Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Zoom 24-35/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Zoom 24-35/3.5 Reply with quote

I have always been curious about this lens, and now I have the chance to get one for what looks a reasonable price.
Since the lens is kind of rare, I'd like to know about it's qualities from your experience and what would a good price be for it.
I am planning to use it on my nex5r as size and range seem very interesting for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to some shots if/when you get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this lens on the A7 recently and all I can say is don't go for it if you shoot FF.At 24mm it is not usable - corners and sides (about 50% of the sensor area),are soft/chromatically aberrated,no matter the aperture.28mm and 35mm are okayish at f8-11,but nothing to write home about.This lens can be used on croppers like my NEX7/5Ns,where overall IQ is acceptable,though 24mm setting still lags behind.

Last edited by shapencolour on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up searching for the Minolta, not because of its qualities but because it hardly ever appears on Ebay for a sensible price. I put the
Pentax-M 24-35 on the list instead, and just missed one last week. I'm curious how they compare.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
I tried this lens on the A7 recently.and all I can say is don't go for it if you shoot FF.At 24mm it is not usable - corners and sides (about 50% of the sensor area),are soft/chromatically aberrated,no matter the aperture.28mm and 35mm and are okayish at f8-11,but nothing to write home about.This lens can be used on croppers like my NEX7/5Ns,where overall IQ is acceptable,though 24mm setting still lags behind.

Interesting, this is a very different opinion from the few reviews I found around, which were all generically praising the lens performance.
So, thank you very much for sharing the info.
However since I plan to use it on aps-c, I have a special passion for minolta lenses, and the price seem good for an uncommon item (€ 50+shipping) I am still tempted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the Minolta Aanything? Let's see some pics please! Smile

I was fortunate to find a Pentax-M 24-35 for sale here in Australia and for a walkabout lens on the NEX-7 I must say I'm very pleased
with it. Ian will probably chime in and say primes are better, and he's right, but when you don't want to carry a number of lenses or
don't have time to change them, a zoom like this is just right for APS-C. Compared to the 18-55 kit lens, mounted on the adapter it's
only a tiny bit longer, but it's a fair bit heavier and has a much nicer solid feel. I read on the Pentax Forum that a number of people have
found it fiddly to use but that's not my experience.

Here is a sample at 24mm and f8. There's some purple fringeing and softness near the edges but nowhere near as bad as I'd
feared - look at the tree trunk on the left and the white gate on the right. On FF this could be a problem. I'm pleased there's very
little barrel distortion, I'd rather not have the hassle of correcting pics in PP. The contrast and colours are superb, and this is without a
hood. I'm sure there are better zooms at this range, but for the price I paid - 75 GBP - I'm very pleased.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Did you buy the Minolta Aanything? Let's see some pics please! :)

I was fortunate to find a Pentax-M 24-35 for sale here in Australia and for a walkabout lens on the NEX-7 I must say I'm very pleased
with it. Ian will probably chime in and say primes are better, and he's right, but when you don't want to carry a number of lenses or
don't have time to change them, a zoom like this is just right for APS-C. Compared to the 18-55 kit lens, mounted on the adapter it's
only a tiny bit longer, but it's a fair bit heavier and has a much nicer solid feel. I read on the Pentax Forum that a number of people have
found it fiddly to use but that's not my experience.

Here is a sample at 24mm and f8. There's some purple fringeing and softness near the edges but nowhere near as bad as I'd
feared - look at the tree trunk on the left and the white gate on the right. On FF this could be a problem. I'm pleased there's very
little barrel distortion, I'd rather not have the hassle of correcting pics in PP. The contrast and colours are superb, and this is without a
hood. I'm sure there are better zooms at this range, but for the price I paid - 75 GBP - I'm very pleased.

No, unluckily the seller stopped answering me for some reason, and I basically forgot about it.
Too bad because I'd really like to try it, especially because of the range that, as you confirm, seems pretty much ideal for aps-c.
Your pentax look good, it must be a nice walk around lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the Minolta Rokkor 24-35 and I really liked it, but I shot with it on the NEX-7, so not on fullframe. I can believe if someone says that at 24mm it is not really usable on fullframe. But it's more than just decent on APS.

And together with a good 35-70, it makes a great two-lens-walkaround-set for a NEX-7 (or whatever APS-model):

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: md zoom 24-35mm Reply with quote

I have a copy of this lens which I think is very good with a Lens Turbo II and so assume even better with a dumb adapter (but without the nice FOV of course) Compared to my 35-70mm it has lower contrast (easily fixed), but it looks sharp enough to me.

Check out some shots with it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1899864608/albums/lens-turbo-ii

the shots of the plaza were taken with the 24 -35mm and the 35 - 70mm for comparison and the contrast difference is clear - but it is sharp.

Its a bit prone to flare so if you find one with the original hood all the better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Minolta as well and use it with my Sony NEX5T. In my experience, on APS-C, it is sharp, has very little distortion and minimal CA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Just finished review - Minolta MD 24-35 1:3.5 Zoom
Much better than expected actually, looks very useful lens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review, thank you!

As mentioned above, I have this lens and agree with your conclusions although I've only used it on a crop sensor camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
only used it on a crop sensor camera.

I think it even better on crop-sensors, because in the middle and in the center this lens absolutely has no any issues with sharpness.
Thank you too!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an MD 24-35 on my Sony A7. Perhaps nothing special but a good lens. Sharp in the center even wide open, liked the bokeh. Corners very good from f11 on. Main problems CA and flare resistance.
the_morning_after by CommanderBrot, auf Flickr
Astrup Fearnley Museet by CommanderBrot, auf Flickr
Sold it because i found a tokina 24 f2.8 which is lighter, faster and cheaper. And I somehow prefer primes. Used the minolta anyway mainly at the narrow end. The Minolta is sharper, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Hello,
Just finished review - Minolta MD 24-35 1:3.5 Zoom
Much better than expected actually, looks very useful lens

Thanks for the test - and your cross section of the 24-35mm looks really nice! Much nicer than mine, in fact ... congratulations Wink!!

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Thanks for the test

Thank you too, Stephan
About remaked optical schemes - I've just started this 'refurbishing' for Chiyoko lenses because the most sources in internet are in bad conditions or simply too small, like this one:

It was a maximum size which I was able to find. And Andrea Apra later sent me another one but also close the same size. So, in such cases I had no choices except to redraw schemes, and I just continue to do it for all my reviews. Of course I use many of your schemes, but not only yours, so circulation of information in the internet in progress, thank you a lot! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more dedicated article for this Zoom - comparison with corresponding primes - all are Minolta MD III
MD 24mm F2.8
MD 28mm F2.8 (5el 5gr)
MD 35mm F2.8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo. Test is good. I think to decide whether it is necessary , I would like to see examples at the wide end and the closed diaphragm (f11) in the far field.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may quickly compare the Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm L with the Minolta MD-III 3.5/24-35mm tomorrow. We all may be surprised.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I may quickly compare the Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm L with the Minolta MD-III 3.5/24-35mm tomorrow. We all may be surprised.

Stephan

Hello. Any news about this comparison? It is very interesting for me at least

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

Hello. Any news about this comparison? It is very interesting for me at least

No, not yet. Too much work - three large books with totally nearly 900 pages to be finished until October ... i may be able to do a "quick and dirty" test over the weekend; nothing to be published, but a good "preview" for a real test. I always run several of these pre-tests; they give a me good hints about possible quirks and problems which otherwise might ruin the later real test.

Stephan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
No, not yet. Too much work....
Stephan

Ahh, got it, OK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm offered $ 100. Someone put samples from it on FF camera to solve. )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone advise here ? Would €80 be an acceptable purchase price for this lens ? It seems to be in a "good" state ... (I already have the 35-70 macro version)
TIA!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Can anyone advise here ? Would €80 be an acceptable purchase price for this lens ? It seems to be in a "good" state ... (I already have the 35-70 macro version)
TIA!

It is a "common" price ... the lens is OK, but a contemporary prime (Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm, MD-III 3.5/35mm or MD-III 2.8/35mm) has a much better performance on 24MP FF. These little primes even clearly outperform the Canon 3.5/20-35mm L or 3.5/24-35mm L.

The MD 24-35mm is quite small, and if you don't need perfect corners, the lens might be a valuable companion.

Stephan