Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken pictures of both Canon and OM mounts and tried to compare them to this mirror, but do not have a conclusion. The picture is just not clear enough to see details. I'm afraid I will need to wait for it to arrive. If not a Canon mount, it makes no sense to have CA on the mount, so for that reason I am expecting it to be Canon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more important than the mount is the quality of the images. Before purchasing I went to where I usually check out image quality when researching a lens - http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/makinon+mirror/interesting/ I found that the majority of images were from the 300mm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this lens. Its quality is average but it can focus close.

The copy I sold has 'PK' on the back of the lens indicates it is in Pentax K mount. The mount is very easy to change so it will not be any surprise if found it is not in FD mount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The copy I sold has 'PK' on the back of the lens indicates it is in Pentax K mount. The mount is very easy to change so it will not be any surprise if found it is not in FD mount.

Yes, it looks easy to change, but where to get another?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Yes, it looks easy to change, but where to get another?

Reverse rings, extension tubes, boken lenses...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper and easier to just buy another adapter. OM and CA are two that I don't have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen Rubinar 500mm f6.3 , I love the first shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great for a mirror. Good catch. Rubinar was my first choice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received the (Makinon) 5.6/300 I purchased, but surprisingly, it does not have any branding on it a tall. Since it was listed only as 300mm, I had to research from the pictures and came to the conclusion that it was Makinon. Strange. Also, the mount turned out to be OM. Since I don't have an OM adapter for my NEX, I could only hold the lens up to another adapter while taking some pictures. I'm afraid it is just too challenging to get focus in this manner. So I pointed at some stairs until there was a point that appeared in focus. He is that test shot... not razor sharp:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have figured out the mount on my Makinon. It was confusing since it said CA, but looked like OM. And as it turned out, there as a 12 mm extension on it. It is OM, but seems converted from the Canon. It does not reach infinity but allows for short and intermediate distances. I could not get a decent picture from it even after working out an adapter. I've been hampered by rainy weather and bad light. Then I increased the ISO to 3200 and can now can shots. Shake is very sensitive with this lens.

I don't have any results that I would consider crisp, and certainly none the quality of the Rubinar, but at 1/20 the cost I guess not. Here's what I got, although taken in poor lighting with grainy 3200 effect...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the result is ok from a lens for little money(I used own this lens too). The shaking problem with lightweight mirror on my NEX-5N makes me very hard to get a sharp photo. An adapter with a tripod mount will help to stabilizes the whole set up. The build-in heavy tripod mount on my Tamron 350mm works well on reducing camera shake(the base of the tripod mount acts as a pivot).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
After my trials with my tamron 350 and doubting if I will ever get a sharp image,I have come to the conclusion this 300-350 mirror range takes awhile to get used to, keep persevering and hope for some better light. Be patient and I believe you will find the right lens eventually Very Happy

Calvin do you know if there are third party tripod mounts for the Tamron 350? My SP500 Tamron tripod mount is a totally different design.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:

Calvin do you know if there are third party tripod mounts for the Tamron 350? My SP500 Tamron tripod mount is a totally different design.

I don't think there is any third party tripod mounts made for this third party lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention how sensitive the focusing is - I can see the image going into and out of focus with the very slightest movement of the focus ring. I am certain that I would get virtually no in-focus images if I was still using my A200 with optical viewfinder without focusing aids. I may find it just too challenging in the field. I'll keep looking for the right Rubinar, but may experience the same focusing challenges.

What I did not yet mention is that the lens is quite nice otherwise. It is barely bigger than my 50mm Rokkor, very light, and the focus ring moves like silk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I forgot to mention how sensitive the focusing is - I can see the image going into and out of focus with the very slightest movement of the focus ring. I am certain that I would get virtually no in-focus images if I was still using my A200 with optical viewfinder without focusing aids. I may find it just too challenging in the field. I'll keep looking for the right Rubinar, but may experience the same focusing challenges.

What I did not yet mention is that the lens is quite nice otherwise. It is barely bigger than my 50mm Rokkor, very light, and the focus ring moves like silk.

This is the reason why I suggest using an adapter with a tripod mount. By adding a small quick release plate to the adapter and use your to support the plate(instead of the lens). This will help avoid touching the focus ring after you focus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Sample shots tamron 350mm Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tamron seems better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had a good day to test the lens further. This time I used ISO100 and it was bright enough to still have fast shutter speeds, a necessity. This experience reinforced what I saw earlier in how critical is the focus. This is apparent in the first picture where I had used magnification to focus on one of the middle stalks, then composed the picture. It seems that little movement resulted in the perfect focus moving to the left stalk where the thorns are sharper. Naturally, the farther away the subject, the less critical this will be. These picture show that the sharpness can be good if you are skilled enough to nail it. Maybe it is no different than other such lenses in that regard. Still, I think the Tamron, and certainly the Rubnar are better lenses. I was tracking a Rubinar 300mm recently that sold for nearly $1000. The 5.6/500 is much more reasonably priced, but the added focal length combined with the same f/5.6 must make it at least as difficult to focus if not more so.

I will be offering this lens up for sale because I know it is not conducive to my style of photography. I prefer to handhold and won't be happy if the focus is not dead-on. If anyone is interested in this lens for cheap, send me a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not suggest the Rubinar 300mm. It is hard to focus it at close distance as the DOF is razor thin. Focusing with the Tamron is much more easy with the adjustable tripod mount on a NEX.

P.S. You can sell this lens for at least $100+ to finance for your future purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

P.S. You can sell this lens for at least $100+ to finance for your future purchase.

I will include shipping for that price - for MFL members.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I will include shipping for that price - for MFL members.

This is a good news for MFL members. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out today since we have a very bright, sunny day. All hand held at ISO100. Where I did get the focus right, it seems good. Wild and crazy bokeh.