Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta 50mm f1.4 MC Rokkor PG
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Minolta 50mm f1.4 MC Rokkor PG Reply with quote

I did shoot with this lens today before I have to sold it among to my friend. I did know this is a good lens, but to see with own eyes that is a different experience ... How about you ? Do you have this model ? Opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, can you describe a bit more with photos? Thx.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite lenses!!
Spectacular rendering and great in low-light!

Here is a couple taken with this lens from my photo feed:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Moment-in-Time-Imagery/312936945398824

Taken on my Nex-5 using my Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4

I must admit I scored mine for a relative bargain as it had fungus, I had it repaired straight away buy my mate Max Dellaway, and it is great! I can see some imperfections in the multi-coating due to the fungus, but the lens still shoots great and is easily one of my favorites! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one indeed Hood!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same as mine. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a newer version, just says Minolta, made in 1981 I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also one of my favourite lenses Smile

(made with MC Rokkor 50mm 1.4 wide open, cold Parodinal and Superpan 200)

I had the MC Rokkor (think it was wit 55mm filter mount) and the more modern MD Rokkor 49mm and 55mm version.
All are very good. The MD Rokkor 55mm version was a tack better in direct comparision than MC and MD 49mm version, but that's maybe quality speading. Then MC version was a little heavier than the MD versions to my hands.
I sold the MC and the MD 49mm version for ~60€ on the bay (http://www.ebay.de/itm/260929501095?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649)

Rendering is very similar with all three versions.

Made with MD 49mm version on NEX on a festival:

[mornig, wide open, digital red filter, BW conversion]

[midday, F5.6, a little saturation + in PP, 100% view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/5828461379/sizes/o/in/photostream/ ]

[evening, wide open, OOC, my longest hand held shot ever bye the way (1.3s@ISO1600)]

The colors are not the typical "minolta colors". The microcontrast is lower than with Minolta 50mm F2, 45mm F2 (and I think also 50mm F1,7) and modern Sony 50mm F1.8. But it's already sharp wide open and my most used lens for 35mm film.

A very good lens for partys as the lens is sharp wide open Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:41 am; edited 12 times in total

revers wrote:
Mine is a newer version, just says Minolta, made in 1981 I think.

Does it have the orange marking or the older classic Minolta green markings?

How would you like yours Ron ? I found very sharp lens with great bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood, those are impressive images. The lens helps, but someone has to know how to use it. Cool

I'm with Ron ( I think ? ) mine's a later MD Rokkor 50 1.4, and I've never used it.......yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lloydy, you are too kind.
With today great little digitals like the Nex and great classic glass like this one by Minolta are a combination I find that are just screaming 'just point me at something beautiful and I will do the rest!' Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My result with this lens, even unprocessed wide open shoots are sharp and nice, but I like PP version of course better.
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-pg-mc-t46695.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is my second ever lens and came with my Minolta SRT-102 in the early '70s. It's the same as yours, Attila, except an earlier serial number starting with 307.. and has a red dot instead of the raised red mount indicator. Today, and until I can get a NEX, I can only use it for close-up with an adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MC Rokkor X PG 50 1.4 which is after yours, Attila, but before Ron's.
I got my adapter for my G1 today, but only had time for a couple shots. This shot is crap, but it does show the bokeh at f1.4 in bright light. I will post a couple more shots after a little practise with my new camera. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Hood

Quote seems to be missing.

The ft scale is in orange.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, those are great shoots! I like especially lizard!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How would you like yours Ron ? I found very sharp lens with great bokeh.

Found the "Quote" it was off screen right. Embarassed

I am happy with this lens Attila, here is a shot from it @ f2.

Name: P1080429sm.jpg (Edit)

File Size: 389 kb - 800 x 600

Camera Make: Panasonic

Camera Model: DMC-G1

Date/Time: 2011:10:28 20:28:15

Resolution: 800 x 600

Flash Used: No

Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)

Aperture: f/1.0

ISO Equiv.: 3200

Exposure Bias: 0.33

Metering Mode: center weight

Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my first manual lens that I bought Smile
But at that time I used it only as reversed lens for macro. I was not into manual lens world yet Smile

Later on when I already became a MF freak, I converted it to EOS mount.
Well, it glows at wide open. Maybe due to a thin cleaning marks on the rear element.
The bokeh is smooth in some condition, much smoother than Zeiss 50/1.4 C/Y but in other condition it's more horrible than Zeiss (radial bokeh) Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never really grew fond of my copy. it's quite soft wide open (even when on a tripod) and it glows too much for my tastes. it might look good for B&W but i prefer using my canon FD 50/1.4 and M42 super takumar 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: What's the number (serial) mean? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm still very new to photography but I just bought one of these lenses for $10 at a garage sale. It was filthy but I have cleaned it up and it looks very good.

What I want to know is the meaning of numbers at the front of the lens rim. Mine has - 3395765

Is this a serial number?

Also, can this lens work on my Nikon D3200?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi parabellumfoto, yes it's the Lens' serial number, and no the lens won't easily be used on a Nikon, the registration difference is too big, you could possibly use an adapter with a built in lens that will give you infinity focus, but the IQ will suffer, or you would have to do some lens mount surgery.
But for $10 you can hold onto it till/if you get a mirrorless camera.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Hi parabellumfoto, yes it's the Lens' serial number, and no the lens won't easily be used on a Nikon, the registration difference is too big, you could possibly use an adapter with a built in lens that will give you infinity focus, but the IQ will suffer, or you would have to do some lens mount surgery.

But for $10 you can hold onto it till/if you get a mirrorless camera.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has become my 'go to' lens for the NEX, it's such a good lens. I have also just bought the older MC Rokkor PF 50 1.7, which is entirely different, so I need to shoot them back to back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love this lens!

Here are some more shots. Marvellous macro but you need to be careful because the depth of field is very narrow when aperture is wide open.

My bee shot is a good example.

And this ..........

Both images were sharpened in post processing.