Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Tele Rokkor QD 135 f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is obviously oversharpened Walter. The one previous to that I would say is possibly slightly oversharpened, but 100% better. This picture proves there is nothing wrong with the camera or with your focussing.

I mentioned before about the difficulty of focussing on strong red colours. There is something peculiar about red which makes it appear blurred sometimes, I prefer "smudged". Also flowers at close range are very difficult because the tiny depth of field cannot cover the whole depth of the subject (not to mention the wind). I think both these explain why the yellow stamens of that flower look very sharp but the petals less so. I appreciate you're stuck with using MD lenses for macros only - I'm in the same boat right now - but before you judge, how about trying a different kind of subject, and preferably not a red one! Smile

I often use the free program Irfanview for quick resizing. In the resizing DB there is an option to resharpen after resizing. You can't set the degree of sharpening, so on smaller files the effect is magnified compared to large ones, and very often it overdoes it. A few disasters have taught me to keep this option turned off and apply sharpening separately, or use USM in Photoshop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The last one is obviously oversharpened Walter. The one previous to that I would say is possibly slightly oversharpened, but 100% better. This picture proves there is nothing wrong with the camera or with your focussing.

I mentioned before about the difficulty of focussing on strong red colours. There is something peculiar about red which makes it appear blurred sometimes, I prefer "smudged". Also flowers at close range are very difficult because the tiny depth of field cannot cover the whole depth of the subject (not to mention the wind). I think both these explain why the yellow stamens of that flower look very sharp but the petals less so. I appreciate you're stuck with using MD lenses for macros only - I'm in the same boat right now - but before you judge, how about trying a different kind of subject, and preferably not a red one! Smile

I often use the free program Irfanview for quick resizing. In the resizing DB there is an option to resharpen after resizing. You can't set the degree of sharpening, so on smaller files the effect is magnified compared to large ones, and very often it overdoes it. A few disasters have taught me to keep this option turned off and apply sharpening separately, or use USM in Photoshop.

Thanks, Peter. I need to practice some with the software to figure where I need to set it at. Belive me the next set I shoot won't have any red in it. Smile Laughing
Seems to be a nice lens, that I will like more as I learn it. I should of mentioned above that the only thing I did to the pictures is resize then sharpen them. No other PP.
I really enjoy using Minolta lenses but I can't wait till I get a Panny G1 or Nex. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old post I know but I just picked up a lovely clean one from ebay. My Rokkor collection is growing. Its a beautiful, smooth lens and I'm going to try it out in a few days. Mine looks like an early MC design with the DOF preview button. It looks shorter than yours too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
An old post I know but I just picked up a lovely clean one from ebay. My Rokkor collection is growing. Its a beautiful, smooth lens and I'm going to try it out in a few days. Mine looks like an early MC design with the DOF preview button. It looks shorter than yours too.

How does that button work? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it work?

When the lens is not on the camera, the aperture is in the closed down position. When you put the lens on the camera, a lever in the body opens it up to full aperture. You can turn the ring through the numbers and nothing happens until you fire the shitter (oops) then it stops down to the selected aperture.

The button stops the lens down manually, it allows you to have a preview of the depth of field. Models of the SRT100 had a DOF preview but later ones didnt. I dont think I've ever found a use for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
How does it work?

When the lens is not on the camera, the aperture is in the closed down position. When you put the lens on the camera, a lever in the body opens it up to full aperture. You can turn the ring through the numbers and nothing happens until you fire the shitter (oops) then it stops down to the selected aperture.

The button stops the lens down manually, it allows you to have a preview of the depth of field. Models of the SRT100 had a DOF preview but later ones didnt. I dont think I've ever found a use for it.

I think the Tamron zoom I just bought has something similar. Not sure.