Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor-QF 200mm f/3.5 on A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor-QF 200mm f/3.5 on A7 Reply with quote

This one was missing in my collection, but forum member Tervueren generously offered me his defective lens which i was able to fix again!
This morning began with some sunshine and spare time, so i decided to take it to the coast and do some testing! It proves to be an excellent tele prime and i am very, very happy with it.

Following pictures ave been edited a tiny bit, there's hardly any CA and it's plenty sharp even at f/3.5.

Thanks again John!

some samples:

1. wide open
Sea weeds by René Maly, on Flickr

2. wide open
Lost fishing net by René Maly, on Flickr

3. f/8
Little bird by René Maly, on Flickr

4. crop of the above
Crop of "Little bird" by René Maly, on Flickr

5. f/11
Passing by by René Maly, on Flickr

6. crop of the above
Crop of "Passing by" by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results!
What a red colours Shocked
Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! an excellent lens! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good!!!!

Well done.

I never had one of this lens before. But I anyways have seen images with strong CA. at f/3,5,

Can you post images with CA without fix them?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody!

papasito wrote:

Can you post images with CA without fix them?

Well, i looked through the pics, but none wide open with high-contrast scene and obvious CA, so i will have to make one. I'll try but it can take some time due to work obligations.

here's one unprocessed picture at f/3.5 though:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, your copy of the lens appears to be a very good one. I tried this MC 200 QF and couldn't get a sharp result even stopping it down. Had CA issues as posted above. Ended up returning it and settled for a 200mm f4 MD-I.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. I like the third one. I have this lens as well and its quality surprized me the few times I used it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
Excellent shots, your copy of the lens appears to be a very good one. I tried this MC 200 QF and couldn't get a sharp result even stopping it down. Had CA issues as posted above. Ended up returning it and settled for a 200mm f4 MD-I.

Thanks!
Artaphot website mentiones the MC-I as a not-so-good lens. Mine is the second version, MC-II.
See here: http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/175-minolta-200mm-f35

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This big heavy old Rokkor is very under rated in my opinion, solely based on the fact that it is 'big heavy and old' by people who don't see that it is plenty sharp enough and has wonderful rendering.
I bought mine maybe 12 months ago and liked it on the Sony A6000, but got more bad than good pictures - because it's big and heavy. Using a tripod helped a lot, but on the A6000 it still shook in a gentle breeze because - you've guessed it - it's big and heavy! Even my sturdiest tripod wasn't enough to hold it rigid, and I have changed the flimsy Sony lens mount for a Fotodiox 'Tough E Mount', which I highly recommend.
So, I made a long lens support for all those long lenses that don't come with a tripod mount, and the difference is amazing. This Rokkor has become a joy to use, it sits rigidly on a tripod and I know I'm going to get sharp images from it. ( I shall post some pictures of the support later )

Mine is the second version, the QF.

These are straight out of the camera except for sizing, the tombstone shots are wide open 1/1603 sec, the collapsed roof one stop down 1/320 sec. ISO400.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results René, pleased it turned out to be a reasonably easy fix for you, much better to give it to you than let it languish at the bottom of my cupboard waiting forlorn for me to attempt a repair lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this lens. Some great photo's! 3rd would be my favorite Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very good. Rokkor lenses are great. I went with the 4/200 and like it very much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great lens, i didn't see much CA to start with, but after the question popped here i tried to provoke some and here is the result. Wide open f/3.5, bright sunlight, uncorrected JPG From Sony A7.

First original pic, second crop.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me to promo: tests results on 24mpx digital - Minolta MC-II 200mm 1:3.5 lensqaworks review

-----------------
UPD:
comparison 'head-to-head' of Minolta MD 200mm 2.8 vs Rokkor 200mm 3.5 vs Rokkor 200mm 4.5