Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 1B 37mm: question for the experienced?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Mir 1B 37mm: question for the experienced? Reply with quote

Slowing down on my lens buying now, want just a couple more and the collection will be complete - for a while at least Smile

Have fallen in love with Russian optics, on the strength of my Jupiter 9 and Helios 44-2. So I'm thinking of the Mir 1B 37mm. Anyone any idea how much these should go for, and whether there's any advantage of buying the older Grand Prix version over this one?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a few warnings:

- this seller does not respond to my emails it's 5 days now. Luckily, I have not paid her yet;

- the MIR-1 and MIR-1V do not clear the Canon 5D mirror - I don't remember now which camera you have, anyway this can be useful information.

- I have the MIR-1V and it's a nice lens, very saturated colours. But sharpness wise I find the MIR-24 (available in M42 or Nikon mounts) superior, and a better buy for the following reasons:

- sharper (at the same aperture values)
- slightly wider (35mm instead of 37mm)
- one stop faster (f/2 instead of f/2.8 )
- multi-coated

Of course, it also costs about double the price. But if you ask for one lens to use and not only for collection, I would choose the MIR-24.

On the other hand, the MIR-1V is so cheap that you can buy one and still also buy the MIR-24.

(Note that what looks like a "B" is really a "V" in the Cyrillic alphabet, so the correct name of the lens is MIR-1V)

Last edited by Orio on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it , this is a good price at buy it now. I have grand prix version silver and this black too, no difference or the black is better. Anyway I not like them much I shoot with Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2. 4 MC or Nikkor 35mm f1.4 in this range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This price is OK, I don't know about the seller.

The MIR-1B used to be my favourite "35mm" lens (although it is 37mm) I liked it even more than my Tak 3.5/35 (although this is also a really good lens) and a lot more than my Porst 1.8/35 (although very fast) and my Soligor 2.8/35 (not bad either).
But now it's the second best, the No.1 position is held by my Nikkor-O 2.0/35.

Anyway, the MIR-1B is a great lens. I'm sure you would love it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay a little more and buy a Nikkor or a Mir 24 this is my conclusion.Take a look at mflenses.com/gallery many Nikkor , MIR lens galleries there.
You can see the prices at mflenses.com price guide menu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought two times from this seller. Although it sometimes took a few days if he answered mails, everything went fine. And, most important, the lenses were in a perfect state as described.

The price is, regarding that it is an unused lens from stock, very fair (as usual from this seller). Personally I'm a big fan of this lens. It's optical design is based on the Flektogon like the most "mir's". The designers were very proud of it, because they managed to produce a lens of this optical quality without the use of crown glass as it was necessary for the Flektogon (see http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/history/volosov-lenses.html#p457 with google or another translator).
It's my sharpest lens of this focal length even compared with some modern canon lenses for digital. The preset function makes it easy to use. And the color rendering is wonderful - I can fully recommend it. My Mir-24M can't reach this quality.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a nice example why need to buy lenses much as you can Smile from same lenses we have different opinions. A lens good or not very subjective, best if you take it and if you not like it you can sell it anytime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice, everyone! I'll have a think and will decide in the next day or so...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice portrait, Erez, very joyful, I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one, it's a very good lens.

But.....I hate its focus ring, it's too thin and very difficult to turn it because its shape is polygon.

Anyway, no doubt at all, it is a great lens and can create great pictures.

This pic. was taken by my Oly E500 with MIR-1B(V)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
That's a nice portrait, Erez, very joyful, I like it.

Yes, this mother and child pic is great!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mir-1V was my first 35mm lens. Since then I've also bought a Mir-24M 2.0/35, a Flek 2.4/35 and a S-M-C Tak 3.5/35. One day I'd like to do a proper test to compare all four, but my feeling is the Mir-1V comes third for sharpness behind the Mir-24 and the Flek. The Tak is pretty poor, I think this might be bad example.

On a full-frame film camera the sharpness of the Mir-1V noticeably declines towards the edges much more than the other two at comparable apertures, but remember on a crop sensor DSLR this is not seen. Also the minimum focus distance is quite long, about 1 metre. On the plus side, I love the pre-set ring, the beautiful little 10-blade iris for lovely out-of-focus highlights and, as said before, the classic rich colours of Russian lenses.

On the whole I'm glad I bought it (and I paid more than this offer), so I'd say go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tak 35mm f3.5 also was poor quality lens, I am afraid this is the lens itself, my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 also pretty crap worst Nikkor what I ever have.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An older example taken with Mir-1sh :

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My Tak 35mm f3.5 also was poor quality lens, I am afraid this is the lens itself...

Really? My Tak 3.5/35 is a pretty good lens! I guess I have to upload some example shots for the MF Gallery.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks ! Let we see..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katzer wrote:
Smile
Pilant, where did you take that picture? it's pretty wild.

That is Chaiwattanaram temple.

The temple locates at Ayutthaya, the Thailand (Siam)'s old capital.

More pics. from this place and this lens:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=2221

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived today in perfect condition. Strange thing is, though, that after buying it, I saw another one (the Grand Prix version) in perfect optical condition going for just ?6. So I now have two. The older one is a little more stiff, so maybe I'll use it learn how to lubricate old lenses...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Please share with us your opinion!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the advice - and, Katzer, for sharing those lovely portraits. I eventually bought the listed lens - and then I found another, the Grand Prix one, for just ?6...

Tried the newest copy on the beach yesterday: the colours and saturation seem excellent but I'm not sure - maybe I was tired - but this lens didn't seem very inspiring to me...

I like the circular flare though Smile