Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC 58mm 1.2 or Canon FD 55mm 1.2 ssc aspherical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC 58mm 1.2 or Canon FD 55mm 1.2 ssc aspherical Reply with quote

I am intending to get a really good ultrafast normal I can only justify one of these two as they are relatively expensive.
Factoring bokeh, sharpness wide open, and price which would you get and why. Obviously the Canon is more expensive but not way more expensive. Is that just due to supply? Or is it a better optic (in general) than the Minolta? Bokeh differences? Sharpness divfferences? Aberrations? I've not researched it but I would guess they are both planar designs, correct?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is the Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm/F1.2 for best bokeh and Pentax K SMC 50mm/F1.2 for best sharpness wide open. I like both very much.

BTW, the Pentax should be available for something like USD/EUR 200 already and is therefore cheaper as well.

I've compared them here: http://forum.mflenses.com/comparison-of-fast-50s-t76796.html

Unfortunately I didn't compare them on my FF Sony A7R II yet. Maybe I'll do that in the foreseeable future as well (together with my new 7Artisans 50mm/F1.1 lens).

For the Pentax lens check also this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-50mm-F1.2-Lens.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC 58mm 1.2 or Canon FD 55mm 1.2 ssc aspherical Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I am intending to get a really good ultrafast normal I can only justify one of these two as they are relatively expensive.
Factoring bokeh, sharpness wide open, and price which would you get and why. Obviously the Canon is more expensive but not way more expensive. Is that just due to supply? Or is it a better optic (in general) than the Minolta? Bokeh differences? Sharpness divfferences? Aberrations? I've not researched it but I would guess they are both planar designs, correct?

These are both good lenses with a rather different character, the Canon may be a little bit sharper at f/1.2 but the out of focus rendering is a little harsher. That may or may not suit your style. For most subjects I like the character of the Rokkor better.

That said, I often take the Canon FD 50/1.2 L instead of the other f1.2 lenses simply because it is a lot less heavy and also a good performer..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also like to consider the Canon FL 55mm f1.2.
It is a seven element design.
It can sometimes be found cheaper than the FD.
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/fl105.html
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
You might also like to consider the Canon FL 55mm f1.2.
It is a seven element design.
It can sometimes be found cheaper than the FD.
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/fl105.html
Tom

In my experience, the FD is a lot better in the CA departmen.

And, in comparison between the FD and the SR, the CA is a lot better in the FD

SR win in Bokeh, to my taste.

Beauty images from both

The 58 mm is a focal more attractive to me than the 55 mm.

But the CA for my is the element that does the FD the winner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is PORST UMC 50/1.2. The price is more acceptable than Minolta ones and the wide-open sharpness is better. In fact the PORST one is the Fujinon 50/1.2.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm unfamiliar with the porst. I currently have the Canon 58mm 1.2 the Canon 55mm1.2 (not the aspherical) and a Konica 57mm 1.2. I thought the aspherical was sharper and better corrected for aberration. The konica has gorgeous bokeh but is pretty soft wide open. I was looking for a bit more resolution wide open. Other suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Hmm unfamiliar with the porst. I currently have the Canon 58mm 1.2 the Canon 55mm1.2 (not the aspherical) and a Konica 57mm 1.2. I thought the aspherical was sharper and better corrected for aberration. The konica has gorgeous bokeh but is pretty soft wide open. I was looking for a bit more resolution wide open. Other suggestions welcome.
If you think Konica 57/1.2 is soft wide open, I suggest you don't try to touch the two Minoltas, bcoz one of my friends tested the three lens and told me Konica is the sharpest one among them, and the Minolta 58/1.2 is the worst one on sharpness in the three.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Out of curiosity and because I've learned from a trustworthy source that the EBC X-Fujinon (AKA UMC Porst) 50mm/1.2 should be better than the Canon lens (which is regarded to be one of the sharper ones) I've ordered a copy in pristine condition.

I'm really curios how it will compare to my SMC Pentax-K 50mm/F1.2 and Minolta MC 58mm/F1.2 lenses.

BTW, according to a comparison test from a well regarded German photo magazine from the early 1980's the Konica 57mm/F1.2 is by far the weakest one wide open. Unfortunately neither the X-Fujinon nor the older Minolta 58mm participated in this test.
The best ones in terms of center sharpness wide open have been the Pentax followed by the two different Canon 55mm lenses and the Minolta 50mm/F1.2.

I will compare the Fuji lens with my existing F1.2 ones and let you know the outcome. Should be possible within the next week.....

Edit 2018/11/24: As promised, the comparison of this Fujinon lens with my other fast ones can be found in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/ultra-fast-normal-lenses-on-a7r-ii-t79965.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

The Rokkor 58 1.2 is almost identical in render to the Konica 57mm 1.2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some comparisions

https://www.paulmarbrook.com/50mm-55mm-58mm-prime-lens-on-sony-a7s/