Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MIR-1B
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: MIR-1B Reply with quote

I just got a 37mm mir from Russia:

Overall I think it's ok for the cheap price but I found it is quite prone to flare. What do you guys think of this lens? (i guess many of you have it).

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many member of us love it, I very rare shoot with wide angle lenses I have no opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a nice lens but the MIR-24 (a more recent design) is faster and better.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=1114

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some more tests and compared it to "modern" canon AF lenses. The main difference is in the colours. Maybe not as warm, more neutral.
Another 50%crop:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with my Mir-1B. On my digital bodies it becomes a portrait lens with very nice characteristics and color rendition. This lens has become a Russian legend. Mir took Brussel GP at 1958 and still is one hell of a lens.

Some samples of my Mir in action:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you are a very good talented photographer, you able to make excellent pics even if lens is not top of the line. Congratulation! I am always jealous if I see your works Smile Keep posting I am curious really for the next surprises.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
I am very happy with my Mir-1B. On my digital bodies it becomes a portrait lens with very nice characteristics and color rendition. This lens has become a Russian legend. Mir took Brussel GP at 1958 and still is one hell of a lens.

Great pictures again sqwall. I like the Mir-1B too and I agree with you about the colours. I also love the way you can operate the preset aperture ring without clicks - on Av or P setting it becomes simply a DOF or bokeh control.

[edit: Note P mode only works properly with the focus-confirm adapter]

But it's a little too sharp for portraits for my taste. Depending on the lighting and distance, it highlights every little skin blemish. I guess I'm a bit more traditional - I prefer a slightly softer lens and between 50 and 80mm focal length on a 1.6 crop camera, so I can be a just little further from the subject.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I suppose you are a very good talented photographer, you able to make excellent pics even if lens is not top of the line. Congratulation! I am always jealous if I see your works Smile Keep posting I am curious really for the next surprises.

My father is professional cinematographer. Photography is his hobby and mine. He is great teacher. I can state myself as enthusiast amateur. I love photography and all its tricks and secrets. As profession am 3D designer and photography comes in plus because you learn much for the light. I am a geek person and I always tweak stuff. I can play with Lightroom for hours tweaking photos Smile.

I can post some of my 3D works if you guys want.

peterqd wrote:
Great pictures again sqwall. I like the Mir-1B too and I agree with you about the colours. I also love the way you can operate the preset aperture ring without clicks - on Av or P setting it becomes simply a DOF or bokeh control.

[edit: Note P mode only works properly with the focus-confirm adapter]

But it's a little too sharp for portraits for my taste. Depending on the lighting and distance, it highlights every little skin blemish. I guess I'm a bit more traditional - I prefer a slightly softer lens and between 50 and 80mm focal length on a 1.6 crop camera, so I can be a just little further from the subject.

I like sharp lenses. I can easy remove skin problems in PS. There are several great plug-ins and actions that can clean skin for portraits very fast and nice. For me in portraits the most important thing is the eyes and the cast and reflection of light in them.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
... As profession am 3D designer ... I can post some of my 3D works if you guys want ...

Say, doesn't Orio do the same for a living?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Say, doesn't Orio do the same for a living?

Well dont know but I will be happy to have a colegue here Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I work for Greenworks:

http://www.xfrog.de