Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 20M or Mir 47?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Mir 20M or Mir 47? Reply with quote

There are two Mir 20mm lenses out there and was wondering which one is the best to pick up. The 47 seems more appealing to me since I'm a wedding videographer and the 2.5 seems like it would come in very handy at a receptiion but at the end of the day, I'd like to have whatever has the superior optics so what say the community on these two lenses?

Chris W

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different 20M's as well... Not sure how they compare optically.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 20M certainly wins on presentation. I've heard that the 20M is considered the better lens optically and the 47 has mixed to negative reviews so it looks like the 20M wins. I guess I'm really hoping for good news on the 47 since it's quite a bit faster. Thanks for any help.

Chris W

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mount are you using, and does the lens need to be Russian?

If you're on an APS-C camera, you could look for something like the Pentax DA21. It's completely different from the MIRs in just about every way possible, but it's so small it is practically a body cap. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
What mount are you using, and does the lens need to be Russian?

If you're on an APS-C camera, you could look for something like the Pentax DA21. It's completely different from the MIRs in just about every way possible, but it's so small it is practically a body cap. Wink

Doesn't have to be a Russian lens. I just like the look I've seen from the Soviet lenses I have so far. That's really what I'm looking for. A wide-ultra wide with a wow factor. I'm definitely open to all suggestions out there and will look into the lens you showed me.

BTW, my camera is a Canon t2i so M42, Pentax, OM, and Nikons are all good with me.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
BTW, my camera is a Canon t2i so M42, Pentax, OM, and Nikons are all good with me.

In that case, MC Mir-20M is the one to go after. See, this lens is sharper than Mir-47. It's sharp from wide open. But Mir-20M has a little issue: flare in the corners, which fortunately only appears if using on full-frame cameras. I uploaded a picture to demonstrate the issue.

BTW, the two Mir-20 lenses pictured are different. The first one is MC, and it is the lens to go for. The other one, with bigger front element, is an old, single-coated lens that flares even more badly than the MC version. There is also MC Mir-20H (Nikon mount) made by Arsenal factory in Ukraine. Its build quality is inferior to Mir-20M, but optically it's the same lens. MC Mir-20H has filter threads (so you can easily mount a hood, which will help with flare); MC Mir-20M does not.

Flare with MC Mir-20M (watch the bottom right corner):

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 20M is the one to get? Will start looking up prices then. Great pic and illustration of how sharp it is. Thanks a bunch!

Chris W

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
So the 20M is the one to get? Will start looking up prices then.

MC Mir-20M (M42) or MC Mir-20H (Nikon mount), to be precise. I paid $119 for mine (like new in original case with manual and three filters), and it was one of those auctions that start from 99 cents, so I believe this is the current market price for those. Don't be lured by extraordinarily high BIN prices or auctions that start from $150 and up.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on price expectation. It looks like I missed out on when these old lenses were going for next to nothing. Most places I've checked have the 20M at around $190 + shipping. I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Watson wrote:
Most places I've checked have the 20M at around $190 + shipping.

That's exactly the inflated BIN pricing I was talking about. Wait for a reasonably priced sample. On the other hand, there's Arsat-H 20/2.8 (I have a review here: http://www.prime35.com/arsat-h-20mm-f-2-8/) which you can get for $113 new in box. Many of those are available on eBay.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the Mir20M was not the best (on FF cam). Maybe that there was a defect - anyway returned the lens to the seller.

Price info: Paid 90 € for this lens (Summer 2009)

Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recived MC MIR 20M. I will post soon some samples&maybe little review on 5d.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Chris Watson wrote:
Most places I've checked have the 20M at around $190 + shipping.

That's exactly the inflated BIN pricing I was talking about. Wait for a reasonably priced sample. On the other hand, there's Arsat-H 20/2.8 (I have a review here: http://www.prime35.com/arsat-h-20mm-f-2-8/) which you can get for $113 new in box. Many of those are available on eBay.

Great review! It looks like the Arsat is just as contrasty as my Mir 24 so it's a possibility. If the Mir 20M and 47 are going for that much these days, I might just opt for the Zenitar 16mm 2.8 since it's essentially a wide angle on my Canon t2i.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
I just recived MC MIR 20M. I will post soon some samples&maybe little review on 5d.

Can't wait to see those pics.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the adapter m42/canon. Too late for more samples - only two close focus(it focus from 18cm!) It`s sharp lens at f/3.5 at inifnity results are great(extreme corners maybe not)- i will send more samples tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Finally got the adapter m42/canon. Too late for more samples - only two close focus(it focus from 18cm!) It`s sharp lens at f/3.5 at inifnity results are great(extreme corners maybe not)- i will send more samples tomorrow.

Nice pics! I'm really just going to have to get all the Russian lenses, aren't I? I guess it's time to get that second gadget bag Very Happy

Chris W

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my two words:
sharp, sharp, sharp, interesting colour and contrast, distortion is acceptable in my eyes
but - it flares on full frame - i must make diy hood for it

Bokeh - very interesting for me Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately ebay lists the MC 20M around 200USD + shipping.

i was unpatient to look around more and bought one Smile
looking forward to use it on my 500D..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIR like Zenitar , buy only from photographer who in you trust! Other ways easy to get use less door stop lens. Several people report excellent lens , more others report bad or average. My copy wasn't good even on 2x crop camera Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
MIR like Zenitar , buy only from photographer who in you trust! Other ways easy to get use less door stop lens. Several people report excellent lens , more others report bad or average. My copy wasn't good even on 2x crop camera Sad

Bad luck, I guess. Mir-20 has a pretty consistent QC compared to many Russian lenses out there. Mir-47K, on the other hand, has reportedly a much worse QC and less consistency.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find my 47 all that bad..the more I use it the more I like it, but then I lack comparison with others

on Pentax K-x, first 2 wide open, I believe 3rd ( even 4th? ) too

I find sharpness even wide open not all that bad , bokeh and colors attractive. All the above were taken yesterday and they made me think that I should use it more at even very wide apertures.
Earlier I had found it too soft, but by now I believe that, thinking that with a wide angle and it's large dof focusing is not that critical, I simply have been sloppy focusing.

colors look good to me too

original sizes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157620334141135/

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mir-20m is sharp in the center but gets unsharp on the corners ://
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/mir20mnotsharp.jpg/

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I don't find my 47 all that bad..the more I use it the more I like it...

Splendid samples.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Pancolart
2 more

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I revive this thread, because I see that a detail was missed, about the MIR 20M.

Let's not forget that the three filters are part of the optical scheme of the lens so, one of them should always be mounted to the rear, threaded mount.

Using colour films, the "UF-1x"; with B/W, the "O-2,8x" or the "ZHZ-2x" (orange-yellow and yellow-green) resp.

Missing this detail, the quality of the lens decreases drastically, thus the reason of negative opinions on this wideangle.

In the practical use, I've found this lens of great quality. I've purchased it in the past september, in like-new condition; its serial no. is 842848, complete with metal-fitted leather case, with lens's name embossed on the lid, this, with compartment containing the mentioned filters.

The lens itself is superbly finished.

Best wishes,

Enzo