Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MIR-1B lens review by squall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: MIR-1B lens review by squall Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/279/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time I think i made it OK. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very o.k., Ivan, outstanding images and I support every word. The Mir-1 is one of my favourite lens, I own two different versions of it. Sadly it hits the mirror of our 5D, so I could use it only as a normal focal length with the 350D. I've taken a few pictures in Paris with this lens the last days and I'm impressed by the sharpness and low distortion.

Only a small fussy remark Very Happy :
According to the site http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/history/volosov-lenses.html#p457 the Mir 1 was developed 1954. There are a few interesting lines about the lens: (babelfished)

Outstanding objective it is Mir-1. It have developed we in 1954 on the basis of the optical diagram Of flektogon of Dr. g. tsel'ner (GDR). In contrast to the objective Of flektogon, in which are used lanthanum heavy crowns, we used simple optical glass. at the same time we succeeded herself in more completely correcting the spherical aberration of higher orders and all chromatic aberrations in the region of the spectrum from G ' (l=434,1 nm) to C (l=656,3 nm), in particular the chromatic aberrations of the rays of wide oblique pencils, which led to an improvement in the quality of optical image... [ p. 457

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
In contrast to the objective Of flektogon, in which are used lanthanum heavy crowns

OK So Flektogons use Lanthanum "heavy crowns" (?)

Give me up Sad Sad Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_glass_%28optics%29

I've posted a link to a pdf from erwin puts about leica M lens some time ago (www.leica-camera.us/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_139.pdf), there you can also find some explanations about crown and flint glass used for optics.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sqwall wrote:
For the first time I think i made it OK. Wink

Very well done! I really think you hit the point!

My MIR-1B used to be my favourite 35mm lens, until I got Orio's Nikkor. Wink
But it still is a great lens in mint condition and I would never sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Outstanding objective it is Mir-1. It have developed we in 1954 on the basis of the optical diagram Of flektogon of Dr. g. tsel'ner (GDR). In contrast to the objective Of flektogon, in which are used lanthanum heavy crowns, we used simple optical glass. at the same time we succeeded herself in more completely correcting the spherical aberration of higher orders and all chromatic aberrations in the region of the spectrum from G ' (l=434,1 nm) to C (l=656,3 nm), in particular the chromatic aberrations of the rays of wide oblique pencils, which led to an improvement in the quality of optical image... [ p. 457

Very interesting. It is great to hear that the russian genius worked again. They tweaked the flektogon platform to the point that with less expensive materials the image quality is better than the Fleck one. And that is proven because my mir really gives low to none CA in most situations.

Thanks for the tip Michael