Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta RF Rokkor 500mm/F8 used on APS-C / MFT / FF sensor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemeterfilms wrote:
I have to say that I find it quite difficult to get good results from my copy of this lens and focusing is the biggest issue for me. On my A7 the peaking can be quite misleading and the magnifying function is just too shaky at this focal length. Out of interest I just shot a few out of my window. Sun going down and just resized (to 3000 x 2000) OOC jpegs.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1899864608/albums#page=2

I do see good results from this lens but I think I might try to see how it stacks up against crops from my Nikkor 300mm IF ED which seems a lot easier to use (perhaps because it is so heavy and thus steadier in the hand)

You are absolutely right that correct focusing is the biggest challenge with this lens. Especially on EVF cameras.
It's generally not so easy to make stunning pictures with very long tele lenses. That's true for every comparable lens, particularly for long distance shots. 300mm is more easy from my experience. However, some pictures require a longer focus length and finally it's possible to optimize the result during PP and limit the final output size to stay within the still good looking possibilities. I think I can live with that as it sometimes is better to have a not so large picture than none at all or objects in "ant-size". Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
On my monitor, IAZA's sample is sharp, but yours are still soft. The sharpest of your last set is the image of the clock face, but still it isn't as sharp as it should be. The crop of the goose shows there is something wrong, it's pretty soft, much like my Sigma APO 75-300 at the 300mm end, and I never use that lens above 250mm due to that softness.

Have you checked the cleanliness of your lens? It does look like there is some slight diffuse glow going on which you see when there is a fine coating of fungus present on one or more optical surfaces.

No, I don't clean my lenses too often. Wink
But I've checked that now. It appears to be rather clean besides some few little spots most probably from the last rain (some years ago).
If you refer to the goose. I see especially in the grass heavy movement blur caused by the wind and I really had hard times to keep the correct focus because the birds didn't stand still and at least always moved their heads to look for (non existing) enemies. The average exposure times have been around 1/100 to 1/200 sec. Maybe that's still too long.
The clock is totally OK for my taste. It can easily be modified to increase the contrast or change the coloring if wished. Sharpening would also be a possibility. Here we have obviously different tastes.
On the other hand if I look at the pictures on my monitor in full screen mode (50x33cms apprx.) I am more than happy with the result. Even on my Panasonic HD Plasma TV if presented at almost double this size they are still tack sharp. Maybe I should try a bigger sample print to check that also.
Don't forget that the 100% view is totally unrealistic if you do not crop your pictures, what I normally don't do. I am still from the old school to take the pictures as they are like in the old film days. No "digital zooming".
And in the first series of pictures of the rose bush it was more than obvious that the lens delivers different pictures on different cameras. That factor is always underestimated by many people.
Finally it may well be that this lens is nothing for you or let's say your taste but it seems to be good enough for me.
I think at least we can agree on that. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's pretty simple as I see it - IAZA's picture represents the level of sharpness that the lens is capable of, and that sharpness is, when viewed at pixel level is clearly limited by the sensor rather than the lens.

However, your sharpest example (the clock) still doesn't reach this level and some samples like the goose are quite a lot short of this level.

Therefore there is a discrepancy between what the lens should be delivering and what you are extracting from it.

Perhaps you can reduce this discrepancy? It is certainly worth trying as the lens is much more capable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing is not easy, that's true. dof is so thin, that's why it is difficult. But it's not too difficult too if we practice Smile a lot hehehe

I use it with NEX5, it has better sharpness tahn Rubinar 500/8 and Tokina 500/8 RMC i had before
even with some fungus on it Smile

I never use tripod on it in daylight (except for moon shot)
like this shot. No way I use tripod, because this rare bird landed on tree above me, just for seconds, so I made some random shots while my finger focusing. best one is;

found out, misfocus LOL,