Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD rokkor f3.5 35-70 or f2.8/35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD rokkor f3.5 35-70 or f2.8/35mm Reply with quote

I`ve been looking for a lens for my Minolta X700 and right now these two have come up locally for an affordable price. When I`ve started looking for a lens I intended to buy a wideangle one since it find myself in need of one all the time. Anyway, I`ve been hearing lots of good words about both of these lenses and seen several examples, however it`s still hard for me to determine which would serve me more.
I know that the zoom is a bit more universal, since it covers the mots used focal distances, but how good is it at 35-40mm compared to the fix f2.8/35mm ?
F stop is not an issue, since the difference between f2.8 and 3.5 is not that huge to me Smile.

Which would you take, like more, suggest ?

P.S. The condition of these two lenses are more or less the same .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the zoom, especially if it's version with macro option. 35-70 was developed in cooperation with Leica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the Minolta zoom and it is very good, but don't use it much as I prefer a 24mm or 28mm for wide angle and have excellent 35mm, 40mm and 50mm, 55mm, 58mm primes that are better than or equal to it, so that just leaves the 70mm end h'mm well. Also I always carry two film cameras around and one is usually with a 80-200mm zoom. Anyway you can't beat a zoom if you want versatility...so I would decide on how you want to use a lens.
Sorry not much help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
take the zoom, especially if it's version with macro option. 35-70 was developed in cooperation with Leica

+1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35-70 / 3.5 Macro zoom all the way, it's a terrific lens, so versatile and very sharp. I've got the 28 / 3.5 and the 45 / 2 as well, both are great lenses, but if I had to pick one, the zoom wins every time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I do have a MD f1.7/50 which I love very much. I`ll get some pictures of both lenses and then will judge which to get Smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took some shots at 70mm:

Disocactus biformis in a "Jungle" Setting

This epiphytic cactus is rare in collections.

Sony A7r3, Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm at 70mm 1/200 at f16 ISO 1000, hand held.

I did not use the macro feature via the button. [Edit: The flowers were each ca 5cm long and the distance was just under 0.9m, the closest without the macro button being 0.8m].

The stereo is crosseye.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the zoom. If it's the "Rokkor" version, it's weaker, has no macro and has longer MFD.

Only the MD version (without "Rokkor", with macro) is worth having (and has chances to be sold successfully...)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
Don't buy the zoom. If it's the "Rokkor" version, it's weaker, has no macro and has longer MFD.

Only the MD version (without "Rokkor", with macro) is worth having (and has chances to be sold successfully...)

Just to confirm: my lens is not "Rokkor" but is both "Zoom" and "MD" and has the macro function. I quoted what it written on the lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
hasenbein wrote:

Just to confirm: my lens is not "Rokkor" but is both "Zoom" and "MD" and has the macro function. I quoted what it written on the lens.

I think hasenbein was responding to the original post (from 2013! Wink )

In any case, whilst the MD-III is a noticeably improved calculation of the Rokkor version with macro and closer MFD to boot, and therefore the most desirable for sure, the older Rokkor version is still quite a usable lens!