Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI Reply with quote

For Christmas I wanted to add another Minolta lens to my collection. This time I chose the Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI lens.
It came yesterday. Price was $56 shipped from Japan.
So why so cheap? Well it has fungus, but should clean up easy. It has oil on the aperture blades, again easy to clean.
Unfortunately it has heavy haze in the rear elements, and that is not easy to fix, because its between a cemented pair.

So the real question is with the heavy haze will it retain detail in the image.

Shot on my Nex 6 at f1.8.
[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
For Christmas I wanted to add another Minolta lens to my collection. This time I chose the Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI lens.
It came yesterday. Price was $56 shipped from Japan.
So why so cheap? Well it has fungus, but should clean up easy. It has oil on the aperture blades, again easy to clean.
Unfortunately it has heavy haze in the rear elements, and that is not easy to fix, because its between a cemented pair.

So the real question is with the heavy haze will it retain detail in the image.

Shot on my Nex 6 at f1.8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, not sure why it didn't post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC W HH 35mm f1.8 MCI Reply with quote

Well, your post contains 2 image links, a big one, which is a link, and a small one that is displayed, the small one seems to be broken, possibly the forum doing it to it's self.

The big pic:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20191/big_2562_1DSC02495001_1.jpg

And the small pic:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20191/2562_1DSC02495001_1.jpg

IQ looks quite good, try some backlit subjects, I'd expect the contrast to drop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence, i just saw a Minolta MC-I 1.8/35mm advertised ... i'll get it tomorrow Wink
While the MC-X 1.8/35mm and the later MD models can be found from time to time, the MC-I and MC-II versions are difficult to get here in Switzerland. Details will follow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens. I really like it. It lives in my everyday use bin (as opposed to stuck in the bottom of my MD lens bin which is quite full!) I too have been adding to my Minolta MD mount collection.. I just picked up a 100mm f2 for what I considered a decent price, 115 USD including shipping, no case or back cap but optically and functionally perfect and 8 1/2 maybe 9 on cosmetics. I also got a auto bellow iii which allows some movements. Also I finally pulled the trigger on a 58mm 1.2. It's the version with all metal knurls. Just a fantastic piece of industrial design.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
By coincidence, i just saw a Minolta MC-I 1.8/35mm advertised ... i'll get it tomorrow Wink
While the MC-X 1.8/35mm and the later MD models can be found from time to time, the MC-I and MC-II versions are difficult to get here in Switzerland. Details will follow ...

I just picked up the lens - it did belong to a Swiss journalist living and working in Bern (the capital) which means that this very lens has seen quite a bit of local history during the late 60s and early 70s. Interesting indeed Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to find the 100/2 for $115 USD, great deal, wish it came in MCII.

I lost my first MCII 35/1.8 HH, and had to buy a replacement, that sucked.
My Rokkor MCII family gathering.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I'd love to find the 100/2 for $115 USD, great deal, wish it came in MCII.

I lost my first MCII 35/1.8 HH, and had to buy a replacement, that sucked.
My Rokkor MCII family gathering.

That's a nice set of MC-II stuff indeed Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two siblings - MC-I and MC-X 1.8/35mm:

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the filter ring on the MC-X turn with the focus ring?, I know it does on the 28/2 which bugs me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Does the filter ring on the MC-X turn with the focus ring?, I know it does on the 28/2 which bugs me.

The MC-X 2/28mm is a floating focusing construction; thus the front ring is turning while focusing.
The MC 1.8/35mm (as well as the MC 1.8/35mm) are classical constructions without floating focusing. Their filter ring does not turn while focusing!

And here are a few MC-I lenses (well, the 18mm Fisheye, technically speaking, is not a MC lens, but is was sold during the MC-I era):

On the SR-T, there's a 1.4/58mm, then (in the back row) we have the MC 2/100mm, the MC 2.8/135mm, the MC 4.5/200mm, the MC 3.5/200mm and the MC 4.5/300mm.
In the front row there's the MC 2.8/35mm, the MC 1.8/35mm, the MC 3.5/28mm and the MC 2.5/28mm. And the UW Rokkor 9.5/18mm, of course.

The MC-I lineup marks the transition between more traditional computations such as the 3.5/28mm, the 2.8/35mm, 1.4/58mm, the 2/100, and the 2.8/135mm - and the "new" Rokkors.
The latter (e. g. the 2.5/28mm, the 1.8/35mm, the 2.5/100mm and the 4.5/300mm) were constructed with new sophisticated glass, using the in-house "Super Computer".

Stephan