Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MDIII 1,4/50 meets Magnolia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Minolta MDIII 1,4/50 meets Magnolia Reply with quote

Wide open...

[img]Magnolia bloom and bokeh by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MDIII 1,4/50 meets Magnolia Reply with quote

Magnificent. Smile

There's a Magnolia tree in our neighborhood which is just starting to blossom. Oh..! The sheer beauty of it is just awe inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I'm never too convinced about the wide-open bokeh of most lenses; I tend to stop down one stop, or even half a stop, literally to take the edge off it Wink

Having said that, subjects like the above make for very challenging bokeh conditions.

What puzzles me is why often lenses have been corrected for aberrations such that, when shot wide-open, their background bokeh looks a little busy, but their foreground bokeh is smoother. The other way around would seem more useful. Maybe there is a technical reason as to why that would be difficult to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that one stop would blur a little bit the edges. As to the technicalities I am clueless... but interested.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
True that one stop would blur a little bit the edges. As to the technicalities I am clueless... but interested.

I've seen mentioned several times in the past that it has something to do with a design choice of either under-correcting or over-correcting for spherical aberration, and how that affects background and foreground bokeh. The consensus seems to be that over-correction will give outlining on background bokeh but smooth foreground bokeh, under-correction would give smooth background bokeh but outlining in the foreground bokeh. But this may be a myth/incorrect; I'm not an optics design expert.

Delving into my lens design books (as far as I can understand them Wink ), it looks like that may not be a simple design decision as it also depends on subject distance and foreground / background separation distances.