Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 85mm/F1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

I have both versions, the f/1.7 and f/2. I must say that the slower lens is MUCH sharper wide open compared to the f/1.7 sibling. I'll even go as far as saying that the Rokkor 85/2 is the sharpest 85mm f/2 lens among the few that I own (and that includes OM Zuiko, Pentax and Nikon versions).

You're right, especially wide open the F2 version is the sharper one. However, the older MC F1.7 (my lens as shown above) has the softer bokeh (NOT the newer MD F1.7 which is a different construction and is in terms of bokeh like the F2 version).
So depending on your needs either lenses could be the better choice. Wink
For classical portraits I would say that the older version wins (at least for my taste).
I have only the Pentax Super-Takumar 85mm/F1.9 (M42) and in direct comparison to my old MC Rokkor 85mm/F1.7 I tend to say that also in terms of sharpness the Rokkor wins. I will do a direct comparison in the foreseeable future....

A very good comparison of the different 85mm Rokkors can be found here: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm