Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda Auto EC 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Sun Optical ? Interesting.
What was your source of information ?
This may explain some other Miranda lenses.

The Miranda EC, E series Compact line came out in 1974, which was during the time Sun was building lenses for Soligor. There was actually a EC line in Soligor brand for Miranda, that appears to be the same as the Miranda versions. I've only seen the Soligor EC 28 2.8 so far, and sadly, the pictures weren't good enough to make 100% sure the lenses are the same. Sad
The Soligor EC 28 2.8, I could see the serial number and it was a 3 code lens which makes it Sun made.
I will continue to search for and hopefully buy a Soligor EC verion and compare them. I really want to prove or disprove this theory. Smile

Almost 7 years later...
I finally bought the Soligor EC 28mm f2.8. I will be starting a thread on the lens in the next few days. As to my theory Miranda EC lenses were made by Sun Optical, it's pretty well confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
walter g wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Sun Optical ? Interesting.
What was your source of information ?
This may explain some other Miranda lenses.

The Miranda EC, E series Compact line came out in 1974, which was during the time Sun was building lenses for Soligor. There was actually a EC line in Soligor brand for Miranda, that appears to be the same as the Miranda versions. I've only seen the Soligor EC 28 2.8 so far, and sadly, the pictures weren't good enough to make 100% sure the lenses are the same. Sad
The Soligor EC 28 2.8, I could see the serial number and it was a 3 code lens which makes it Sun made.
I will continue to search for and hopefully buy a Soligor EC verion and compare them. I really want to prove or disprove this theory. Smile

Almost 7 years later...
I finally bought the Soligor EC 28mm f2.8. I will be starting a thread on the lens in the next few days. As to my theory Miranda EC lenses were made by Sun Optical, it's pretty well confirmed.

Not all ..
1- Sun did not made/sold any 50mm on their own.. From who the (compact) 50mm : tomioka ? , cosina ? , chinon ?
2- 1974 is the time of Tokina as Soligor's main manufacturer (sun came as main manufacturer in ~1979 after allimatsu (THE actual soligor company) bankrupcy which leaved major debt to tokina)
3- In 1974 i did know only two 80/200 3.5 : one from sigma (without macro), one from makinon (with macro) and miranda sold a ec 80-200 3.5 (same as soligor c/d 80-200 3.5 which was part of the very first batch -1974- of c/d lenses but without the specific soligor's diamond rubber ?) .. For info : at that time : sun sold a 80/240 f:4 .. So who is the manufacturer Sigma , Makinon , Tokina ??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor sold an 80-200/3.5 during this period, it was also the earliest Soligor I know of to feature the C/D moniker:

I've seen examples of the lens with a serial code as early as 1969. I believe the lens was sold right through to the end of the 70s, but received a facelift to fit in with the Soligor 'look'.