Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MIR-38B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: MIR-38B Reply with quote

I have bought a MIR-38B 65mm f/3.5, for 50 Euros.

All the reports I have read talk of an extraordinary lens, as sharp as the Flek 65 which, also used, costs up to 3 times more.

Of course I don't expect it to be architecturally precise as the Flek.

Next week I will get it, I will let you know about it. On the Pentacon 6 it corresponds to approx. a 40mm of 135 format. On the 400D it will become a portrait lens Laughing

_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
I'd be most interested to see samples on the 400d, Orio.
Especially for close up shots/macro.Erez

Yep... unfortunately, medium format wide angles do not focus as close as 135 format lenses of same FOV. My MIR-26B 45mm (equivalent of about 28mm in 135 format) only focuses to 0.5 m , while it's common for 28mm lenses in 135 format to focus in the 0.2-0.3 range.

katzer wrote:
Pretty good price too, congrats:)
Erez

Thanks. I took advantage of one of those sales "shipping to Italy only", that here are not as common as in Germany or USA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!. Nice lens, one in the list of my long wishes list.
I look forwards to see the results on the digtal SLR.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on the MIR-38B:

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/mir_38b.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Some info on the MIR-38B:
http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/mir_38b.html

Interesting, thank you, I hope that mine does not have the registration problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you post a picture, Orio?
I just can see a Tripod commercial. Question

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote:
I just can see a Tripod commercial.

Manfrotto or Gitzo....? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like tripod didn't like direct linking.
Here's a different one:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens has arrived today, in excellent condition. The only weak part is the (guess what? Yes, you guessed it) aperture ring, which is very loose, although all aperture stops work.
I guess the Soviets used to build the aperture rings of the MIRs with the worst material they had. I still have to find one (except the 24M-24N) that does not have an issue with the aperture ring.
From the few test shots I made, the lens appears to confirm its good reputation. It is really excellent sharpness, I don't have the Flek 65 (for a direct comparison), but it's surely sharper than my Flek 50.
The case is a little wonder of engineering: they manage to fit the lens hood and the filters in the cap of the leather case. I almost did not notice them. Hood is good: a good metal hood that I can use on all my 72mm front ring lenses. Same goes for filters.
The best part for now seems to be the bokeh: I still have to test it thoroughly, but from the first tests I'd say it's amongst my creamiest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made further tests and I have been totally blown away by the results. I go immediately look if it's possible to find a new copy somewhere in some Russian shop.

This may be the best lens that I have ever used.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The lens has arrived today, in excellent condition. The only weak part is the (guess what? Yes, you guessed it) aperture ring, which is very loose, although all aperture stops work.
I guess the Soviets used to build the aperture rings of the MIRs with the worst material they had. I still have to find one (except the 24M-24N) that does not have an issue with the aperture ring...

It seems, I was very luck with my MIR-1B. This lens has a very good aperture ring.

Orio wrote:

Wow! That's a pretty strong comment. If we consider all the great lenses you have!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Orio wrote:

Wow! That's a pretty strong comment. If we consider all the great lenses you have!

I mean it. And when you will see the results, you'll mean it too!

I am only hesitant to publish because if everyone sees the results, they will all rush and buy this lens. I want to get a new copy first if possible, at a good price. Then they can raise the prices Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Orio I suggest you to remove this thread!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
@Orio I suggest you to remove this thread!

Nobody who don't know me would buy without seeing photos. Smile