Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 200mm 2.8 on a7ii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 200mm 2.8 on a7ii Reply with quote

This lens boggles my brain.

this is 1 click from open

crop 1 to 1

this is wide open

crop 1 to 1

very slight adjustments to exposure and contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
This lens boggles my brain.

Center crops - at least at 24MP FF - usually are no problem, especially if there's mainly one color (as with this example).
If you start shooting landscapes (mainly green color, but lots of detail) you still won't have real problems. If, however, you take pictures of a city from above, you'll see disturbing CAs, even at f5.6 or f8.

Take a lens such as the Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO or the AF Nikkor 2.8/180mm ED and you'll immediately notice the difference Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am unlikely to be taking landscape photos with a fast 200mm lens. The AF APO version is 4 times what I paid for this, I would EXPECT it to be superior.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'd be very happy with this lens! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Great! I'd be very happy with this lens! Wink

Same here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technical superiority or lack thereof is not necessarily the reason why some people buy old lenses and visit this website. Sometimes it is the imperfect photos they produce and sometimes it is the pure satisfaction that comes with possessing or using them. For me also it would be quite interesting to use a 200mm f/2.8, yet alone a Rokkor, for flowers especially on an extension ring...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely samples, I have it too and used it on the same camera.

In real life the CA isn`t much of a problem.Probably at its worst in the first here... If you don`t mind me adding to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, both of ya!

Seems to be a fine piece of Rokkor glass! Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be very happy with that lens. I like my old Rokkor QF 200 / 3.5, but this 2.8 would certainly be a lens I'd buy when I see one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos. I was lucky to get an hour or so of sunlight the other day but it should be nicer in coming weeks. I really only took a few shots with it and may have been carried away by the results of a very small lucky sample. Obviously in certain circumstance this lens can create some compelling images (Looking at you Macca!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That flower!
Its not the lens (so much), you found amazing light.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
That flower!

The tulip is quite unusual with a lot going on, purples and oranges and reds and greens and just a hint of ruffle in the top of the petal. . The light was fourish sunshine filtered through a high thin haze.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
That flower!

The tulip is quite unusual with a lot going on, purples and oranges and reds and greens and just a hint of ruffle in the top of the petal. . The light was fourish sunshine filtered through a high thin haze.

yep, quite amazing!! Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks for the kudos. I was lucky to get an hour or so of sunlight the other day but it should be nicer in coming weeks. I really only took a few shots with it and may have been carried away by the results of a very small lucky sample. Obviously in certain circumstance this lens can create some compelling images (Looking at you Macca!)

I feel ya bud. Getting cabin fever up here. Last Saturday was amazing though! Here's one from the top of a little mountain I was on that afternoon Smile: