Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 (MD-III)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 (MD-III) Reply with quote

Some test pictures of the last version of the Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 lens (without "Rokkor" name, just plain "MD").
The lens can be seen here: http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/143-minolta-24mm-f28
Pictures taken with my Ricoh GXR-M and have been slightly exposure corrected during conversation.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful results. Smile The 24/2.8 is one of the lenses missing in my bag. But they are less common an cost quite a bit. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those results show a quality lens.
Certainly up there with the excellent 24mm lenses.
Thanks for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MC version, my most used lens on the Minolta film bodies!

I think you can see why Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Well, for budgetary reasons I had for a very long time "only" the 24mm Tokina RMC lens in my Minolta MF collection, which btw. was not bad as well (at least on film). I didn't test it on digital so far.
Besides that I have the SMC Pentax 24mm F2.8 (PK) and the Minolta AF 24mm/F2.8.
Maybe I will compare them at a later stage.....

BTW, this picture was done with the same combination:
http://forum.mflenses.com/green-lake-t72226.html
You have to click on the picture to see it large.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I have the MC version, my most used lens on the Minolta film bodies!

I think you can see why Wink

It is a different lens. Mine is not good on the A7. Very weak corners . I really prefer the FDn 24 2.8 .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC W Rokkor SI 24/2.8,with 55mm filter,(Leica-Minolta) stopped to f11 on the A7/7R is sharp across the frame,corners included.f8 is very good either.

The Rokkor MC without SI and The Rokkor MD 24/2.8 with 55mm filters are even better,having newer coatings.All are 9/7 lensers.

The "plain" MD III 24/2.8 with 49mm filter is more evenly sharp across the frame (no that significant sharpness falloff towards the image sides below fCool,BUT at cost of lower center sharpness.It is a 8/8 lenser,not the 9/7 like previous models.

For me they are all very good performers.I chose one of them ,depending on subject,not the IQ.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
MC W Rokkor SI 24/2.8,with 55mm filter,(Leica-Minolta) stopped to f11 on the A7/7R is sharp across the frame,corners included.f8 is very good either.

The Rokkor MC without SI and The Rokkor MD 24/2.8 with 55mm filters are even better,having newer coatings.All are 9/7 lensers.

The "plain" MD III 24/2.8 with 49mm filter is more evenly sharp across the frame (no that significant sharpness falloff towards the image sides below fCool,BUT at cost of lower center sharpness.It is a 8/8 lenser,not the 9/7 like previous models.

For me they are all very good performers.I chose one of them ,depending on subject,not the IQ.

You are a lucky guy.
I am not the only one reporting poor results with this lens on FF sensor. If people want to to give it a chance....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the md w rokkor-x 2.8/24, which should be the 9/7 version, and I really liked it, it slowly took the place of the nikkor ai-s 2.8/24 in my bag.

nice pictures, btw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
shapencolour wrote:

You are a lucky guy.
I am not the only one reporting poor results with this lens on FF sensor. If people want to to give it a chance....

I know.All those Minoltas are not the best 24mm lenses concerning side/corner sharpness,but at f8-11 there is little to complain about.If you add up beautiful colour rendition and image crispness all that make up a very good lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are 3 different types of the Minolta 24mm lens available:

1. The first version (MC and early MDs) 9/7 construction which is also available as Leica-R 24mm lens made by Minolta. This version is famous for extraordinary center sharpness and some weakness in the corners below F11.
2. The plain MD version as shown here (8/8 ) with better corner sharpness below F11 and not as sharp center as the first version (but good enough for my taste).
3. Minolta AF 24mm 1:2.8 (also a 8/8 version) which is known to have the best performance across the frame on FF (quite similar to the plain MD version, though a slightly different construction).

The performance of wide angles on the A7 is a different story and has nothing to do with the quality of the lenses.

BTW, the very expensive Sony Zeiss lenses (ZA 2.8/16–35 mm and ZA 2.8/24–70 mm) perform slightly worse on FF than the Minolta AF 24mm at this focal length according Stephan from Artaphot, who I consider as a trustworthy source.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me up this theme by sharing the link to another one Minolta MD 24mm f2.8 - third generation
Hope it can be interesting for community and I planned to continue post links to next test-materials of Minolta lenses. (Site isn't monetized and use CC BY licensing, but please PM if it not allowed)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Let me up this theme by sharing the link to another one Minolta MD 24mm f2.8 - third generation
Hope it can be interesting for community and I planned to continue post links to next test-materials of Minolta lenses. (Site isn't monetized and use CC BY licensing, but please PM if it not allowed)

You're welcome.

As long as my pictures are not "stolen" out of the original context and nobody manipulates the copyright information within my pictures I have nothing against it. Everybody is free to link to any posting here at MFlenses. As long as this basic rule is taken into account everybody is free to do that.

However, the usage of my pictures alone in a totally different context on any other web-site would have to be permitted in advance. That's my understanding of "copyright".

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
As long as my pictures are not "stolen" out of the original context and nobody manipulates the copyright information within my pictures I have nothing against it.
However, the usage of my pictures alone in a totally different context on any other web-site would have to be permitted in advance. That's my understanding of "copyright"

Totally agree,
I'm using CC BY license - this means that I kind of allowed anybody to use the materials in advance, without asking, just leave a link.
(Of course, without violating the laws)