Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta DLP projection lens on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Minolta DLP projection lens on NEX-3 Reply with quote

This is a huge 3.5kg lens used for digital cinema projection, originally cost over 20 grand, I paid 10 bucks as I was curious to see what properties such an advanced and fully modern high end optic posesses and what it performs like as a taking lens, what with it's multiple aspheric surfaces, exotic glasses and advanced coatings, it might be rather interesting.

I like it's performance close up very much, the bokeh is very smooth and it's very sharp indeed, sadly it has some LoCA, particularly on OOF areas. However, it's the character and vivid Minolta colours I like most, it also has extremely strong contrast, both micro and macro.

Most of these were taken in terrible, awful light, due to the recent bad weather here.

#9 This one shows the incredible vibrancy of the colours. I shot this late evening in a dull, grey overcast, but all I have done is turn up the brightness a bit, not touched the colours in any way but look how bright and vivid they are, something Minolta is well known for.

100% crop, I didn't notice the tiny slug when I was taking the picture:

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great, i'd love to see how you attached the NEX to lens! (or: how big the lens is compared to your NEX!)

Have you tried correcting CA in LR?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a picture of the lens, Ill post it later.

Yes, I can remove the CA in many instances but not all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great results!

what is the focal lenght around?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I think it's somewhere around 35-135mm at a constant f2 or perhaps f2 to f2.1 or f2.2 at the long end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots Ian,sharp or what! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine results! I especially like the drops on the bench arm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. The sharpness was being masked by a diffuse glow until I fitted a baffle to the rear, that removed it almost completely, leaving just enough to give it a nice character. You can see the remaining glow in the shot of the rose flower, I think it adds something to the image, a certain 'look' which is very pleasant to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!