Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta AF 4-4.5/28-135 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Minolta AF 4-4.5/28-135 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

Picked one of these up dirt cheap because it had a load of fungus on the back of the front glass. I cleaned it, and judging from the results, the fungus hasn't done any damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Very nice shoots, Ian!
I like the "Road to the Church" very much.

The "secret handshake" is a very capable lens with an useful range but, unfortunately, a bit too heavy and big for my taste. That's the reason I sold mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dan.

I don't mind the large size as I'm using it on an a850 that is hardly small nor lightweight either, so the combo works for me.

I will say this though - the smaller, cheaper 28-85 AF is a very viable alternative as I see very little difference in IQ to the 28-135.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Seems like a nice lens, glad you were able to clean it successfully.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I will say this though - the smaller, cheaper 28-85 AF is a very viable alternative as I see very little difference in IQ to the 28-135.

Following your recommendation in another thread I got a 35-105 AF and I'm very content with it - the best range (for me), light weight, not too big and nice IQ. It's the only AF "normal zoom" I'm using now (though not too often - I prefer primes).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear Dan. I honestly couldn't pick a favourite between the 28-85 and 35-105, they are both great.

A trio of recent 28-85 shots, processed obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three from the 35-105, back in 2014. The picture of the boats still amazes me that it was taken with a 1980s zoom lens rather than a prime, of course, the light was very good which always helps, but to my eyes, the IQ is pretty amazing for a lens that you can buy for 20-30ukp. Also, this lens and the 28-85 are classic examples of what people refer to as 'Minolta colours' - they render the colour palette in a particularly nice way, which I have read is due to how Minolta took great pains with the choice of coatings on each lens element to ensure they rendered colours in the classical Minolta style. The 70-210 beercan (still my favourite long lens after owning it since 1993) has the Minolta colours too, always vibrant and well saturated, perhaps a little on the warm side, but to my eyes, beautiful.