Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0 Reply with quote

I took this lens out a couple of times now for some "testing". It's not exactly in prime territory but clearly better than the 70-210/4 I also acquired at about the same time. Definitely a keeper and a lens that will not just sit on a shelf.

A few shots with Sony NEX-6 (1.5 crop) below. Mostly wide open, landscapes at f/5.6 or f/8. Focal length not recorded.

NEX6_0003_3620 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3622 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3645 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3660 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3661 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3669 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3672 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3673 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3680 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3686 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskGgJaMN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a lens I want, your pictures are excellent. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0 Reply with quote

miran wrote:
A few shots (...)

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 , especially nos. 3 & 9

Quote:
It's not exactly in prime territory

It's certainly better than some primes (e.g. MD135/3.5)...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0 Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

Boris_Akunin wrote:
It's certainly better than some primes (e.g. MD135/3.5)...

Wide open they have different apertures (though not buy much) so not really a fair comparison but I agree, this zoom at 135mm/4.0 is better than the 135mm/3.5 at f/3.5. Stop them both down to f/5.6 or more and there's less difference. The 135 might be better in some areas if at all but definitely not by much and the zoom might be better in other areas. I should make a direct comparison one day and also include some other zooms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm/4.0 Reply with quote

miran wrote:
I should make a direct comparison one day and also include some other zooms.

You could look at this one...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already did. But nothing beats spending a whole day shooting test scenes any analyzing "scientific" data by yourself. Razz Very Happy

And besides I also have the 70-210, 50-135 and 100/2.5 to compare to, and a 35-135 on its way. Might also throw in the 35-105 AF (supposed to be the same IQ wise as the 35-105 MD). And while I'm at it, also do the 70-210/3.5-4.5 AF and 100-300/4.5-5.6 that I also have. And I think I might get a 100-200 soon as well. That will be one big great lens test. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Already did. But nothing beats spending a whole day shooting test scenes any analyzing "scientific" data by yourself. Razz Very Happy

I need to print out some MTF test patterns...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mtfmapper/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesus. Surprised Personally I think I'll stick with bell towers in the distance and whatever shiny object I can find for close focus tests. That's scientific enough for me. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 75-150 f4 today. $49 on ebay. I think in some ways it is better than the 70-210 f4...definitely MUCH less of the purple fringing issues that the 70-210 has! In fact, almost none. Also, while it is not quite as long on the long end, for being 150mm and also f4 it is substantially lighter and smaller than the 70-210. Definitely a bonus. I will be keeping it for sure. Some random shots from the back yard. All are either wide open or 5.6:
1)

2)

3)

4)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Mine was about the same price, just in euros instead of dollars. BIN with "make offer" that was accepted. I really should be more patient, these can be had for less than half this price in auctions, possibly a lot less. But there seem to fewer and fewer auctions these days, especially for items that are less common. And not many other sources for me other than ebay. Sad

Regarding this lens vs 70-210, yes, the same conclusion here. The 75-150 is a lot better lens. Both image quality is better and it's so much smaller and lighter. It's amazing to see such a lens with 49mm filter thread. The extra reach of the 70-210 and slightly shorter MFD (1.1m vs 1.2m) doesn't justify the extra bulk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i recently got one at the auction, i was only bidder, had lots of photos, and looked a little rough, but that was due to them using a macro-ish lens, and probably the onboard flash making every item look worse, i was only bidder, at £9.99 including free postage. When it arrived it was great super clean.
10x better than pics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that too a few times. What are these sellers thinking? They go out of their way to make lots of photos that make every dust particle 10x worse than it really is and in return they get less interest, less sales and lower prices. Works for us but why do they do it? Sure, it makes them look more professional and credible than if they only have a couple low quality photos but why go overboard with using strong lights to enhance every tiny speck of dust that is present in every single lens anyway? It just scares less knowledgable buyers away, and it's actually those who are more likely to pay higher prices. One more thing in life I'll never understand. But like I said, works for us. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be at least two versions of this lens. Some have blue markings and a higher price on ebay. Are there any differences otherwise?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
There seems to be at least two versions of this lens. Some have blue markings and a higher price on ebay. Are there any differences otherwise?

Afaik, there is only one version. Do you have a link to one of the lenses with 'blue markings'?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Afaik, there is only one version. Do you have a link to one of the lenses with 'blue markings'?

Ok the listings I was looking at are now gone. I probably mistook it from a 70-210. But I'm almost certain it said 70-150 in the description.
Can't fine one on google either so my mistake, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it said 70-150 in the listing, it was wrong because this is 75-150.

In this list there's only one verison: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Even if it said 70-150 in the listing, it was wrong because this is 75-150.

In this list there's only one verison: http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

Thanks, that clear things up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Congratulations! Mine was about the same price, just in euros instead of dollars. BIN with "make offer" that was accepted. I really should be more patient, these can be had for less than half this price in auctions, possibly a lot less. But there seem to fewer and fewer auctions these days, especially for items that are less common. And not many other sources for me other than ebay. Sad

Regarding this lens vs 70-210, yes, the same conclusion here. The 75-150 is a lot better lens. Both image quality is better and it's so much smaller and lighter. It's amazing to see such a lens with 49mm filter thread. The extra reach of the 70-210 and slightly shorter MFD (1.1m vs 1.2m) doesn't justify the extra bulk.

I know it.. I get impatient as well, and go for the BINs too much :-X! There do seem to be less auctions overall though. A LOT of lens BIN auctions from dealers in Japan. I've gotten one or two lenses from them and they have been in extremely good shape though, and shipping is much faster than I would expect from Japan - about 1 week to me in the US. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a looong pause, a few more from this excellent lens:

1. First a panorama made with 6 vertical shots at about 100-120mm or so:

2. Then a view into the valley bellow at around 90-100mm:

3. Then a long exposure detail view of the scene from the pano above zoomed in a bit:

4. And finally a similar view as in #2 but with fog in the valley and shot at 150mm:

Thanks for looking. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
... shipping is much faster than I would expect from Japan - about 1 week to me in the US. Like 1 small

I once bought a Minolta AF 2/100mm from a renowned dealer in Honkong - on Friday around 12:00 (Swiss time) i bought it, and on Sat morning i already had the message from Swiss customs that the lens had arrived in Zurich/ Switzerland!

Amazing.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me share the new review on LensQAworks - Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm 1:4.0

Additional comparison versus New-MD 85mm F2 and New-MD 135mm F2.8 will be published soon, I'll put link here too. It is a bomb - the lens is better than expected even after reading all these good words about it on different sites

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Let me share the new review on LensQAworks - Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm 1:4.0

Additional comparison versus New-MD 85mm F2 and New-MD 135mm F2.8 will be published soon, I'll put link here too. It is a bomb - the lens is better than expected even after reading all these good words about it on different sites

I concur.

[url][/url]Tête du Torraz by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Oh yes! That's the landscape

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised - comparison of this MD 75-150/4 vs. MD 85/2 vs MD 135/2.8

Unbelievable[/img]