Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda Auto 50mm f1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Miranda Auto 50mm f1.9 Reply with quote

Slowly building my Miranda kit. I have a set of tubes on order to make an adapter. Anyone have the Auto 50 1.9? I will test it handheld as soon as I get it.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the automatic 50/1.9, but rather the older PAD version.

Miranda sold an "M . L adapter" that adapts Miranda lenses to Leica M39 mount, and I have one of these from eBay. Once I get a mirrorless camera that can use M39 lenses, I'll just need to get a M39-to-whatever (NEX?) adapter, and I can try out these old Miranda lenses, without making a DIY adapter.

I wonder if these old Miranda lenses are unusually good, or just so-so?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
I don't have the automatic 50/1.9, but rather the older PAD version.

Miranda sold an "M . L adapter" that adapts Miranda lenses to Leica M39 mount, and I have one of these from eBay. Once I get a mirrorless camera that can use M39 lenses, I'll just need to get a M39-to-whatever (NEX?) adapter, and I can try out these old Miranda lenses, without making a DIY adapter.

I wonder if these old Miranda lenses are unusually good, or just so-so?

Thanks, I will keep a watch for one of those adapters.
The couple Miranda lenses that I have so far seem to be excellent build quality, produce nice colors and rendering.I'm looking foward to getting the 3 lenses I have on order and testing them also . I just ordered the tube set this weekend, so that will be a while. It's comming from China.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today. Very Happy We have sun today, so I was able to get a few shots. The first shot I wanted to see how the lens handels light,so this one is at f2.8. Resized,and sharpened with no other PP. Second shot is at f5.6. It is resized, minor contrast boost, light adjusted, and sharpened.

Shot at f2.8.

Shot at f5.6

Last edited by walter g on Thu May 24, 2012 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more shots. All images are hand held in front of a m42 adapter on my Panny G1.

Shot at f4. Pink Begonia.

Shot at f8. Orange Lilly.

Shot at f8. Red Lilly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few extra minutes today so I mounted it on my new adapter. I'm looking foward to taking this lens out for some real shots.
This is handheld at f2.8, and cropped resized with minor PP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice indeed. I have this lens, only tried it on film though and only 1 roll. It seemed pretty good, but then again, all 50mms are pretty good. After seeing your lovely results I must try my copy on my NEX, congrats. Smile

Out of those I have tried on my NEX-3, the 1.4/50 is excellent, the 2.8/28 good, not great but competent, the 2.8/105 is so-so, decent stopped down but soft wide open. I have 2.8/50 and 1.9/50 still to try as well as a 4/200 that looks like a rebadged Sun lens to me.

I'm starting to think Miranda lenses are made by Sun and Tokina mostly and vary in quality quite a bit, the 2.8/105 I think is a Tokina, as I think is the 2.8/28, I suspect the 28 is the same lens optically as was sold by Tokina at the same time.

There are a couple of Mirandas that intrigue me still, a 2.8/28 and a 2.8/35, both are huge for their focal length, not in diameter but in length, the 35mm looks like a 100mm in size. Why they are so big is what intrigues me, the only lenses of 28 and 35mm I have seen of comparable size were fast ones like the Kiron 2/35.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent result,congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks nice indeed. I have this lens, only tried it on film though and only 1 roll. It seemed pretty good, but then again, all 50mms are pretty good. After seeing your lovely results I must try my copy on my NEX, congrats. Smile

Out of those I have tried on my NEX-3, the 1.4/50 is excellent, the 2.8/28 good, not great but competent, the 2.8/105 is so-so, decent stopped down but soft wide open. I have 2.8/50 and 1.9/50 still to try as well as a 4/200 that looks like a rebadged Sun lens to me.

I'm starting to think Miranda lenses are made by Sun and Tokina mostly and vary in quality quite a bit, the 2.8/105 I think is a Tokina, as I think is the 2.8/28, I suspect the 28 is the same lens optically as was sold by Tokina at the same time.

There are a couple of Mirandas that intrigue me still, a 2.8/28 and a 2.8/35, both are huge for their focal length, not in diameter but in length, the 35mm looks like a 100mm in size. Why they are so big is what intrigues me, the only lenses of 28 and 35mm I have seen of comparable size were fast ones like the Kiron 2/35.

Thanks, Ian. Very Happy

I'd like to try the larger 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 also to see how they perform. My 2.8/35 is the short one 46mm filter thread and the same length as my 46mm 1.9/50.
I think i will give my 2.8/35 a retest now that I have an adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excellent result,congrats!

Thanks, Attila. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Thanks, Ian. Very Happy

I'd like to try the larger 2.8/28 and 2.8/35 also to see how they perform. My 2.8/35 is the short one 46mm filter thread and the same length as my 46mm 1.9/50.

Yes, I have that 28mm, that's the one I suspect is a Tokina. The larger ones come along on ebay UK from time to time but I'm not willing to pay 20-30ukp for one just to satisfy my curiosity, maybe one will come along cheap one day and I'll try it.

Good luck with your hunt, if you find them first and they are good that will motivate me to take them.

I must try my 2.8/105 on film soon, I have a Sensorex that is fully working, it my perform better on film than on NEX, but I'm not expecting it will be much better, which is a shame as 100mm is a length where my lens collection is sadly lacking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
walter g wrote:

Thanks, Ian. Very Happy

Yes, I have that 28mm, that's the one I suspect is a Tokina. The larger ones come along on ebay UK from time to time but I'm not willing to pay 20-30ukp for one just to satisfy my curiosity, maybe one will come along cheap one day and I'll try it.

Good luck with your hunt, if you find them first and they are good that will motivate me to take them.

I must try my 2.8/105 on film soon, I have a Sensorex that is fully working, it my perform better on film than on NEX, but I'm not expecting it will be much better, which is a shame as 100mm is a length where my lens collection is sadly lacking.

I have seen some Miranda lenses that I am pretty sure were Tokina made also.

Right now I'm buying mine by price, so if I find the larger ones cheap I will get them. Smile
It will be interesting to see if your 2.8/105 does better on film. I'm lookintg foward to the results. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've started selling Miranda bayonet to Micro 4/3 adapters on E-bay. They come from California (not directly from China) -- just search for "Miranda 4/3 adapter"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
Looks like they've started selling Miranda bayonet to Micro 4/3 adapters on E-bay. They come from California (not directly from China) -- just search for "Miranda 4/3 adapter"

His name is Rami and he's having the adapters made. This is the second batch. The first batch sold out in one day. I have 2 of his adpters. Very Happy
Miranda Bayonet to Sony Nex adapter should be out in 10 days. The adapters are made they are being anondized right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this will make the prices of old Miranda lenses skyrocket, now that they're easy to attach to mirrorless cameras.

I might get one of the NEX adapters when they come out, in case they stop making them after a batch or two. I hope to pick up a NEX-7 (or something like it) one of these days. Of course, it's unclear that the older Miranda lenses I have are exceptional.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price of the adapter is worth it, just for the 50 1.4 8 element alone, everthing else is just a bonus. Very Happy
Prices on Miranda lenses are already going up, but there are still deals out there.
A quick pic of the Miranda Bayonet M4/3 adapter. I will replace it with a better pic later.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this one foward for Tom. I also need to do some test shots ay f8, which I will try to do early next week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Bumping this one foward for Tom. I also need to do some test shots ay f8, which I will try to do early next week.

Thank you Walter.
The shots above look very pleasing indeed.
That red flower looks particularly impressive.
A good lens for sure and you have handled it well
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:

Thank you Walter.
The shots above look very pleasing indeed.
That red flower looks particularly impressive.
A good lens for sure and you have handled it well
Tom

Thanks,Tom.
The lens is definitely a keeper. I need to get it out and use it more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read, read and read.

But can't know if the 50/1,9 is a tokina soligor or a Kowa soligor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I have read, read and read.

But can't know if the 50/1,9 is a tokina soligor or a Kowa soligor.

Neither.

It is most likely made by Tokina, but this isn't the version marked Soligor Miranda.
This is the Auto Miranda 50mm f1.9. It's a black lens with arm, clickless aperture, and 46mm filter thread.
I will try to post a pic of this lens tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Walter.
How would you rate this lens agains the Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8?
Same?
Different?
Similar, but ......
Interested to hear your thoughts
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I haven't shot them much back to back.
So I'd say similar.

Both wide open on G5.
50 1.8 first then 50mm f1.9.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Walter.
Not much in it is there?
The 1.9 looks warmer and to my eyes, a tad sharper.
Much appreciated
Tom