Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir 1 Brussels Grand Prix lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Just to show the difference. Same scenario as before but with Zenit M39 extension ring on a M39/LTM adapter on the NEX at F 2.8 (focus set to infinity).
Again a 100% crop of the center:

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I was hoping for some advice on my similar situation? I have a Sony a6000 and have used other manual lenses with it (Helios 44/2 and Takumar) and had no problems. I recently bought a lovely example of the Mir-1 m42. It won't focus on infinity when I use the m42 to Sony adapter.

Earlier in this thread you said the m39 version would work using the m39 extension ring on a m39/ltm adapter. I've no experience with extension rings but I know there are different sizes available. Can you advise what adapters etc I would need to use with the m42 version? Apologies if the answer is obvious but I'm new to using manual lenses with mirror less cameras. This is also my first post on this forum. Hopefully someone can help so I can get the correct adapter. It's such a lovely lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eross wrote:

Hi, sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I was hoping for some advice on my similar situation? I have a Sony a6000 and have used other manual lenses with it (Helios 44/2 and Takumar) and had no problems. I recently bought a lovely example of the Mir-1 m42. It won't focus on infinity when I use the m42 to Sony adapter.

Earlier in this thread you said the m39 version would work using the m39 extension ring on a m39/ltm adapter. I've no experience with extension rings but I know there are different sizes available. Can you advise what adapters etc I would need to use with the m42 version? Apologies if the answer is obvious but I'm new to using manual lenses with mirror less cameras. This is also my first post on this forum. Hopefully someone can help so I can get the correct adapter. It's such a lovely lens.

The Mir-1 in M42 version should work just fine on any M42 to Sony NEX adapter. The previous discussions have been about the Mir-1 in Zenit M39 version which has a shorter register distance compared to the M42 version; i.e. 45.2 versus 45,46 mm.

Obviously the lens itself does focus past infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a M39 version of this lens, is it a good fit on your M 42 adapter? There's not a big difference between thread size, but there is a great difference in focal length, which requires a different adapter.

I used a MIR 1B on my Sony A6000 and it was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Eross wrote:

The Mir-1 in M42 version should work just fine on any M42 to Sony NEX adapter. The previous discussions have been about the Mir-1 in Zenit M39 version which has a shorter register distance compared to the M42 version; i.e. 45.2 versus 45,46 mm.
Obviously the lens itself does focus past infinity.

Thanks for getting back to me Thomas and Lloydy. Yes, I'd read that the m42 version should work fine with the Sony nex adapter but it doesn't. I know the lens itself is in top working order as its pristine and does focus on infinity when I remove it from the camera and move it further away. Perhaps, if the screw thread is similar as you say Lloydy, it's actually an m39 and not an m42? How can I tell? Sorry again if these questions are pretty basic but I'm fairly new to all this. Cheers. I can post a picture of the lens if it helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this image helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eross wrote:

Hope this image helps.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

In M39 and M42, the 39 and 42 refer to the diameter of the thread in mm. You can check this with an ordinary ruler or tape measure. If, as you say, your lens focuses to infinity when you move it away from the camera, this would indicate that it is an M39 mount. As someone already mentioned above, the two mounts have a different film-to-flange distance. The notion is explained quite well here: http://briansmith.com/flange-focal-distance-guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eross wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me Thomas and Lloydy. Yes, I'd read that the m42 version should work fine with the Sony nex adapter but it doesn't. I know the lens itself is in top working order as its pristine and does focus on infinity when I remove it from the camera and move it further away. Perhaps, if the screw thread is similar as you say Lloydy, it's actually an m39 and not an m42? How can I tell? Sorry again if these questions are pretty basic but I'm fairly new to all this. Cheers. I can post a picture of the lens if it helps.

If your lens does fit on the M42 adapter it must be either native M42 or M39 with an M39 to M42 ring. So you should check if there is already an adapter (M39 to M42 ring) on the mount. It should look like this: Click here to see on Ebay.
If it turns out that it is Zenit/M39 then you have to remove that ring and look for an M39/LTM to Sony/NEX adapter (Click here to see on Ebay) and an M39 extension ring of 16.4mm (overall length 20mm) Click here to see on Ebay to solve the problem. This extension ring is included in the standard Zenit/M39 4 ring set.
If it's native M42 then the lens or the M42 to NEX adapter is somehow wrong or defective.
I do hope that you've got it now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be the correct outfit for the MIR-1 (Zenit M39 version) on the NEX to maintain infinity focus:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.[/quote]

If your lens does fit on the M42 adapter it must be either native M42 or M39 with an M39 to M42 ring. So you should check if there is already an adapter (M39 to M42 ring) on the mount. It should look like this: Click here to see on Ebay.
If it turns out that it is Zenit/M39 then you have to remove that ring and look for an M39/LTM to Sony/NEX adapter (Click here to see on Ebay) and an M39 extension ring of 16.4mm (overall length 20mm) Click here to see on Ebay to solve the problem. This extension ring is included in the standard Zenit/M39 4 ring set.
If it's native M42 then the lens or the M42 to NEX adapter is somehow wrong or defective.
I do hope that you've got it now.[/quote]

Thanks so much for your help, because of your advice I found this on the lens, which initially just looked like part of the lens. I removed it and screwed the lens straight into the m42 to Sony nex adapter and it seems to focus to infinity fine. I'm assuming this is some kind of extension ring? It looks like the m39 to m42 adapter on the links you provided but the threads do not adjust the diameter of the lens therefore I'm assuming it is a small extension ring? Anyway, this seems to have solved the problem. Thanks once again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eross wrote:
Thanks so much for your help, because of your advice I found this on the lens, which initially just looked like part of the lens.

I'm glad that I could help. That's obviously a short M42 extension ring to reduce minimal focus distance.
Have fun with your MIR-1. It's a very good lens.