Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 Vs Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor 58mm 1.2 Vs Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.2 Reply with quote

I would like to buy a 1.2 lens for some for some portrait use. At the end of a small rounding through most of 1.2 lenses i reach to two lenses, Rokkor 58mm 1.2 and Hexanon 57mm 1.2. I would like to have some comparison details about this two lenses from the experienced gentleman here, especially when shoot wide open @ 1.2, about the bokeh, color, sharpness, etc etc. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very hard to recommend you something as it is rather unlikely that somebody has both lenses at the same time to do an unbiased comparison under exactly the same conditions. So there are mainly Konica fans lacking of the Minolta lens or the other way round.
I am from the Minolta fraction and have of course the mentioned Lens in my collection. I've already shown test shots of my lens here.

So I can only talk about the Minolta lens and give you some hints to enable you further reading or investigation about this lens.
Here are some good sources:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Battle%20of%2050s1.htm
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/#50
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/236-minolta-58mm-f12

I must say that the early Minolta lens (like my copy) is really fantastic and legendary. It delivers very good pictures already fully open although the maximum performance is reached at F5.6 (that is true for all of comparable lenses). As it is based on the "Planar" design from Zeiss it can easily hold up against all those extreme expensive "original" lenses. However, similar to the Leica Noctilux F1.0 and comparable lenses some vignetting occurs wide open but there is no lens in this league which is free from any weakness when used fully open.
For portraits this could eventually be also a positive feature.

What I have seen in the Konica specifications, this lens is equipped with 6 aperture blades whereas the Minolta has 8 blades. This has a direct influence on the bokeh. However, as the bokeh is only a matter of taste, it's hard to say something about this. I personally prefer always the more rounder bokeh effect of lenses with more blades. So the more blades the better the result will suit my taste.
I have no idea of the other performance details of the Konica lens. I only own Konica lenses for my middle format Koni Omega cameras and not even one for 35mm film.

Maybe you will find some helpful information here about the Konica lens:
https://sites.google.com/site/tks0en/3-hexanon-ar-lenses/-standard-lenses

As a general observation I would say that you should really overthink your need for a F1.2 lens as those lenses are nowadays expensive collector items and the prices are going up and up. Still reasonable and quite comparable are the F1.4 versions which are similar to the F1.2 versions very nice for portrait photography and more than good enough for a fraction of the price.
Especially the Minolta F1.4 lenses are all really excellent and can still be found for little money.

Watch that thread about the F1.4 ones:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-t71150.html
It includes also on page 2 a comparison of the F1.2 versus F1.4 and F1.7 versions....

If I wouldn't own the 58/1.2 already since ages I hardly would buy it for today's prices as the F1.4 versions are equally fulfilling my needs. Observe also the different sub versions. There are many around.
Also 4 different Konica versions are available, but I don't know their differences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I have to say that I am fond of longer focal lenghts and prefer 58>55>50mm, due to the bokeh, but regular fifties are more versatile, for portraits, certraily 57-58mm are better (not as good as 80mm territory on full frame.

I have both lenses, however have not done head to head comparison yet.

My impressions so far:

Minolta:PROS: legend, sharpness wide open is great (the later versions better), smaller in size, smaller filers/hoods, more blades (better bokeh @f2.8 )
CONS: minimal focal distance:(MFD)0.6m
Konica:PROS:build like a tank, beautiful lens,MFD:0.45m, CONS: I think more glowy and less sharp, my copy gives yellowish tone to pictures (sometimes annoying, at times pleasant)
bokeh very nice as well

P.s. I will test both of them this weekend head to head

Rado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:

Minolta:PROS: legend, sharpness wide open is great (the later versions better), smaller in size, smaller filers/hoods, more blades (better bokeh @f2.8 )
CONS: minimal focal distance:(MFD)0.6m

Interesting, that you state that the later versions should be better. I didn't find any evidence of that. Obviously the coating changed over the time but that has nothing to do with sharpness of the lens. Somewhere I have read exactly the opposite that the earlier versions should be better, but I don't recall where. However, I don't think that there is any visible difference in a "real" picture anyway and I normally don't care about such unproved statements.

What is a "better bokeh"? You mean it's more for your personal taste, right?
Bokeh discussions are for my taste always rather strange and very often not really understandable for me. Some people even like "donuts" in the background. Wink

I know from previous discussions with you that you care about MFD. I prefer to use distance rings to overcome any of those restrictions as even 0.4 m could be not enough under certain circumstances. In other words, for me that was never a criteria for or against a lens.

However, I am also looking forward to your test pictures. I have never seen a direct comparison of those lenses. Though, I would never ever buy the Konica lens as it would not fit in my set of cameras and the prices for that lens on Ebay are more than prohibitive additionally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the inputs. I have also heard about the yellow tone visible some times in Hexanon. Can you please post a sample, if you can? Sharpness, color and contrast are the main concerns for me in any case. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own any of those lenses, but from could be seen on Flickr pictures: Konica is sharper, but nothing beats the bokeh of Minolta.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have none of these, but few others. Bokeh in certain distances has a light ring or blue ring, and looks a bit harsh to me. If f1.2 is not really needed, many f1.4 lenses are as good (or better).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the prices that the f1.2 lenses are at, have a look at the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the hexanon 57/1,2.

But have the 1,2/58 rokkor.

It's my prefer lens. At F/4,8 to F/9,5 is very, very sharp. Correct contrast.

And with the FL of 58 mm, has beautiful rendering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting, that you state that the later versions should be better. I didn't find any evidence of that. Obviously the coating changed over the time but that has nothing to do with sharpness of the lens. Somewhere I have read exactly the opposite that the earlier versions should be better, but I don't recall where. However, I don't think that there is any visible difference in a "real" picture anyway and I normally don't care about such unproved statements.

I was asking the same question, which one is the best version. I have ver2 ver3 and ver4 (ver1 is quite rare).
I tested them while back and the newest one is was clearly best. I agree it is unlikely due coating.
I shall retest them again, certainly it could be due sample variation (I wish to test 10 of them) Smile
But first ones were just like other typical f1.2 lens, the new Rokkor (without PG) was the best.
Cheers,
Rado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bokeh discussions are for my taste always rather strange and very often not really understandable for me. Some people even like "donuts" in the background.

I agree that bokeh is very subjective, even some memeber here in the forum hate that word it seems. I usually test it in real life situation AND at home -as many things can change the shape of character of bokeh of the lens.

To simplify I post here 3 cases[ this is very rough quick test . but keeping with overal bokeh character of each lens ] :
this is Minolta 58/1.2, Konica 57/1.2 and Nikon 55/1.2 (not in that order)

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20156/big_4283_DSC00803_1.jpg]
[/url]

Some member might guess right order.
p.s. For example No2. is FOR ME least preferrable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:

I was asking the same question, which one is the best version. I have ver2 ver3 and ver4 (ver1 is quite rare).
I tested them while back and the newest one is was clearly best. I agree it is unlikely due coating.
I shall retest them again, certainly it could be due sample variation (I wish to test 10 of them) Smile
But first ones were just like other typical f1.2 lens, the new Rokkor (without PG) was the best.

I am anyway more than happy with my version 2 lens and would never give it away. So I didn't see any reason to look further for any other version or type from Minolta in 58mm. Furthermore my MC 85/F1.7 is my real favorite (same version 2) which I even like more, especially on FF body, although it is said that the later F2 version is the sharper one. Sharpness is not everything. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know from previous discussions with you that you care about MFD. I prefer to use distance rings to overcome any of those restrictions as even 0.4 m could be not enough under certain circumstances. In other words, for me that was never a criteria for or against a lens.

However, I am also looking forward to your test pictures. I have never seen a direct comparison of those lenses. Though, I would never ever buy the Konica lens as it would not fit in my set of cameras and the prices for that lens on Ebay are more than prohibitive additionally.

For some people the use "distance rings" is OK, however I need one walkaround versatile lens, which I don't have to faff around with, especially if Konica and Minolta can't use helicoid adapters, so yes for me, this is a big deal - it decreases usability and creativity and this is the biggest Con for Minolta in my book.[same for c/y planar 50/1.7-other excellent lens] [ but Minolta 58/1.2 is a great lens despite of that] Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first one, is it the minolta 58 1.2?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the first one, is it the minolta 58 1.2?

Sorry, no it isn't.
as you can see MFD I am talking about a lot is shorther for the first lens [hint Very Happy ] --> so the highlights circles are bigger and smoother, but I agree it is nicest of the three

Rado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that the first picture is from Nikkor, second from konica and third one from Minolta. Anyway sharpness is the first priority for any photographer, colors, bokeh etc are secondary. I think each versions having some kind of coating difference and it might not make much difference in the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sajualex1 wrote:
Anyway sharpness is the first priority for any photographer, colors, bokeh etc are secondary.

I wouldn't be that sure. Actually there are no really "unsharp" lenses around and only if you want to go to the extremes in terms of maximum output size (very large printings or the use of center crops AKA "digital zoom") the ultimate sharpness is required at all.

For the normal view on monitors in full picture size or the print of A4+ the sharpness of the lens is the least important issue and rather contrast, resolution, vignetting, color fringing, distortion and of course the bokeh are the visible differences.

So it depends on your photographic habits whether the limits of a "not so sharp" lens would be visible or not.

As I am coming from the analog photography being used to compose the picture already before I release the shutter and rather change the lens before doing any crops, the ultimate sharpness of the lens plays a secondary role for the final output, unless I want to produce very huge posters. However, for that special requirement I would anyway use one of my middle format cameras instead, to get far better quality. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the minolta but here are a couple from my recently purchased Koniaca 57mm 1.2. On the A7ii
scaled:

and100%

scaled:

and 100%

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, hope you're happy with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are a bit soft but taken wide open hand held in very bright sun with a bit of wind. I like the dreamy look and the "impressionistic" bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
Quote:
Bokeh discussions are for my taste always rather strange and very often not really understandable for me. Some people even like "donuts" in the background.

I agree that bokeh is very subjective, even some memeber here in the forum hate that word it seems. I usually test it in real life situation AND at home -as many things can change the shape of character of bokeh of the lens.

To simplify I post here 3 cases[ this is very rough quick test . but keeping with overal bokeh character of each lens ] :

[/url]

So I know it has been a long time, but is the Konica 57 f1.2 the first image?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OccultDemonCassette wrote:
radissimo77 wrote:
Quote:

[/url]

So I know it has been a long time, but is the Konica 57 f1.2 the first image?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Konica and the Minolta, i did some shooting of a friend, they are so similar that these two are the only ones i am sure about which one is the Konica and which one is Minolta, dare to guess? Laugh 1

The ones under i am not sure if they are from the same lens or i change it
Laugh 1 Looks that the next time i ll have to ask her to hold a piece of paper with the lens name Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the Rokkor. But i recognize the irregular shaped bokeh that it makes. The smoother, rounder shaped bokeh must be the Hexanon.

Great shots Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Interesting, i find them on par, the other variables in the pics like subject distance, background distance, light, seem to smudge the difference in rendering.

blotafton wrote:
I only have the Rokkor. But i recognize the irregular shaped bokeh that it makes. The smoother, rounder shaped bokeh must be the Hexanon.

Great shots Like 1 small