Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Tele Rokkor PF vs MD Tele Rokkor 135mm F2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Tele Rokkor PF vs MD Tele Rokkor 135mm F2.8 Reply with quote

The contestants (before cleaning sorry Laughing )

If I'm correct, the MC has 6 elements in 5 groups and the MD has 4 elements in 4 groups (I have put this one on a scale as tb_a suggested in another topic and it weighs 528 grams).

The test:
straight out of camera, no PP whatsoever, not even sharpening after resize. on tripod and 10 sec self timer. manual settings so that whitebalance etc didn't change between shots.

MC 2.8

MD 2.8

MC 4

MD 4

MC 5.6

MD 5.6

MC 8

MD 8

I find MD renders slightly warmer 'fuller' colors and is sharper at f2.8 and f4. By f5.6 there is imo no difference in sharpness anymore between the 2 lenses. For CA I don't really see a difference between the 2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the obviously higher contrast of the multi coated one, the differences are too small to be consequential. This is usually the case with good 135mms.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep difference is small
I did find MD way easier to focus at large apartures. For some reason the focus peaking is much clearer and you can instantly tell in the viewfinder/screen when it 'snaps' perfectly into focus. I only had to take one shot.
For the MC I had to shoot different photos with each time a tiny focus change so that I could pick the best one on my PC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the shoot-out, Karen Smile

To my eyes, the Wall-E stands out more at f/2.8 in the MD image. Probably due to the higher contrast and slightly less spherical aberrations. In my experience, this is also the reason the peaking works better. But the bokeh of the MC version is a little more pleasing, because it has less contrast, too and looks a tad softer. And yes, this is the "legendary" MD-I 4/4. It looks identical to my copy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting !karen.
I have both lenses and have not made such an extensive test. I prefer the MD 4 elments. Not only is it sharper wide open but it gives better contrast . The MC can give sometimes washed coulours ( flare?). At the end , I use only the MD.

Last edited by memetph on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrast and resolving power let the MD be focus easily.

I note more ca in the MD images. The same With mine.

MD is a nice lens. but that CA.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus peaking uses contrast detection, so it is natural that a lens with more contrast works better with focus peaking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right! Thanks for that info Very Happy

Maybe a stupid question but is it so that MD lenses are better than their predecessor MC lenses? Or is this not always thecase? I am currently weeding out my collection, I have a lot of doubles MC-MD so it would save me a lot of time if I don't have to test them all side by side like this.

Last edited by !Karen on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

It's just 1 click in Adobe Camera Raw to remove the purple fringing. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost the exact same lenses, except my 4/4 is the MC Tele Rokkor (1975, MC-X)
and i was wondering which one to keep...

I don't always keep the later lenses, even if it appears logical most times....
But in this case, i think i will.

Thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to test the other versions also Laughing
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/171-minolta-135mm-f28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Good overview!

Today I am testing my 28mm minolta lenses!
- mc 28 f3,5
- md 28 f3,5
- mc 28 f2,5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD 3.5 is a nice little lens . Some CA in the corners but easy to correct in PP. It works very well with the A7.
Its problem: it is ridiculously cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Maybe a stupid question but is it so that MD lenses are better than their predecessor MC lenses? Or is this not always thecase? I am currently weeding out my collection, I have a lot of doubles MC-MD so it would save me a lot of time if I don't have to test them all side by side like this.

In my experience: Often, but not always. My MD-II 35 f/2.8 is better than the MC-X W.Rokkor-HG. My MD-II 35 f/1.8 is a mixed bag compared to the MC W.Rokkor-HH: Less CA, but also slightly less resolution. Similar with the MD-I 50 f/1.4 and the MC-X Rokkor-PG: The MC shows minimally higher res but more CA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Shocked

Good overview!

Today I am testing my 28mm minolta lenses!
- mc 28 f3,5
- md 28 f3,5
- mc 28 f2,5

I put my two cents for the 2,5/28.

The best minolta 28 for my taste.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
!Karen wrote:

In my experience: Often, but not always. My MD-II 35 f/2.8 is better than the MC-X W.Rokkor-HG. My MD-II 35 f/1.8 is a mixed bag compared to the MC W.Rokkor-HH: Less CA, but also slightly less resolution. Similar with the MD-I 50 f/1.4 and the MC-X Rokkor-PG: The MC shows minimally higher res but more CA.

I agree with the 50/1,4.

With the 24/2,8 is a similar question.

My MC has better colors and contrast, the MD has less CA, and the borders are a bit, only a bit sharper.

Both are 9/7 formula, but different lenses, having the MD smaller
elements and less important building.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
papasito wrote:

It's just 1 click in Adobe Camera Raw to remove the purple fringing. Wink

Yes Thomas, you have the righ way.

But, in this forum where we speack about the lenses rendering, not only about what can we obtain with th image taken with it, it seems adecuate to know how do the lens resolve power, colors, contrast and aberrations.

Only to know better the lens. After take the pic, all the PP that each one like to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

But, in this forum where we speack about the lenses rendering, not only about what can we obtain with th image taken with it, it seems adecuate to know how do the lens resolve power, colors, contrast and aberrations.
Only to know better the lens. After take the pic, all the PP that each one like to do.

You are certainly right. However, if the only issue is the purple fringing then I just mentioned an easy way to cope with it.
As you rightly said, that's the only real issue with this lens, though there are also sharper lenses around outside the Minolta MF world.
Still didn't compare all my 135mm lenses yet..... Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Need to test the other versions also Laughing
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/171-minolta-135mm-f28

I have the very first one pictured at that site. Love it.

At f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...you have the very first minolta 135/2,8 in sr Mount.

The minolta's collector dream the 7 element 135mm lens.

And by the way. a very good photo taker too.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

No, not the first one, the first one pictured.
MINOLTA 135mm 1: 2.8 (6 lenses / 5 members)
Versions: SR-II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Yep difference is small
I did find MD way easier to focus at large apartures. For some reason the focus peaking is much clearer and you can instantly tell in the viewfinder/screen when it 'snaps' perfectly into focus. I only had to take one shot.
For the MC I had to shoot different photos with each time a tiny focus change so that I could pick the best one on my PC.

This is a very good example of how early MC Rokkors tend to differ from early MD Rokkors wide open and 1f stop further.The MDs are sharper overall and more evenly across the frame.Their corner sharpness catches up quicker with the center,but the center often does not reach the resolution of the MCs.MDs have warmer colour rendition,and better contrast,but images are less crisp somehow and have harsher OOF blurr.

After stopping by 2 f stops,pictures are very difficult to be told apart,save the bokeh.This is very often true with other focal lengths either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
papasito wrote:

No, not the first one, the first one pictured.
MINOLTA 135mm 1: 2.8 (6 lenses / 5 members)
Versions: SR-II

Oh..I'm sorry.