubinar, and it's so compact that it feels comfortable on the nex. The 5.6 300 is good too, but I sold it for profit.
Some samples with the 400 here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have always liked my MTO 3M-5CA 500mm f8

The Soligor 300mm f/5.6 is one of my other keepers Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information. Thanks to all for contributing. All images look good. Nordentro's seem plenty sharp. I think what Attila has said pretty much matches my observations so far. I may hold out for something faster than f/8 as I think that is needed to get the pop I have observed from Rubinar 300mm. I will consider the MTO 500mm f6.3 or either 300mm or the faster 500mm Rubinar. Minolta is definitely too expensive for me and a little short in focal length. I will continue to look and view images from the various lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300mm f/5.6 is a very nice combo, you need lots of light if you go for a 500mm f/8. The 500mm MTO f/6.3 as you mentioned could be very nice as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
300mm f/5.6 is a very nice combo, you need lots of light if you go for a 500mm f/8. The 500mm MTO f/6.3 as you mentioned could be very nice as well.

I didn't have any problems with the Telyt 8/500 regarding "light". If you have the right cam you can use 1000, 1500 or 2000 ISO without any problem.

(iso 2000 in a shop with bad light)

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using tripod is cheating Rolf Wink
Great shot if it was handheld! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mirror lens is a good option if budget is not a problem: Laughing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Canada-f-Leica-R-5-600-mm-Apo-Telyt-Prototype-Unicum-lens-/371087862716?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56668f6bbc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Using tripod is cheating Rolf Wink
Great shot if it was handheld! Very Happy

Well Lars, many thanks for the flowers. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course it was without tripod/monpod (by the way all of the 500er pics if have posted here so far were handhelded)
This is also an aspect whether a small cam is usable with such a lens. I don't think so. It is much better to work with a real DSLR for better balance

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
This mirror lens is a good option if budget is not a problem: Laughing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leitz-Canada-f-Leica-R-5-600-mm-Apo-Telyt-Prototype-Unicum-lens-/371087862716?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56668f6bbc

Thank you for that, Gerald, but I'm afraid I was too late, the sale had ended. I'll be quicker next time. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much experience with numerous Mirror lenses.

But I have with the Tamron 55B SP 500 F8 and it is a very good lens. Handy, very smooth to focus, built-in Hood, sharp and contrasty. Works for proxiphotography too.

3 pictures I made with it :

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier: Those are outstanding, the first and third especially. And a pelican too - close to my heart. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tamron 55B Mirror SP500/8 it's a favorite no doubt about that, especially in bright sunlight.It's a great lens for both long and short distances (I have picked one up for as little as $50 au just because it had a small amount of fungus,smaller than a dime/5 cent piece). I also have the 06B 350/5.6,it has issues and until I get them fixed I can't really comment...I can see it has potential from Attila's samples.

I would love a Telyt as it really is the top of the pile, and keep looking and hoping for one in my price range Very Happy The Russians are harder to find down my way,they do turn up but not on a regular basis. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Olivier: Those are outstanding, the first and third especially. And a pelican too - close to my heart. Thank you.

You're welcome, Woodrim.
Thank you too.

Moïra also did excellent pictures with this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Olivier. My respect.

Below 3 samples with my Tamron 8/500 and Pentax K-5

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Rolf.
Yours are also very respectful my friend. Very Happy

Everything's in control ?

Oh, I forgot to mention :