Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD W.Rokkor f/1.8 35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuveFC wrote:
I've been trying for the longest time to choose between the 35mm 1.8 MDII or MDIII or the 35mm 2.8 MD which i have also heard good things about. It will be used for environmental portraits. I HATE spending money on lenses i can't shoot wide open. BTW, it will actually be mounted on a Minolta XD11

If you want to shoot portraits, using the MD 1.8/35mm wide open certainly isn't a problem at all. Its contrast at f1.8 may be a bit lower, but the details are there (24 MP FF).

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think f/1,8 is a great addition for portraits.

I own the 35mm f/1,8 MD III and it's sharp, definitely usable wide open. Not tested for landscapes yet but for environmental portraiture, will be suitable. Bokeh is not the smoothest among bright 35mm lens but still not bad compared to some others (5 35mm f/1,8 to f/2 lenses tested).

I heard that the 35mm f/2,8 is as sharp or sharper, but I have no complaints about my 35mm f/1,8, except maybe that it's not as great as the 28mm f/2 MD III I bought with it. Couldn't decide between the two so I bought both. Wide open, the 28mm is a tiny bit sharper and has more contrast, but they are both very good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuveFC wrote:
I've been trying for the longest time to choose between the 35mm 1.8 MDII or MDIII or the 35mm 2.8 MD which i have also heard good things about. It will be used for environmental portraits. I HATE spending money on lenses i can't shoot wide open. BTW, it will actually be mounted on a Minolta XD11

I have no doubts that for portraits F1.8 is much better than F2.8, especially if both lenses are very close from sharpness point of view.
Here the comparison of MD 35mm F1.8 and MD 35mm F2.8 - infinity