Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 55B has a built-in Hood. So I always use it.
Congrats drjs for your pictures !
Very neat and clear, good contrast, good composition.

Seeing your moon shot, it made me remember these ones I uploaded in a topic comparing different lenses mounted on the Olympus PEN E-P2 : Canon EF 70-200 F4 + Kenko extender x1,4 ; Tamron 55B + Tamron SP 01F doubler ; Tamron 55B alone.
That makes respectively in eq full frame format : 560mm, 2000mm, 1000mm.
http://forum.mflenses.com/moon-shots-with-different-combos-tamron-sp-500-f8-t64913,highlight,%2Bmoon.html

Here is the 55B alone
Pen E-P2 + Tamron SP 500 F8 without doubler. ISO 400, 1/160s.
That makes 1000mm eq 24x36 as the m4/3 format is half the full frame format.
cropped to fill the frame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images here. The best mirror thread so far.

Below few samples with Leica 8/500mm mirror and D700/D800

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M-5A on EOS 5D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all these wonderful pictures. I am a true believer that in the age of excellent ISO performance, focus peaking and automated exposure compensation via auto ISO, these mirror lens will find many new interesting applications where it was impossible in the film days.

Further, I also want to observe that most of the examples don't seem to exhibit the donut shaped brokeh which was suppose to be super common when using mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:

Further, I also want to observe that most of the examples don't seem to exhibit the donut shaped brokeh which was suppose to be super common when using mirror.

Happy to oblige Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nordentro: Now that's what I like. The first one has some good pop, the second has pop, poop too.

3D poop! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of a comparison today between the Canon FD 500 / 8 -which has slight fungus, a Tamrom 55B 500 / 8 and a Phoenix ( Samyang ) 500 / 8.
I took the same series of pictures with each lens, used the Sony A6000 and a Benbo tripod, I did try some hand held but I can't hold a camera steady enough to get consistent results, I'd much rather use a tripod or monopod.
I have adjusted the levels on most of these, mainly to be kind to the Phoenix / Samyang for which I haven't got the right hood, I used a collapsible rubber hood which was long enough but far too wide, and wasn't enough. I tried the lens later with a roll of black card for a hood and the difference was amazing.
All shot at ISO 500. The furnace is about 3/4 mile away and the power poles just over a mile. I started to shoot some pictures showing the donut bokeh, but a guy turned up with a ride on grass cutter and made a dust storm!

Canon FD

Phoenix / Samyang

Tamron

The Canon is very good, especially considering it has some fungus and has been taken apart to clean the worst. It's the sharpest, and the easiest to focus.
The Tamron is close though, it's a very nice lens and well worth the money they sell for. Which is about the price of a new Samyang, which isn't quite in the same league. This lens demands the longest, tightest hood possible, even pointed away from the sun. If that is done then it isn't bad, it's advantage is that it is light and compact making it a walkabout lens. It doesn't have a tripod mount unlike the Canon and the Tamron, but the light weight is no problem using the cameras tripod mount.

Last edited by Lloydy on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread. Again D700 and Leica 8/500 mm mirror

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: TAMRON 55BB Reply with quote

(my second one the bad one I started a thread about went back..) A couple of shots from the bird reserve. Pentax K-r.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered to post a few examples of the Tamron 55B 500m mirror lens - including a couple of donuts. I picked mine up from Ludlow market for £80. I really like it - a valuable addition to the 'armoury'. These were taken with a D90. I have a D7000 now, so curious to see how it performs on that.

Thanks for all the valuable info on manual lenses. I have a burgeoning Tamron Adaptall collection that has the benefit of fitting both my D7000 and a backup Sony A700. On the basis of this forum I bought a Helios 44-2 which is a joy too.

[EDIT - Thanks, Mo, for posting my photos below. I'm not sure why they're no displaying on my post. The URLs are complete in the 'posting box' and the message previews ok, but the URLs don't seem to have translated to the forum page ] Confused

Last edited by Flapper on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flapper wrote:
Registered to post a few examples of the Tamron 55B 500m mirror lens - including a couple of donuts. I picked mine up from Ludlow market for £80. I really like it - a valuable addition to the 'armoury'. These were taken with a D90. I have a D7000 now, so curious to see how it performs on that.

Thanks for all the valuable info on manual lenses. I have a burgeoning Tamron Adaptall collection that has the benefit of fitting both my D7000 and a backup Sony A700. On the basis of this forum I bought a Helios 44-2 which is a joy too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Flapper, it's a lovely lens altogether. And you got it from my regular "dealer" - every time I go near him I have to buy something! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Great pictures Flapper, it's a lovely lens altogether. And you got it from my regular "dealer" - every time I go near him I have to buy something! Laughing

Thanks. Yeah, but I haven't seen him around the market lately. I'm always disappointed - but my wallet's safe - if he's not set up on a Saturday!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Flapper. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get one donut bokeh picture with the Canon FD lens before the churchyard became a dustbowl, and I like the picture. A bit of PP but no sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Tamron 55B for the close focus I think more than distance,small doughnuts visable Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rrrrrrrr.....rrrrrrrr.....
Seems to deeply sleep. Wink

Donuts' bokeh.
I found these.

Tamron 55B SP 500 F8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without donuts.
The same day, Tamron 55B SP 500 F8, 5D MkII.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good images in this thread. I do have my favorites and will wait for the right opportunities, as always. I did buy a mirror lens just today, my first, a Makinon 5.6/300. Hoping for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Makinon lens I have purchased is en route to me now. The ad only said 300mm lens, so I had to identify it through research and concluded that it is the Makinon 5.6/300. I'm still not certain what the mount is; can anyone tell which mount it is?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's OM, notice the button.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see that, but couldn't confirm there was one on the other side too. The mount looks to be interchangeable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
I think it's OM, notice the button.

Several of my third party om lenses only have one button, and I still think Om. Looking closer, and not on my phone, the lens is marked CA, which I would think means Canon, but doesn't look like Canon to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, rear lens cap looks like Canon fd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'CA' marking on the lens indicates it is in Canon FD mount.